• Forum membership has its advantages....

What are the ODDS of Finishing Baja 1000 on your first try?

djdrew8

I chased for a moto team out of St. Louis in the '07 40th anniversary to Cabo, who not only finished in the one only try, but had never competitively raced anything-anywhere. Believe time limit was 54 hours, and we did it in 41 and change. But, not without blood, sweat, and tears and some all important luck! We watched Dust to Glory and said.....hell yeah, let's go try it. Still to date, the one coolest things I've ever done or been a part of.

Bryan J

I was lucky enough to finish on my first attempt at the 1000 with Tom Bird and his crew in 2010.

Last year i was lucky enough to race it with my racing family, AGS Racing. 80% of the crew were Baja newbies. But we planned meticulously, got a great prep from Rulo at ORAF, planned some more, spread our crews out accordingly, and put safety above all else. Not only did we finish, but we were competitive (go figure).

Listen to the people who have done it before, prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

Slippery P

Your odds are only as good as your prep and your effort, in Baja you never give up!

MikeAdams

5 hour energy. that stuff really work?
I took one right before I got in the car at last years thousand at around midnight . The car broke and we couldn’t keep going around 1am... and stayed the night in the car. I did not sleep the entire time and was alert until I finally crashed the next day.

I’m pretty certain it took one day of my life away lol..

Speed SXS

The average finishing rate is 40% but you can always improve it with lot of preparation. Racing Baja is the experience of a lifetime and, even if you break down, you'll create new memories that'll keep you fervent until the next Baja. Plus, sleeping in the desert is not a big deal and the stars are beautiful.

retroblazer

IMG_2496.jpg

Did somebody say, race camping? After spending the night solo at last year’s San Felipe 250, I was reminded of why you should have some gear with you.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Last edited:

51rcr

We finished the 50th in a Vintage jeep but not in official time. Took 58 hours. We broke stuff we never broke. Had lots of down time. Broke and doing repairs and slow going to make it to the parts and stuck also. One of our team drove a BC car some before. The rest of us, we had never chased or been down the peninsula. Looking at stuck times and each repair time and speed lost to get to parts it would have been pretty easy to make time. But if it was easy and you didnt have problems it would be amazing. I 100% knew we could make it. A little bummed we didnt in time. I knew that could be close give or take some time if it went well and had fewer or small issues.
A lap vs peninsula would be a factor also.
Its a must do nothing compares to it. Most dont have any idea what all it takes to do it.

retroblazer

View attachment 193457

This actually looks very romantic. Just you, your truck, and a warm fire under the Baja stars ;)
Yeah that’s just as I was thinking, not! I just kept thinking how the hell do I get this 5,000 pound lump back to the road. And what a moron I was to go solo, as in, no crew, and no parts. I had successfully run the Mint earlier in the month, but none of my crew was available, but I had made a commitment to SCORE to run SF in an effort to get the Class 3 rules changed, something I had been working on for ten years.

retroblazer

IMG_2502.jpg

They sent a helicopter out to find me. He offered to take me back to SF to regroup. I mentioned that I didn’t have my normal team with me, but I had met up with some dirt biker buddies that were in SF. When I didn’t come back, they started looking for me. They drove their stock Tacoma on the course until 1 am, but got to the point they had to turn back. They reached out to Roger and the Scorpion Jeep Club of SF in the morning. Roger asked his friend with the copter to take a look, and credit to the Scorpions, they sent three fully equipped Jeeps.
So when the copter pilot got to me, I told I wasn’t going to leave the Blazer. He was nice enough to leave me a six pack of Fiji water and some Doritos.
After he flew away, I finally figured out what had actually broken, and was able to lock the driveline, and drove back to SF.

Josh 8

Retro... That’s awesome!!!!

You should get an award. I don’t know for what....

But that is awesome!!!!!

Your either the most or thee most...

I can’t decide.

Lol

Last edited:

M.Tornel Jr

I am not so pessimistic on the odds man! Just make sure you do your prerunning, have chase crews at the right locations and go at your own pace. I think youll be solid. Enjoy the ride.

Jangaard

Go look up the finishing rate for the first Baja 1000. There is your answer. 100 % of the participants had no baja 1000 experience.