what are thoughts on leaf sprung prerunners?

that BMX dude

RDC Crypto
I have an 05 Silverado that I thinking about building into a prerunner I am going to get a dirt king long travel kit and it should be strapped at about 18" of travel in the front. for the rear of the truck I was thinking abut getting a leaf over kit and running Deaver u182 leaf springs with a 3.0x16 king bypass. I think that the leaf springs will perform good if I have the bypass tuned correctly. what are some thoughts to do to the truck or any other ideas. Thank you.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Spend the money up front to link it on coilovers. Or spend more than that over time to keep replacing leafs. No cheap way to prerun.
I think it’s worth defining what is meant by “prerunning” here. I think there’s a decent chance that he’s not talking about what you’re talking about.

that BMX dude

RDC Crypto
I think it’s worth defining what is meant by “prerunning” here. I think there’s a decent chance that he’s not talking about what you’re talking about.
I am talking about driving hard in the desert and keeping a fast pace. but it will be more for hard playing than prerunning.

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
I think a properly set up leaf sprung rear can work and be reliable. You just have to limit travel and prevent the springs from getting to neutral. Chris always drives very hard and maxed out everything in his builds, whether a prerunner or a racer. Preventing the leaves from getting to neutral(flat) and beyond means a little less travel, but a much longer life. Know your vehicles limitations, live within them, and you will be fine.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
dont forget your ' 2link' set up , leafs are fine, until you drop in the 700 hp fire breather, then if your that fast, well, you'll know what to do👍

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
Even with a 2 link like the Autofab set, leaf's rapidly become a liability when the travel goes up. Not only are they flexing up and down, but they are twisting from articulation and getting pushed and pulled from acceleration and braking.

A 4 link isolates the spring from all this so all it has to do is be a spring. Plus they are much easier to change rates and preload on.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
leafs are for learning off road, they are allready on your future race car, might as well get your moneys worth outta them, Then , once they are toast, u can toss them into your soon to be bigger pile of broken dreams, then After mastering the leafs off roading, its time to step up to rear links& coilovers👍

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
RDC Crypto
Website
www.upr.com
You need 4 leaf springs, 2 straight axles and 12 shocks to be in the Mucho Macho Club...Not for Wussies as Sal said.

With the right springs, proper shock valving and realistic performance expectations you'll be fine.

But...if a properly built modern linked truck is within your means, I highly recommend one.

Attachments

• 20210705_193102.jpg
    20210705_193102.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

SMS81

RDC Crypto
You need 4 leaf springs, 2 straight axles and 12 shocks to be in the Mucho Macho Club...Not for Wussies as Sal said.

With the right springs, proper shock valving and realistic performance expectations you'll be fine.

But...if a properly built modern linked truck is within your means, I highly recommend one.
Thanks Ferris.

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
I played in a '73 K5. Deaver springs front and rear. King 2.5 shocks valved for the truck. 350 engine pushing 425 HP/475TQ. 35" BFG's 3.73 gears. 12"F/18"R travel. Worked great and had a lot of fun in it. daily drove it, played in the Pismo dunes with it, Ran some of the race courses in Baja with it.

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto

Give us a run down on how cheap your leaf sprung rebuild cost versus a 4 link? And I love the La Paz paint Jeff!