What class to run with kids?

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Yeah good point. I wish we would have gone 1600 first just so I didn’t have to hear all the crap from the 1600 guys that only TT guys that drive 1600 first are worthy.

Haha

My biggest point was if you want to race the Mint or BITD I wouldn’t do a 1600.

Mike

Last edited:

Zac Reish

RDC Crypto
Yeah good point. I wish we would have gone 1600 first just so I didn’t have to hear all the crap from the 1600 guys that only TT guys that drive 1600 first are worthy.

Haha

My biggest point was if you want to race the Mint or BITD I wouldn’t do a 1600.

Mike
Why would racing in Jean or as you know it the MINT not make sense in a 1600 car?

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
RDC Crypto
Why would racing in Jean or as you know it the MINT not make sense in a 1600 car?
I believe the point he is making is that BITD and the Mint don't cater to 1600, 9 etc. and therefore the entries in those classes suck. The Mint tries to incentivize the smaller classes, but its still way more money to race essentially the same course as SNORE.

mgobaja

RDC Crypto
1/2-1600 is a decent place, and if trying to watch dollars spent, considering running in sportsman for a season until they have some seat time.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Because nobody shows up?
Historically...but we might be looking at 10+ entries for December. Not really Mike's point, but just wanted to say we might see some folks at the Mint this year that we don't normally see.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
I was talking about terrain and miles.

When you are new you are just racing against yourself and the desert anyway. So having a competitive field is not important.

But I can’t imagine being new and racing a 1600 for 400 miles in the mint is a good idea. Yes it can be done and I am sure the veteran 1600 guys would love it but not something I would want my kids doing. Plus you will be a tiny car mixed in with heavier cars.

It comes down to understanding your goals and make sure you get into a car that can achieve those goals. Our first year goal was to just finish, which we did. Now we want to be faster and can’t finish. Haha

Mike

TrophyBurro

RDC Crypto
So I have been around racing for 20 or so years and have been involved in just about every class in one way or another. I was just looking for some input from people that are running the two classes I am looking at or have been in the position I am in. I have been looking at either class 11 or 2000 to build a car to race with my two 14 year old kids. The few big factors are ease of driving as I would like to have them be able to work into the driver seat. Budget is that of a medically retired vet working as a machinist, so not very big. Car counts as I like having competition and the challenge, my therapy from my military experiences.

I am currently involved with co-driving a class 11 and am up to date on what it will take to build a competitive car for that class but what about class 2000? I was thinking a Toyota pickup built light and simple? Or is there are other class I should be looking at?
Thinking the same thing last week or so. I am leaning towards a sxs or a 7200 truck. However kid is only 9 at the moment lol

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
here's the kicker, my old jeepspeed coulda been turned back into a street legal xj fairly easily , and take my sorry broke but back to work monday morning( 1700 is a really stable class, And you can progress in class's in the same car,

Last edited:

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
I do like Jeepspeed. They have great support at the races.

Lots of great things about jeepspeed

Mike

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
Great low cost racing, they have fun and help each other out. Stuff I like to see
My favorite was at parker a few years ago one team broke in the sand, another brought out ATF, threw it out the windows as they went by.

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
Man Mike, you really do hate buggies! LOL I disagree with pretty much everything you just said. Who cares about the Mint or BITD? Oh, you do. The Mint is nothing more than running the SNORE race course that SNORE has been running for years, before the new Mint even began. Any car, even you guys in your truck, can race the same course for a lot less with Snore and probably have a better payback than what the Mint will offer your class for a much lower entry fee. You should check it out. Snore cares about ALL the classes, not just the ones that require 6 figures to buy into. That's why they see 40+ 1600 cars a couple times a year at their races.

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
MORE and SNORE are great series for entry level racing in classic classes, but there is reasons why the top tier and UTV crowd dont show up for them, now you want great 1600, 5, 9s and 12s, they are great options.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Bro

You are right. LOL I had a sand car that scarred me for life. Always changing CV’s Axles, and hubs. Just typing this is giving me PTSD.

Not saying you have to spend 6 figures and yes for some the More/Snore is where it’s at. But some want to run the bigger rougher races.

Mike

Viola1685

RDC Crypto
I was talking about terrain and miles.

When you are new you are just racing against yourself and the desert anyway. So having a competitive field is not important.

But I can’t imagine being new and racing a 1600 for 400 miles in the mint is a good idea. Yes it can be done and I am sure the veteran 1600 guys would love it but not something I would want my kids doing. Plus you will be a tiny car mixed in with heavier cars.

It comes down to understanding your goals and make sure you get into a car that can achieve those goals. Our first year goal was to just finish, which we did. Now we want to be faster and can’t finish. Haha

Mike
Mike I thought you might get a kick out of another 1600 guy busting balls. We just sold our class 10 and trying to move to class 1 but 1600 will always be near and dear to my heart.

For races like the mint and Parker they spilt the 1600’s into different heats so not much in the way of heavier cars against them. When I started in 1600 we were on the course with 55 tt and 70 class 1’s in Parker so it’s not that big of a deal especially now.

My big point is a 1600 is a great place for kids to learn and not spend a huge budget. We raced a whole 2011 season with bitd and the whole season was less then 10k.

All just depends on goals and as the thread starter stated sounds like budget is a deciding factor.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
i found it Quite exhilarating having RG pass you in the hi speed rally section at Parker,that was fun

usmcgunrock

RDC Crypto
Ok so I get the 1600 class. And yes I do know how to work with my back. I have been in races in cars from class 12, 11, 10, 1, TT, UTV… I know what it takes physically in each of those classes from personal experience. My favorite being class 10. Yes 1600 is the way to go to start a career in racing. And if the kids really get into it then I can look at that. But I first need to teach them to drive. They are only 13. I have a old tmag challenger that I need to restore and I can put them in that after they have a few years under their belt with me in a car. When I started this thread I had forgot about class 1700 jeepspeed. And the more I am thinking about it the more I like that idea. Limited travel, limited hp, and can be 4wd. Should make for a very easy combo to drive. I would also make it three seats as I am involved with Warfighter Made and Desert Vets Racing and could have another vet in the third seat at every race. Jeepspeed seems like the one that can find a place to race at all organizations also as it fits (under dog in some) class 1700, 7100, 2000, 7f, or maybe even 7s depending on how it’s built. Also could fit a KOH class. I will have to sit down and open some rule books and see.

J BomBer

RDC Crypto
Class 11 would be a good starter, the most expensive parts are the engine and trans, properly prepping a 516/1600 car is much more expensive then a class 11, nothing teaches you how to read terrain more then a class 11 does.