• Forum membership has its advantages....

What did you guys think of Millens maiden voyage ?

masleca

I saw a ton of UTVs mixed with Specs and 10s around rm32 this year.
Maybe another way to say that would be to say that there were a whole ton of Specs and 10's that fell back into the UTV's also ?
Because there were also quite a few Specs and 10's that were able to check out.

Whenever there's a major obstacle like this, the more experienced (...and the lucky ones) get through and the others fall back into the pack. I'm going to say it, so flame away, but Spec has the lowest ratio of quality, experienced drivers vs. inexperienced Donkeys with large wallets.

Once the Donkeys start clogging up the course, the 10 guys get hosed. By the time things get sorted, the UTV's are on them in full attack mode. There's a TON of talent and experience in the UTV classes too.

bajafox

Accepted
Maybe another way to say that would be to say that there were a whole ton of Specs and 10's that fell back into the UTV's also ?
Because there were also quite a few Specs and 10's that were able to check out.

Whenever there's a major obstacle like this, the more experienced (...and the lucky ones) get through and the others fall back into the pack. I'm going to say it, so flame away, but Spec has the lowest ratio of quality, experienced drivers vs. inexperienced Donkeys with large wallets.

Once the Donkeys start clogging up the course, the 10 guys get hosed. By the time things get sorted, the UTV's are on them in full attack mode. There's a TON of talent and experience in the UTV classes too.
There were several bottle necks before rm30 that let this happen. Looking at the finish times it sorted itself out and UTVs fell back

jon coleman

as a race fan junkie, long as its fast& scary, oh, AND LOUD, its ALL good.love more& more interest in off roading.my biggest fear is us vet.offroad fans get subjected to the PC bull s t that nascar put the fans through.i hope off road stays the ' coolest' motorsport

ltr450rider

I would bet that this car was not being driven at more than 75% of it's capabilities this race. I still have my doubts about the driveline layout, I am surprised it made it through this race as it is.

Scary thought: Can you imagine the outcry when someone builds a 4wd and starts winning in class 10! :eek:

ltr450rider

Can you elaborate on this?
This same layout has been used in some other rally cross type cars before with some difficulty.

The mid engine, rear transaxle 4WD layout with the front output having to come all the way from the rear of the transaxle to the front via multiple driveshafts (3 is what I have seen in the pictures of this car) and joints leaves a lot of moving pieces, and to me, that means failure points.

I believe that the car will do OK when run at a less than full out pace, as is how I feel it worked this past race. But I fear the complication of the drive system will be a weak link when required to push hard.

I have the same thoughts about the current 4WD trucks. I can almost guarantee that Bryce (or any other 4WD truck for that matter) was not pushing that truck to it's full potential, especially through the rough stuff knowing that the front drive components are on the verge of failure. Better to get a finish than sitting on the side of the road in most of the sponsored driver situations.

az_amsoil

I have the same thoughts about the current 4WD trucks. I can almost guarantee that Bryce (or any other 4WD truck for that matter) was not pushing that truck to it's full potential, especially through the rough stuff knowing that the front drive components are on the verge of failure. Better to get a finish than sitting on the side of the road in most of the sponsored driver situations.
Bryce couldn't run over 100MPH because the engine tune was off for the first 260 miles. Said James Lin reprogrammed the motor at the pit before Mikes turnoff...The Ultra4 cars seems to hold up?? IDK shorter races but they beat the hell outta diffs with all the torque they produce in rock crawling.

harleys dad

Bryce couldn't run over 100MPH because the engine tune was off for the first 260 miles. Said James Lin reprogrammed the motor at the pit before Mikes turnoff...The Ultra4 cars seems to hold up?? IDK shorter races but they beat the hell outta diffs with all the torque they produce in rock crawling.
you can hear it when Bryce was battling RG in the infield

BajaFand

This same layout has been used in some other rally cross type cars before with some difficulty.

The mid engine, rear transaxle 4WD layout with the front output having to come all the way from the rear of the transaxle to the front via multiple driveshafts (3 is what I have seen in the pictures of this car) and joints leaves a lot of moving pieces, and to me, that means failure points.

I believe that the car will do OK when run at a less than full out pace, as is how I feel it worked this past race. But I fear the complication of the drive system will be a weak link when required to push hard.

Once the tune was fixed Bryce made up well over 10min on the field in 150 miles and finished just 2min down before the penalty, I’d say that’s pushing pretty hard. But with how impressive that truck is in the technical is lacks in the rough stuff. Sometimes in life you just draw the short straw

Sourapus just ran a fast problem free testing race at the MORE 300 and won it. Andy’s new AWD truck is no joke and I think the rest of the field has some work to do.

ltr450rider

True for the first half for Menzies, but what about the 2nd half.

The Ultra 4 guys are having issues as well, but as you said, shorter races. I also don't think they are running through the big whoops at speed like the TT does. The constant shock loading at those speeds kills driveline parts. While crawling might put a hard load on the driveline, it's not the same as jack hammering the diff for 500 miles.

ltr450rider

Once the tune was fixed Bryce made up well over 10min on the field in 150 miles and finished just 2min down before the penalty, I’d say that’s pushing pretty hard. But with how impressive that truck is in the technical is lacks in the rough stuff. Sometimes in life you just draw the short straw

Sourapus just ran a fast problem free testing race at the MORE 300 and won it. Andy’s new AWD truck is no joke and I think the rest of the field has some work to do.
I am not doubting that they are not fast at all. In fact, I think my point is being proven to the speed they do have with how the vehicles are being driven under thier full potential to keep them alive. Once this driveline gets sorted out, I believe 4WD will be the winning platform.

Bro_Gill

Have you paid attention to the size of the CV joints used by the 200hp SxSs? Tiny compared to 2wd rear engine buggies. But I have heard that running them in 2wd on anything other than hard[pack really destroys them. This makes sense since with 4 wheels pulling instead of 2, there would be less shock to the driveline since forward motion is spread out more. My guess is a 4wd with 934 CVs will handle 37" tires and 600 hp just fine.

Robin Hood

Have you paid attention to the size of the CV joints used by the 200hp SxSs? Tiny compared to 2wd rear engine buggies. But I have heard that running them in 2wd on anything other than hard[pack really destroys them. This makes sense since with 4 wheels pulling instead of 2, there would be less shock to the driveline since forward motion is spread out more. My guess is a 4wd with 934 CVs will handle 37" tires and 600 hp just fine.
:oops:It gets really expensive to guess in racing...

burninfuel

Yea TT are going down to 35 spline axles when they prove awd works.
And only change tires between races

Last edited:

ht racing

what i don't get is how you test and come up with a tune that bad at the start of a race. wtf was his guy thinking there it sounded bad.

51rcr

what i don't get is how you test and come up with a tune that bad at the start of a race. wtf was his guy thinking there it sounded bad.
the start it self was prolly a loaded up motor. At KOH almost every tuck ran like crap till they got out of the infield. I was blown away that they never cleared there engines out after sitting and idling to warm up for hours.

ht racing

the start it self was prolly a loaded up motor. At KOH almost every tuck ran like crap till they got out of the infield. I was blown away that they never cleared there engines out after sitting and idling to warm up for hours.
yea weird he would of beat RG anyway to the corner if his truck ran right. rob pulled him after the start. that was is tuners fault if anything.

ace_photo

GET SOME
Rhys was the fastest vehicle at RM380. That thing ripped right through the silt. Was impressive.

harleys dad

I dont know where you get your info but as far as running 2 wd in a utv I have over 1500 miles of hard pre running on mine and like all cars if the set up is right cvs are not a issue at all. they are very expensive but no problem and I run 2 wheel drive a lot as I am sure a lot do