• Forum membership has its advantages....

What do you think?

sirhk100

I posted a while back about Perry McNeil and his suspension and it turned into a pretty length thread. Before that I was pretty set on his kit but then a lot of people had me thinking about problems with it and things that just aren't necessary so here's my next plan. Let me know what you think about htis setup and how it may perform. This is on a '92 4WD Ford Exploder with the front TTB system.

Autofab or Camburg 4WD reworked beams (Pros and cons would be great between thes two)
Camburg heimed radius arms,
SAW dual rate coilovers,
H&M tig welded chromoly upper hoops and engine supports

This would run me $3200 installed and H&M claim it would get 14"-15" w/4WD or 17"-18" without the axles in.

Also down the line I would consider adding SAW bumps also.

I think with this setup I could get away without having to run glass fenders at first cause the wheels would probably tuck into the fenders.

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart

Donahoe

That sounds like a real good combination to me. Just make sure you take the time to dial in the shocks... All thoughs companies do really good Ranger stuff...

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Jimmy8

When you go to add air bumps, their is a place that advertises in the back of Dusty Times called Yarnell Specialties. They make shocks for sand rails and stuff but they also make air bumps. My dad knows the owner and the air bumps are really awesome. We have them on the 8 truck and the pre runner and have never had a problem with them. We are putting them on the trophy truck as well. They run about $300 per pair, which I believe is cheaper than SAW, and the results are awesome. The guys name is Marvin I believe, but i dont have the number off hand, so check a Dusty Times. Just wanted to let you know all the options.

sirhk100

Thanks for the tip on the bumps. I'll check into those once it comes time. I can't do this suspension till after the holidays but it will happen for sure. Do those bumps fit in the standard size mounting cans?

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

Jimmy8

They are the same size as the SAW bumps and look a lot the same. They fit anywhere the SAW bumps would. I just got the number, its 1-928-427-3551, and it says that the price is $319.90 a pair. If you find a dusty times they have a small picture of one in the advertisement.

sirhk100

Thanks for the info. I'll take note of that and add it to my master list of parts for my front end.

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

singlehanded

I am curios I know you said you were on a budget, so why are you tigging your shock mounts? The kit sounds good.

local

sirhk100

Well, I'm on a budget but it's being dictated by how long I want to spend saving up my money. H&M wanted $700 for a mig welded mild steel upper and $900 for the tig welded chromoly. $200 is only another week or two of waiting so I figure it's worth it. Actually with that set up the only part I'm trying to figure out if it's worth is the Heimed radius arms. they want $400 for a bushing setup and $850 for the heimed radius arms. That would be about another months worth of savings and also mean that I'd have to worry about replacing worn out heims in the future on occasion. Are they worth it in your opinion? I'm not worried about the extra noise that would come with the heims, I'd just turn up the stereo.

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

singlehanded

Heims are nice I actually have uniballs on the i-beams and 1 1/4 heims on my radius arms. But I am not in a hurry to build my truck. I figure it might be 2 years before it done and I am learning to build it myself /collecting parts. I'll also spend the extra cash on extras so hopefully it will be reliable. It sounds like you may be better off putting the money toward hydrolic stops and fenders. Later down the road you may want to sell them and upgrade to some longer arms back to a fabbed transmission mount with big heims. What does your cage include-mine which is chromoly was $500 and was migged I really dont care to make my truck show quality, just work good in the dirt.Have some pictures but no scanner,bummer.

local

sirhk100

In your opinion do you think the heims are worth the extra money? What is the difference performance wise? You're saying to save the cash and put it somewhere else? I was quoted $850 for the Camburg radius arms through H&M. Today at the Expo I talked to Kreg Donahoe about his radius arms and thought they look better. They looked to be a little longer then the Camburg and they were set in more towards the center of the vehicle to allow more clearance for turning the wheels. He quoted me $750 and that included a transmission cross member. I'm not exactly the most intelligent when it comes to fab work but I was under the impression that Tig welds were stronger then Mig welds. Is this true or is the Tig welding truely just a cleaner look? I belive the upper mounts that H&M was quoting me in their price was just a generic upper hoop with a cross bar through the engine compartment like seen on most trucks. Nothing spectacular. Who did your fab work? You? Here's one more fear I'm having. I'm getting all these quotes from different fab shops and they are talking about using donahoe, camburg, or autofab production fabbed parts which is fine. Tha catch is that the say this even though I tell them it's being put on an Explorer. Is the Ranger beams and radius arms going to just bolt up and line up properly on my Explorer. Like if I went with Donahoe's radius arms/transmission cross member would they just bolt right up or am I going to run into a ton of hidden costs because the stuff might not be just a simple bolt on?
Khris

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

singlehanded

I think heims are worth the extra money if you can afford it. But it sounds like you may be able to spend it somewhere else that could use it more. It is good to have an idea what you want the finished product to be. You want everything to be able to withold a certain amount of punishment as a whole, no weak link. As for my front my stock spindles and disk brakes will need to be upgraded before I can hope to rip thru the dezert at the suspensions capacity. It good not to overbuild one part leaving other parts weak. I like kregs arms, had them on my last ranger. I would have 1 1/4 heims in place of the 7/8 for a little more strength, but you may not need it. Tig welds are the same strength as a mig weld, mig weld are easier to mess up on because it is a cold weld process and tig welds you see each bead being put down. But if you have it done at a reputable shop they will be equal in strength and some shops can make mig welds look almost as good as tig welds. The thing is tig takes about 6x as long as mig so your paying for labor. I had mine done at the baja shop an was very pleased with their work. I plan on doing the rest myself but need some parts before I will begin. I got the impression that you were having everything installed for you, if thats right the shop doing it for you is really the one responsible to make sure all the parts he is getting for you will work and if he runs into any problems it should be included with the original price. Buy everything from the shop thats installing it almost all shop in southern cali, can get parts from other shops at whatever the other guy quoted you, then It will be up to them to make everything work. When my front end was being put back together, the balljoints were all jacked and they filed them till they worked at no cost also sprayed all the stuff and did the little things that some shops may charge you for for free. Quoted prices should the final price that what they sayed they could do it for.

local

sirhk100

That's good to hear about shops sticking with the quoted price. I've never had anything fabricated for me before. I've always done the fab stuff myself on our CJ7 but wasn't too worried cause it's not punished as much as this will be. For that reason, yes I'm having a shop do all the work. So, all I have to do is walk in tell them I want these parts or the equivilent and they give me a price. Then if they run into problems getting everything mounted up etc... it's up to them to make it work? That's great to hear. I was thinking it would be like a engine rebuild with lots of hidden costs. You know, "well, we thought the Cylinder would just need a hone ran through but once we got it apart we realized it needs bored out. That's gonna run you another $500" As for the punishment I'm planning to do to it. I don't forsee going out pounding through 3' whoops all day long. I just want to blast around Ocotillo Wells and Glamis. I normally would be slowing down for the rough stuff but on the occasions that I don't I'd like it to be able to handle it without the front end coming off. I won't be one of those kids out launching my truck at the Sand Drags but the occasional hit flying down the road will happen. Hell, I gotta get at least one photo!!

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart