• Forum membership has its advantages....

What Do you wear when you play in the DIRT?????

John F2000

f2000-in-air-with-chanel.jpg

What do you wear when you play in the dirt???

Over the last 20 years, off-road vehicles have become exponentially faster. Not only with Trophy Trucks, Buggies, and Rock Crawlers, but every day pre-runners, Rangers with lift kits, and last but not least a show room Raptor which is as fast off-road as some of the late 70’s / early 80’s race cars. Obviously with modern day race cars, helmets driving suits, etc are the norm. But with the performance gains from every day pre-runners and show room stock trucks traveling as fast as an early class 8 truck, shouldn’t we be wearing helmets at least? They certainly did back in the day. But with plush cabs and soft rides its very easy to get lulled into fast speeds without recognizing the potential dangers which could be off-set with a nice comfortable open faced helmet.

I am starting this thread in the hopes that you will share experiences you have had pre-running or just playing in fast off road trucks/buggies, without helmets and protective gear. I know there are some tragic stories and some almost tragic stories. I hope you will share these stories and opinions as to when and when not you view it appropriate to wear a helmet, when say off-roading in a Raptor or a mildly built Ranger, let a lone in a half a million dollar luxury pre-runner. Or suggestions of equipment comfortable helmets which work in closed cabs, belts that are convenient to use in a street legal pre-runner etc.. I hope this thread, through stories and opinions shared will encourage or at least make others aware of just how fast they are going and what a little extra protection might do to help, just in case. With any luck, your stories and contributions might help save someone’s life or from major injury. Have fun with the thread, post pictures and keep it going.

I know Channel and I wear open-faced Stilo’s when playing in the dirt. What do you wear??

Chanel Ryan
Stilo USA
http://www.alpinestars.com/

photo courtesy of Off-Road Magazine and Dirtsport

J Burleson

Boobs and spam. Mmmm, delicious.

But seriously. A good topic. Should be, "all the gear, all the time".

green787

Without being fully harnessed, roll caged, and helmeted you risk everything.... I've seen a nice crew cab come apart on Shell Reef Hwy.... 5 people life flighted.... The doors the windshield and everything else that isn't bolted down becomes a serious hazard.... Regular seat belts are ineffective on the 3rd time over.... passengers ejected and then rolled over.... Go fully prepped, or don't go....

bobsson

Without being fully harnessed, roll caged, and helmeted you risk everything.... I've seen a nice crew cab come apart on Shell Reef Hwy.... 5 people life flighted.... The doors the windshield and everything else that isn't bolted down becomes a serious hazard.... Regular seat belts are ineffective on the 3rd time over.... passengers ejected and then rolled over.... Go fully prepped, or don't go....
This is the best answer, on the old caged Ranger I had with standard belts, I always required a helmet. Should have gone to 5 points and also had HNR as well though looking back at it.

If I'm just doing a slow cruise where I'm keeping it in first gear like going between camps, I won't require a helmet, but if I'm going to test something and run at speed helmets and HNRs are required.

JDDurfey

Dirt bike riders are considered nuts if they don't wear their gear. Yet car guys pre-run all the time in t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops. There is photographic, selfie proof of this at this years Baja 500.

I have limited time in a race car, mostly raced bikes. But when I was in a Class 1, whether it was pre-running, testing, or racing the owner wanted to wear his gear so I did the same. And in the end I felt much more comfortable doing so. I have a friend that broke down at the bottom of the hill headed toward El Alamo. A well known racer in a luxury pre-runner offered to pull his bug up the hill and to the highway. That pre-runner spit so many rocks, and I mean big rocks at that bug trying to pull him up that hill that if one had hit the driver in the head it would have killed him. A Jeep came along and towed him to the top with 4wd because the 2wd pre-runner couldn't. Then the pre-runner towed him to the highway from the top or the hill. My point being, you never know when you will need your gear or a freak accident will happen, and hindsight is always 20/20. Better safe than sorry later. Being stupid is expensive and can cost lives.

EOR1488

Wear everything. If a rollover and fire can happen in a race it can happen in testing, period. When you're training or sparring in my case I don't leave my mouthpiece and cup off just because it's practice. Wear saftey gear always

Dezertpilot

That's your girl? What a babe!

Klaus

Administrator
Ohhh some new sponsors signed up to this forum.

Bdub 1020

There is a big difference whether your pre running taking notes , marking GPS or thinking your a racers pre running like a jerk and hauling arse. Dress accordingly. In other words don't spill hot coffee in your crotch and say its not your fault

cr motorsportd

In my lifetime of racing and playing in cars and bikes ive noticed that most people get hurt playing. so why would you not wear protection? you are usually in unfamiliar with the place your driving so mistakes are made and a surprise around every corner. please wear your helmet and suit if possible.

hendersoned

In my lifetime of racing and playing in cars and bikes ive noticed that most people get hurt playing. so why would you not wear protection? you are usually in unfamiliar with the place your driving so mistakes are made and a surprise around every corner. please wear your helmet and suit if possible.
So true, very few injuries during a race, mostly spectators (no safety gear EVER) or the trip to and from the race, tuning, goofing off, "practicing " have way more injuries

07FJRog

It depends on what i am riding or driving.
Dirt bike- I look like a football player, lol,
Quad-helmet, goggles,gloves, work boots and long pants.
Truggy- gloves, eye wear (even though i have a dot windshield) and long pants.
Racing- full firesuit, gloves, helmet, leather boots.
So your question could have many answers as open as it was.

offroadracer516

If were just playing in the desert its Shorts a T-shirt. Gloves and I always wear my helmet. Anything more is over doing it in my opinion. We only own vw's and pilots though. Not nearly as fire prone. I think truck guys are smart to wear all the gear. Those things seem to catch fire all the time.

y2kbaja

If you're in a prerunner with a cage I feel you should be wearing a helmet. This is why I don't want to cage my prerunner (on the inside). When it's 100+ degrees in the desert my wife isn't going to wear a helmet.

The ranger isn't mine but has me thinking

Attachments

Sheaco

ChrisW

Thanks a lot John...You just cost me a couple grand. I have a high end pre runner w/ 3 seats and have been saying I should be using helmets instead of the oh so comfortable head sets for a long time. I just haven't gotten off the dime. I will now. Who knows, you just might have saved me or my passengers from some serious injury.