• Forum membership has its advantages....

What does a typical race prep cost you?

Honda48X

jon coleman

FINALLY called out!!!, jeeeeez, busted gut laffing when i first saw that( ps, But, i thought about it ,& i think those check book arrive & drives would probably pay it and not evan blink)

MTPyle

I can see a Mason being $75k for full prep but I doubt $150k. Steve said $30k in labor and there can’t be $120k in parts.

Mike

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
If you only run crankshaft's, rods, pistons, titanium valves, tool steel springs, titanium spring retainers, light rollers, injectors, Weldon pumps & regulators, starter, alternators (plural) all the 300M guts inside your trans, torque converter, driveshaft, complete rear gearset, case & spool, drive axels, all rotors, pads, calipers, shock pistons & shims, all spherical suspension bearings, heims, throttle & shifter cables, labor, shipping, freight I could see $150K real damned fast.

Your run of the mill motor refresh is 10k if you even attempt to do it correct.

Hell what does one of those carbon fiber body's cost if you DON'T own the mold?

Last edited:

dezert_nerd

Hell what does one of those carbon fiber body's cost if you DON'T own the mold?
15K is what I've heard, that's for a Herbst Smith Fab body. The Carbon fiber bodies do hold up better though.

El Mamito USMC

for an ATV the initial prep is like 8K, after that it can be from 2K to 4K for a big race. 800 to 1000 for a normal race..

ACME

Why go into battle with a half loaded gun? I maintained & prepped our ATV's for ARA & D-37 etc then did the same when I got into C-9 in La Rana & SNORE as well as MORE-SNORE when we got back into it (thanks for all those late night lessons Mr Lothringer!). When we went to BITD-SCORE it's just what did. IMO the smaller & more resrticted or bigger & faster the car, the more prep is needed. We know 9 & 16 guys that skipped a lot on prep and were successful, but also just as many that weren't.

Our mindset was; we were already spending $5K+ on entry-fuel-hotel-pits etc for a SCORE race so WTF. We wasted a lot of money but the wife was awesome and made me promise that the car would always be 100% prepped and everything done. Our opinion was why risk it and cut corners on the prep, knowing what you're spending, plus the value of everyone's time who are supporting you? It worked for us, but then we were just simple family-friends-fun racers (but we finished every SCORE and BITD race we did in good old big red)...

partybarge_pilot

I have prepped both C8 and TT, they were about the same to be competitive. Budget teams were 25-30K if the motor didn't need a freshen up. C8 motor was 25K, TT was about twice that.

Bottom line, it takes what you are willing to spend. How much is winning worth to you?

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
TT motors were bad class 8 almost as bad

Now I introduce you to protruck motors they were STUPID expensive using our interpretation of the rulebook

MTPyle

we are doing a full Prep for the 2020 season so we have some data points.

We just bought all new RPI bolts, Bearings, seals, heims, bushings, and uni balls for our truck. Basically all the wear parts and it was $5000 in parts. No way we need to replace all of that every race. Most of these parts will be fine for 2-3 races maybe more. We took out our bearings every race, inspected, and re packed themthey were fine. The bearings we had lasted all season.

I jusy don’t think you need to replace all these parts just for the fun it it. There has to be better ways to spend money. Haha.

I get that some feel better just replacing everything every race. But I am not that way. Inspect and replace what’s needed.

Mike

Zac Reish

If you have a pro shop do it. It’s cheaper when you consider labor cost for them to pull, toss in trash, and swap vs remove clean, inspect/mag, and then re install. When you’re a do it your selfer it makes more sense to inspect some times especially if you have that kind of time and your race budget doesn’t depend on you actually working and making money..

OFFRD-JNKIE

Not even close to that. They aren’t as much more to prep than a 2wd as you would think. Call it 20% more labor and add a diff/Tcase and portals service.
Thank you for the clarification that info was told to me by someone that spoke with an owner of one of your trucks.

Baja Native

michael.gonzalez

"Shops charge anywhere from $40–200/hour for “labor.” That is meant to include the hourly rate of the employee, but also captures the capital costs of the shop and a profit margin. "

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
The local Ford dealer here charges $130.00 an hour on Ford vehicles 12 years old or less & will not touch anything older than 13 years old PERIOD
The local Can Am dealer $90.00 on sleds & SXS same deal nothing older than 2010

I'd be curious what Steve ogles (sp) charges @ team ford in Las Vegas I'll bet it's $140.00 an hour

crafty

I’ll be around around $3,500 for this prep on my vintage 8 truck. Most of the cost is going to repair the rear end. Need new shafts and spool. I will also change motor oil and rear spring bushings