What does it take to codrive?

Slippery P

Reaction
What Sparky said is spot on, I co-drove for his driver back when he had the 8 truck. He can get a little hot under the collar sometimes and you have to be able to calm that instantly. A pissed off driver is a distracted driver! Be able to fix anything, take verbal and physical abuse well, and be two steps ahead of him at all times. We had no GPS then so Good memory was key, every, bump, hole, rock, etc. You must give the driver everything he needs!!!! Oh and when fixing the car hurry up every chance you get!

Sparky

Reaction
What Sparky said is spot on, I co-drove for his driver back when he had the 8 truck. He can get a little hot under the collar sometimes and you have to be able to calm that instantly. A pissed off driver is a distracted driver! Be able to fix anything, take verbal and physical abuse well, and be two steps ahead of him at all times. We had no GPS then so Good memory was key, every, bump, hole, rock, etc. You must give the driver everything he needs!!!! Oh and when fixing the car hurry up every chance you get!

LOL...do not EVER get him off course. How the hell you been? Going to ever make it back out to a race?

Slippery P

Reaction
Ha Ha... yeah and if he wants lap times you better get them NOW sometimes I would just shut his radio feed off to get him back focused on the course rather than whats coming over the radio, got to do what you got to do right. Ive been good just turning wrenches, yes I want to come help you guys out sometime soon!!

Last edited:

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
Reaction
Having a good personal relationship with the driver is a huge plus, riding with my cousins and Eric Tolbert has been a breeze, know how the driving likes information given to them, do they like chatter or just pure information only when they need to know it. As a co-driver i just like to stay as calm as possible. its in my nature (to a point) a calm voice talking to a pissed off driver works wonders. same for calling in on the radio. Knowing how to set up a GPS is a plus tooo. my first race i had the zoom really messed up... calling corners 3/4 of a mile before we got there haha
but, now Im getting the itch to get back out in something soon so if anyone needs an expirenced co-dog PM me.. Have all equipment including HNR.
I will say this, when BBM gets their CL1 car, I will hope B can ride with me. He is a great all around Co-Dawg!

wrightracing.net

Reaction
I just had to read this old thread when it popped up on my Tapatalk app notification. Ramsey was my mentor and taught me so much when it came to racing.
If it wasn't for Ramsey I wouldn't have gotten to drive or co-drive so many cool vehicles over the years.

Like others have said, find a team any team and volunteer to help in any way you can even if it's just cleaning the car or the shop, teams always need help.

One of the first things I got asked to do at races was to haul gas and spare tires in the back of my truck out to remote areas of the race course.

Being trustworthy, competent and reliable is the key.

RIP Ramsey El Wardani

harleys dad

Reaction
My boys race 1600 and Harley and Jeremy could not keep riders in the car finally taking the seat out and going single seat as they would pulverize anyone sitting next to them

Borracho Cantina

Reaction
I just had to read this old thread when it popped up on my Tapatalk app notification. Ramsey was my mentor and taught me so much when it came to racing.
If it wasn't for Ramsey I wouldn't have gotten to drive or co-drive so many cool vehicles over the years.

Like others have said, find a team any team and volunteer to help in any way you can even if it's just cleaning the car or the shop, teams always need help.

One of the first things I got asked to do at races was to haul gas and spare tires in the back of my truck out to remote areas of the race course.

Being trustworthy, competent and reliable is the key.

RIP Ramsey El Wardani

Awesome post! Cheers!

wrightracing.net

Reaction
And Yes, I cleaned the 1600 car with Ramsey and our other race trucks we raced over the years. The dirty work is the stuff people never see, but looks good for the sponsorship guys at contingency the day before the race when all the spectators are checking out all the race cars. You need to show off your sponsor's and make them look good. That is part of the job

Be there to help and not expect anything in return or with a sense of entitlement. Be greatful for the opportunity to get experience and have fun. You may never get seat time, but if you are a good trustworthy and reliable person, you will be appreciated and if you love Off Road Racing, that should be enough. If not, build your own race team.