What Front drive train used in PRO 4

KiwiMike

RDC Crypto
Hi Guys,
What is the front drive set up most commonly used in Pro 4?
Front Diff, C/Vs, Hubs, Transfer box, Transmission etc? Are they off the shelf or completely custom made?
Any Links on where to get these items from?
Thanks
Mike

KiwiMike

RDC Crypto
Thanks For that, The guys there helpful. Now I know the direction I need to go in to make 4wd work on my project.

Still would like to find out if they use a custom transfer box or one out of a 2500 etc. I have a contact for a custom unit for about 5K, but if there is a cheaper option avail that hooks up to a TH400 that would be good.

redmist

RDC Crypto
Mike, you need to have a look at Andrew Thomason's, Millenworks, desert style, Pro 4. It's running a Wiseman, which I understand to be common in pro 4's. Pro 4's are high dollar, high maintenace race car's. Nothing (other than parts of the engine) are derived from road vehicles. I think you would be better off copying something like a desert truck (classes 7,8, possibly TT), or possibly Raana Horan's truck in terms of drivetrain.

KiwiMike

RDC Crypto
True that, I am in France at the moment working, not due back to NZ for a few months. Just wanting to get an idea what is commonly run in the states for 4wd applications that require a lot of strength. Figured Pro 4 would be a good starting point. The C/V Joints at rcv defiantly hit the mark for strength, with 2500 hubs. And they are priced in range of the budget. (Never hurts to dig for info from as many sources as possible.)
By the way good luck for next weekend. 475 HP is still plenty.
Someone needs to pull in on Moriarty, best of luck to him as well though.

Do you know if Andrew is heading up to the NI for the finals?

Haycock

RDC Crypto
i know most of the king of the hammer type rigs that run A-arms in the front use a atlas II, 9" center, series 30 cv's, and modified 1 ton unit bearings. they run over 450 hp with 40" tires. hope this helps.

redmist

RDC Crypto
The CV"s aren't the issue. Either is the diff's to a certain extent. The transmission and transfer box are a huge worry. The Pro 4's will do a 170km sprint. However Andrew always states that he'd have to rebuild to Wiseman overnight at Taupo. Sounds like too much work for me.
My Jimco is well down on power. The left side blow off valve is free venting, totally open. It's limiting boost to 9psi and 487 whp. New BOV's, wastegates and .... custom trim turbos are now sitting here waiting to be plugged up..... 700whp should be a doddle and still maintain a good spread of torque.
However given even a slight bit of moisture in the soil and Raana\ Andrew will simply run away from me. You can't beat 4wd for getting power to the ground.
Unfortunately Andrew won't be at the National finals. Given the Manakau track he's about the only one who'll give Raana a run for his money.
In terms of this weekend. Thanks for the good luck. I'm hoping to have a play with Wayne, however given the rain that's currently invading Christchurch he'll absolutely toast me! I'm still getting a feel for my car, not running it hard yet, and it's a hell of a lot of weight to throw around in the wet.

KiwiMike

RDC Crypto
Thanks Haycock, I have been reading some other forums and they mention Atlas as well. along with a few other brands. Atlas seams to be the favorite though. I don't really need the reduction just a solid 1 to 1 constant drive for a full time 4wd application. But a 2 : 1 reduction could make it useful at short course / tight events.

Having to rebuild a Wiseman transfer box after only 500 km / 300 Mile seams a bit excessive to me, would have to write that one off.

I am not building a new truck just looking at changing an existing one in the future to 4wd. It is similar to a class 7200 / 1400.

shifter

RDC Crypto
Hi Guys,
What is the front drive set up most commonly used in Pro 4?
Front Diff, C/Vs, Hubs, Transfer box, Transmission etc? Are they off the shelf or completely custom made?
Any Links on where to get these items from?
Thanks
Mike

Mike,

Dana 60 or 9 inch is currently used in pro 4. 934.5 cv's and rezeppa's.

Rick Husemann is running our 5-speed transmission with our transfer box and front diff. Several of the other Pro 4 teams are running our transfercases, front diffs and W underdrive in pro 2. These are all billet housings and custom offset, gear ratio for what the customer needs. It is very hard to make a bespoke unit and call it good. There is always room for improvement.

The ability of our teams to be able to service our equipment is our trademark. I would love to see someone fix a turbo 400 in truck, hot, and with minimal tools.

Andrew has been running that tramission and transfecase for several years now. Here is a quote from him in 2007.

August 07, 2007

"Just wanted to send you a quick email to let you know we had an absolutely fantastic weekend at the National Off-road Championship Final last weekend, winning the NZ1 title. Weather conditions on the Saturday were atrocious but we had perfect results winning all the short-course races and then winning the 160km enduro on Sunday outright. Truck ran faultlessly and the opportunity to run it on some really good flowing gravel roads was great fun. You can check out pics etc on www.oranz.co.nz. It was the first time ever that a truck has won the title and we did it in style, winning every race of every round taking the maximum possible points.

It certainly would not have been possible without all of your help, thanks so much. I will send more pics and links to other features/articles soon.

Keep in touch and thanks again for your help." - Andrew

You can get more info from our website www.weismann.net

pat W

KiwiMike

RDC Crypto
Thanks for this Pat, I never saw your website when using Google. You have answered the original Question.
The reason behind using a TH400 is quite simple, readily available, and when built right hold up reasonable well.
Andrews Truck has an excellent reputation, for good reason.
The front diff and C/v set up is pretty much a common one used through out. Direction to take for this is solved.

shifter

RDC Crypto
Thanks for this Pat, I never saw your website when using Google. You have answered the original Question.
The reason behind using a TH400 is quite simple, readily available, and when built right hold up reasonable well.
Andrews Truck has an excellent reputation, for good reason.
The front diff and C/v set up is pretty much a common one used through out. Direction to take for this is solved.

The TH400 is a typical trans for pro 4 with our gear drive transfercase. We do not run straight though for the rear axle, unless it is asked for, most t cases do requiring a weak ring and pinion.

Now for something new. On our latest front diff/rear diff unit (WDD) we are running DOJ type joints (straight groove). The joints are 4 inches center to center apart. The other diff pictured (WLR)is what we run with the military type vehicles with either DOj , tri pod or CV joints back to back with our locking differential.

pat W

Attachments

• shop 500.jpg
    shop 500.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 961
  • shop 501.jpg
    shop 501.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 828
  • shop 502.jpg
    shop 502.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 793
  • shop 092.jpg
    shop 092.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 806

KiwiMike

RDC Crypto
Yep, You have the products. I did not see the diffs on the web site.
Is the WDD a quick change as well? So what is the HP & Tq ratings on these diffs?
I like the WLR diff. I think this would suit what I am looking at better.
The transfer case would be nice if it was straight through, Can you post some pics of the T Case?
How about rough cost for The diffs and T Case.
Thanks

Sid_Racer

RDC Crypto
I would like to see a pic of the T-case too please.

shifter

RDC Crypto
Here are some of different trucks that we have done.

pat W

Attachments

• P5200021.JPG
    P5200021.JPG
    691.9 KB · Views: 1,855
  • P5200010.JPG
    P5200010.JPG
    728 KB · Views: 810
  • P5200027.JPG
    P5200027.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,070
  • PA010005.JPG
    PA010005.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 834

shifter

RDC Crypto
Here are some more withh some of the vehicles.

pat W

Attachments

• 4wd.bmp
    776.3 KB · Views: 430
  • LASSO wall climb.jpg
    LASSO wall climb.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 762
  • P5200009.JPG
    P5200009.JPG
    745.3 KB · Views: 826
  • Daytona test 002.jpg
    Daytona test 002.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 882
  • P4080009.jpg
    P4080009.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 876
  • P5200007.JPG
    P5200007.JPG
    655.9 KB · Views: 837
  • P2280003.JPG
    P2280003.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 828

KiwiMike

RDC Crypto
Thanks for posting these photos, Makes me think in a different light as far as a drive line set up goes.

shifter

RDC Crypto
Renezeder is the bumper shot one and Wanzek is the green one that is an A arm TT. The white one is a military vehicle I put in another pic to show what it looks like sometimes. The tan one was done by Mike Laibe (Light Racing).

pat W

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 663
  • 4wd.bmp
    776.3 KB · Views: 334

Tech Tim

RDC Crypto
Digging up an old thread to ask a few Qs if Pat is willing to answer.... and thanks in advance if Pat does.

Several of the other Pro 4 teams are running our transfercases, front diffs and W underdrive in pro 2. These are all billet housings and custom offset, gear ratio for what the customer needs.

Do you have any pictures of your front diff?

We do not run straight though for the rear axle, unless it is asked for, most t cases do requiring a weak ring and pinion.

Please expand on the above comment. How does a straight through t-case require a weak ring and pinion?