• Forum membership has its advantages....

What GPS to buy?

speedfun

I am going to start racing in the desert next year in this Marage single seat Class 1-1500 car what is the best GPS unit to buy?

I am replacing the Toyota V6 with a Chevy LS3 it should be a good car with all the upgrades I am doing - Time will tell..

Parkhouse Meloncon 296504.jpg
Parkhouse329.jpg
Parkhouse740.jpg
Parkhouse Meloncon 296504.jpg
Parkhouse329.jpg
Parkhouse740.jpg

I Have the same question. Just a recreational off roader mostly glamis and ocotillo wells. Whats a decent GPS to get? been looking at a used lowrance baja 540c. How do they stack up against newer generation units? Ease of use is important.

Dirty Harry

After using a Lowrance for years I bought an iPad and leadnav prior to the 1000. We just used it in the chase truck with the goal to get familiar with it prior to using it at King of the Hammers. I found it to be easy to use and the satellite imagery was great for finding access to the course. Another nice feature for your single seater is that you can set up voice commands in LeadNav; it will basically call out turns for you if you input that information ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

AZ7000'

Lowrance is clunky with set up, editing, and loading, FLAWLESS while racing. Leadnav is the new kid on the block, some things good, some things not so good but they are working on it all the time and open to feedback.

lowrance is simple and easy to use. can get complicated at times when you want to play with the settings. get a new gen as it holds more memory and has internal/external antenna use. leadnav is amazing on a whole new level, but is complicated to learn, but once mastered, it is simple and easy, just has a yearly subscription that you can choose from for more options. magallen is cool for the jeepers...

PaulW

After using Lowrance for many years I have found the new units like HDS are unacceptable. Especially the Gen3
I am transitioning to tablet based GPS. The best Lowrance I ever had was a 6200c and nobody will part with theirs. Tablets - bigger screen for the money and many choices of SW. And stay with Andriod for the most choices.
InReach if you need to send messages to others with Inreach or anybody with a computer link or a phone for text in the states. Very highly rated and expensive. You will need a tablet to view the map. Works on IOS.
For Baja specific look at ORUX. Android only
Give Maps.me a look nothing to else just try and see what you think. Works on both platforms.
If you demand a traditional GPS find a used Garmin marine unit. They work like Lowrance with buttons and no touch.
Yup, Touch screen on a tablet is darn tough to learn and use. It is a big drawback but you get for a better unit.

Our rescue team is starting to use Lead Nav. I also know a few racers and retrieval teams that have a windows based pad and use Gaia and motion x. Some use Karta and Hema but I am not familiar with those.

Dirty Harry

lowrance is simple and easy to use. can get complicated at times when you want to play with the settings. get a new gen as it holds more memory and has internal/external antenna use. leadnav is amazing on a whole new level, but is complicated to learn, but once mastered, it is simple and easy...
My experience is the opposite. When I am prerunning with a Lowrance all I can really input is cautions with one icon. And we have issues combining files from prerunning, card can’t be too big, etc. LeadNav by contrast makes it easier to input different icons at speed when prerunning. Plus I can add as many range rings as I want.

Zambo

Hands down the biggest problem with tablets and phones is that the screen isn't bright enough. App developers don't help themselves much either by choosing color themes without enough contrast. Nor do they set up the controls in such a way as to make it easy to operate the app while bouncing around in a car. But they do have their place, for instance as Bryan just said using the voice prompt feature of LeadNav is very valuable.

Has anybody used the new Hook version of the Lowrance in a car? Seems like a basic version of the Elite series with a pretty low price point...you can find a Hook 7 for about 300 bucks and it seems to have the same chartplotting software that the Elite series had.

tapeworm

Hands down the biggest problem with tablets and phones is that the screen isn't bright enough. App developers don't help themselves much either by choosing color themes without enough contrast. Nor do they set up the controls in such a way as to make it easy to operate the app while bouncing around in a car. But they do have their place, for instance as Bryan just said using the voice prompt feature of LeadNav is very valuable.

Has anybody used the new Hook version of the Lowrance in a car? Seems like a basic version of the Elite series with a pretty low price point...you can find a Hook 7 for about 300 bucks and it seems to have the same chartplotting software that the Elite series had.
The car i rode in had the Hook version Lowrance. It worked fairly well. We didn't have any issues with it until we went through frog canyon. Then it occasionally froze and had to be reset. The only issue with the Hook version is that you cannot add an external antenna so it has to have a view of the sky. Other than that it is a great affordable option to run.

Zambo

Thanks tapeworm. Did the unit freeze up before you reset it, or did it just lose its position?

When I use Gaia maps I will use the topography setting and that resolution is not too bad. I like that setting also because in Gaia which is used by a lot of Trail riders or recreational off roaders they have marked ditches and other access that Leadnav would not have. I do agree with it being difficult to see due to contrast> I am in a rescue truck I can only imagine in a race truck at 100mph.