What GPS Units Are You Running In Your Car?

Boston Mangler

Reaction
Website
www.bajaoverland.com
I need to get GPS for my prerunner and 12 car. Do I get one unit and share or two units with some way to transfer info?

Depends on the actual unit. Some units have fixed mounting "Cradles" that are permanately mounted in the car and the unit is detachable, very similar to a detachable faceplate stereo setup.

If your unit (or unit you are shopping for) has this feature, then you can install just a "cradle" in each car and swap the unit from car to car very easily.

I would imagine a spare cradle cant be more then $150-200 or so, would save a bunch of $ as opposed to 2 units

Make sense?

I sent ya a PM

Thats my .02

EOR1488

Reaction
O for sure I would just transfer them. Set both cars up with the power cord and anttena and then just transfer the unit back and forth. I would fab your own mounts to they seem to last longer!

Dave@3F

Reaction
I would also have to go with the Lowrance units for off-road. I have worked test and development for GPS units for military use and Garmin is undoubtably the most user friendly. I even contacted them about getting more involved in the off-road racing community for the sake of friendly competition to Lowrance and in the end a better product for all of us. Garmin has replied back with no interest, (their loss).
All of this said Lowrance is a great GPS, but a few things could get better. It has a poor user friendly software setup, in my opinion. I have been giving guys line by line instruction over the phone several times so they were able to get the right info up and loaded before a race. That is only the GPS unit, the computer map building software is worse.
As far as how many? I have dual power/antenna setups and tranfer the GPS between the prerunners and the race car. If you can afford to complete units I would run them seperate and then transfer the info with the data cards. I also run a Gramin 276C in the prerunner (we transfer and use Garmin for all chase trucks) and use that info to make my own race maps on Garmin mapsource.
I know that it has been suggested to make an area on RDC so that we can upload our GPS data to share. I am more than happy to post my pre-run data in Lowarance or Garmin and any mapsource maps that I build. I have in the past loaded them to my website for teams to use (keep in mind we run BITD).
On a last note based on my use of many different GPS's, go with a COLOR SCREEN. It is more than just nicer to look at, we have found that there is a substantial aquisition difference between B/W and color. I wont speak for you but for me I need all the time I can get looking out of the car and the less time I have to be trying to look at or figure out info from the GPS the BETTER!

johndjmix

Reaction
I say stick with the lowrance. The thing about them is they are built tough. All the years in my truck I’ve never had one fail. Thy can get covered in mud and silt, withstand super high temps and abuse, and they keep working.

—john

PaulW

Reaction
I have both the Garmin and Lowrance and no doubt Lowrance is best. The main issue with Lowrance if unavailable background maps for the newer HDS versions.
Now days many are switching to tablets with OK maps.

HartLessPerf

Reaction
We run a Lowrance Elite Ti2 5" in our U4 car as a dedicated GPS. While we do use Leadnav on iPads as our primary navigation instrument, the Lowrance is a fantastic backup that handles everything you throw at it. I even made a mistake welding where I fried our radio, but the GPS was fine (Same power distribution; I didn't double check and power leads hit the frame before I started burning).

Tom_Willis

Reaction
I'm getting ready to install the newest Lowrance gps on the dash. This was the dash temperature at noon today in Hesperia (@ 3500 elevation). Does anyone know if they publish data re: maximum operating temps for their gps units? Or their external antennas? Has anyone tested maximum heat levels on them?

Attachments

• 20210719_123435.jpg
    20210719_123435.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I'm getting ready to install the newest Lowrance gps on the dash. This was the dash temperature at noon today in Hesperia (@ 3500 elevation). Does anyone know if they publish data re: maximum operating temps for their gps units? Or their external antennas? Has anyone tested maximum heat levels on them
We've put lowrances into builds that live in the Arizona heat. Never seen an issue because of heat.

These basically are fish finders and are pretty good at being durable in extreme conditions.

Tom_Willis

Reaction
This is from the instructions, but it seems like real-world temps are a Lot higher. And they seem to avoid posting a maximum antenna temp.

Attachments

• 20210719_170949.jpg
    20210719_170949.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

mebuildit

Reaction
While riding the other day up here in Sedona, I did get a "high temp notification" on my screen. I have an HDS7 and have never seen that before. I do run a windshield but the temps were not that hot as if I were at my home by Tonto national forest north Scottsdale area. Not sure if it was due to slower speeds not circulating air or why that notification came on.

Tom_Willis

Reaction
I guess there's a huge "safety factor " between the maximum rating and the actual heat they can withstand.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
It doesn't matter how long ago it was, it still happens to this day.
People like you irritate the F out of me and can't look at the big picture.
Sorry, I never would have never even seen this thread if it weren't for the 'Whats new' update, and this isnt new.