What happened to Acer at the MINT 400?

LRS1972

Reaction
Why does anyone care what he does with his marketing? Why be negative?

Dude does good stuff and is a fairly solid driver...depending on which of them is driving.

I support his game and hope it has a positive impact on the kids, Baja and our sport.

The negative people can go do some good stuff and stop being donkeys.

Hadn't heard that before.

Dirty Harry

Reaction
Why not though right? R. Acer is more of a symbol than a person. What is to stop, say, Roger from driving in BITD events and Voss from racing in Baja (note that I TOTALLY made those up and zero evidence that either have driven as Acer, I am just making a point).

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Ilovebaja

Reaction
Am I the only one sick of the masked helmet gig ? I mean it was a cool idea at 1st but I think it's played itself out . He should still continue with all the charity stuff he does but give up on the helmet deal .
Not me!! So hate me!☻

vegasloki

Reaction
Pat said it best. Do you think the kids who light up with big smiles when they see him, or pretend to be him think it's a "schtick"?! Stop being jaded adults! Or better yet, please let us in on all the great things you do in the world! Yes, you can do great things without a super hero costume, but you're thick as a brick if you have yet to see the message in his "schtick". He LITERALLY spells it in his videos.

A schtick is defined as a kind of performance or character that is usually attributed to a single person. In this case it's the anonymous off road racing guy that always wears a helmet. It's one thing when you're playing the part for the kids or as some sort of media appearance. It's another when in situations that have nothing to do with the kids in Baja where it gets long in the tooth.

Ilovebaja

Reaction
How does the Acer persona affect anyone! What is the impact he has directly on you? Let him be maybe we have not seen the great picture yet. Who?what?why? He does or they do what they do in that fashion is their business should not matter let him be. ....so his get up is getting old you feel then deal with by accepting it and let it go! Maybe the problem is not knowing who he truly is...yes I myself am curious but I am not going to let it chew me up by getting pissed at the persona.. let him be.... so hate me too!

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
Why does anyone care what he does with his marketing? Why be negative?

Dude does good stuff and is a fairly solid driver...depending on which of them is driving.

I support his game and hope it has a positive impact on the kids, Baja and our sport.

The negative people can go do some good stuff and stop being donkeys.

I apologize. You are 100% right, I shouldn't be so negative.

The guy does great things for kids, but I still don't understand the super hero thing. As a father, I would much rather point to a picture of Heidi Steele or Corry Weller and explain to my daughter that with hard work you can have a successful career that will afford you the opportunity to pursue your dreams on the weekends. I can then explain how part of being successful is giving back to the community in a manner in which you and Heidi do. That's a real role model to look up to, not a character. My kid doesn't know Robert Acer from John Doe walking around in a helemt.

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
I apologize. You are 100% right, I shouldn't be so negative.

The guy does great things for kids, but I still don't understand the super hero thing. As a father, I would much rather point to a picture of Heidi Steele or Corry Weller and explain to my daughter that with hard work you can have a successful career that will afford you the opportunity to pursue your dreams on the weekends. I can then explain how part of being successful is giving back to the community in a manner in which you and Heidi do. That's a real role model to look up to, not a character. My kid doesn't know Robert Acer from John Doe walking around in a helemt.

What's wrong with having both kinds of role models? Why does it bother you so much?

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Hating on Acer is lame.

What he's doing is intended to inspire kids to become whoever or whatever they want to be. His anonymity aligns with what many comic book characters do also. Mask, helmet, whatever.

And the Six million dollar man, just sayin.

Ilovebaja

Reaction
Am I the only one sick of the masked helmet gig ? I mean it was a cool idea at 1st but I think it's played itself out . He should still continue with all the charity stuff he does but give up on the helmet deal .
and where is your inner child my friend!;)

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
The silly mask gimmick isn't for you or I. How people don't get that is beyond me.

Stop making sense....

There are 200 people that want him to take the mask off to be more "accountable" or "professional"... There are millions that idolize it in Baja, and who know how many more across the globe.

Leave it on, its just getting more people to talk about him ;)

Now.... Lets see an open face with a bandanna and some smoked Earnhardt goggles for Norra!

Baja Bryan

Reaction
As a kid I wanted to be Racer X. I can imagine there are thousands of kids looking up to him and will someday be the next TT champ.. Kudos for what he has done for poor kids in mexico.

JayQC

Reaction
If the kids love him, he could race in a clown van and fling balloon animals at the wash crowds from a roof mounted canon for all I care. Let the kids have a mysterious racing hero.

If what I read about this guy is true, he's busy as puck for all the right reasons. If he's not a total deebag to other racers and is a respectful individual in general, I don't see the problem.

Last edited:

green787

Reaction
What should we do if he faints from the heat???

Ilovebaja

Reaction
Just because there is a race in town does not mean many kids know about the races much less even been to one or know who all the top racer are to be hero's.
So upon reading the definition of superhero it says this:1. fictional character who has amazing powers.
2nd, exceptionally skillful or successful person.

All the "famously known racers" that kids know of do some kind of marketing. As someone previously said in the post his videos say it all. After all he reminds me of one of my favorite cartoon characters SPEED Racer !
There is a Hero for everyone !!
Robert Acer more power to you ! Don't let haters keep you from doing what you do!! ;):D:)

Mark Newhan

Reaction
I remember Walter Prince, anybody else?

I don't remember anyone bagging on him when he drove his Candy Cane, Raceco, down the peninsula throwing candy canes out to children at every Baja 1000 in the 1980's.

JayQC

Reaction
Actually Green787 raises a valid point.

One of the ways his fun gimmick might end is if he has a serious crash and requires emergency attention. Let's hope that's not how it turns out.