What happened to Acer at the MINT 400?

vegasloki

Reaction
If Acer showing up at the races is all about the kids, why wasn't there any engagement at the Mint with children centered programs? Make a Wish, Boys and Girls Clubs of LV, Shriners or the like. The Mint was the largest media platform in all of off road in the US, including the Baja 1000. It would be a great place to support your cause, to shine light on the kids down in Baja or kids in poverty everywhere. Instead at the Mint Acer in character is hob nobbing with the adults and not doing media to drive the charity. That's certainly his (their) prerogative but let's not wrap the "it's all about the kids" in everything the character does because it's clearly not in many cases.

It's great he (they) do what is done in Baja. I applaud that. But donning the costume when it's got nothing to do with the kids to me is tired. It's not a hate thing, I see it at that point the persona being about him (them) rather than whatever superhero focus of the charity.

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
You'll a bunch of H. Aters :rolleyes:

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Saw him parked at mile 3 approx....bummer he needs a Dougans but I'd like him not to go there since everyone is there now it seems...or coming
He needs a Duramax Diesel in it!!!

Ilovebaja

Reaction
My inner child died with the Saturday morning cartoons
see that's the problem you have lost your inner child!! we all have one just let it out be happy and you will start to look younger! but wait you do play with rc cars o_O:rolleyes::D:D;) hugs my friend.

J Prich

Reaction
I remember Walter Prince, anybody else?

I don't remember anyone bagging on him when he drove his Candy Cane, Raceco, down the peninsula throwing candy canes out to children at every Baja 1000 in the 1980's.
Mark,
There was no internet back then, so nowhere to complain and criticize, LOL.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
If Acer showing up at the races is all about the kids, why wasn't there any engagement at the Mint with children centered programs? Make a Wish, Boys and Girls Clubs of LV, Shriners or the like. The Mint was the largest media platform in all of off road in the US, including the Baja 1000. It would be a great place to support your cause, to shine light on the kids down in Baja or kids in poverty everywhere. Instead at the Mint Acer in character is hob nobbing with the adults and not doing media to drive the charity. That's certainly his (their) prerogative but let's not wrap the "it's all about the kids" in everything the character does because it's clearly not in many cases.

It's great he (they) do what is done in Baja. I applaud that. But donning the costume when it's got nothing to do with the kids to me is tired. It's not a hate thing, I see it at that point the persona being about him (them) rather than whatever superhero focus of the charity.
His charity project is huge.

Robert Acer is more than a man in black that never reveals his identity and drives both trophy trucks and a Ferrari in GT3 racing. It is Marvel comics tied in with education blended with the D.A.R.E. program, and assisted by UNICEF to identify areas in need. The Robert Acer program is global. It focuses on third and second world countries and targeting schools to give children a chance they may have never had. To date, there are over 22,000 children in the program worldwide. Robert Acer is moving mountains within education. It doesn’t matter if you like the helmet or not, he’s giving children a chance to learn beyond what their parents had, because as Acer put it, ”You never know who your President could be. It could be one of these kids.”

HOW IT WORKS
Combining a trophy truck and Ferrari driver along with a Marvel comic super hero is no small feat. Add in the Robert Acer program that adopts schools in need, and it takes a small army of staff and volunteers to make the program work. The program identifies and adopts schools that do not have a lot of funding. After talking with principals and teachers, Acer’s team identifies what would be the best fit for the kids to make a change, and give those less fortunate a chance. Each of the schools has direct access to one-another through the Internet, and are able to take lessons from around the world and apply them firsthand. Schools range from K-12, and in 2015 a college program was also introduced in Italy.

“The kids and their teachers do a great job at working together online between the different schools,” explained Acer. “There are teachers that are team leads from each school that make this program work. They share learning’s between the teachers. Its also a great tool for the kids to learn first hand about other geographic areas globally.”

The first school in the program is in Lecce, Italy. Later, multiple schools opened in Baja, the USA, England and other European countries, even some of the war-torn areas in Asia. Future plans target China and Japan, as the program is well received given their cultural love for animé and comics.

more here- Robert Acer is helping find heroes in everyone.

regarding the helmet- “I wear a helmet with a reflective visor for a reason. Its so that the kids can see their reflection and I can tell them that someday they could be me, they could be the ones making a difference and changing lives, being a hero to someone,” Acer

Ilovebaja

Reaction
let me say that IMO and reading Dan200 post I could care less if he was disfigured! Looks are not everything and he sounds like an amazing guy with a super kind heart wanting to put kids on the right path! That is an amazing accomplishment . I would have loved direction, a roll model when I was in school. Do we know what really goes on in these schools to encourage all these kids! all the effort ! NO we don't! maybe he himself was underprivileged. But I will say this much : I would kiss a man who is disfigured with a heart like his over all of you ogres who might be good looking and complain about a person like him ! :cool::D
so hate me!!

Last edited:

green787

Reaction
Actually Green787 raises a valid point.

One of the ways his fun gimmick might end is if he has a serious crash and requires emergency attention. Let's hope that's not how it turns out.

It would be my personal hell to have to wear my helmet on a hot day walking around.... I have mine plumbed through an ice chest and a parker pumper radiator to cool MY head....
So, I say more power to him....

JDDurfey

Reaction
I have a 5 year old son. His two favorite characters are Batman and Darth Vader. He likes Spiderman too, but Batman is way cooler in his opinion. Since he has no siblings his age, we often "play" Star Wars and Super heroes. He never wants to be someone like Luke Skywalker and he knows that Vader ends up dead in the end. He always wants to be a man behind a mask. Why that is I don't know. But I think I need to introduce him to R. Acer and see what he thinks about him.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Has anyone considered he/they might be horribly disfigured under that helmet?

You should have been at the Mint
Qualifying drivers meeting a couple years back

Casey stopped part way through. Asked the guy if he could actually hear what was being said. Then told him he must have to be one ugly son of a b&@:/ to have to wear that helmet all the time.

I thought dan McMillin (or was it Luke) was gonna fall over laughing so hard.

Hey it makes no difference what someone's gimmick or persona is. He is doing good things for our image in areas of the world and helping people along the way. We should all be so inspired.

David Nehrbass

Motorsports Safety Solutions

Ilovebaja

Reaction

He was racing with UNICEF for the children! Doesn't get any bigger than that!! ;)

J Prich

Reaction
Is English his native language? Never interacted with him personally, just watched him at the Mint drivers meeting and tried to guess whether he was awake or napping. I was looking over some of his social media out of curiosity and the syntax and sentence structure seemed more akin with what a non native speaker would use.