What happened to DirtSports??

sb4pro

RDC Crypto
This gonna affect my subscription ? Just got this months issue yesterday
image.jpg

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
RDC Crypto
I'll try and keep this short and simple because I have a great deal of respect for those who started Dirtsports and I consider a few of them close friends and mentors.

Unfortunately what made Dirtsports so great is no longer associated with DS. At a time when our industry had very little media outlets, DS gave the grassroots guys and the big name guys a place to get their voice heard. Always accessible at races/events and always open to hearing what you had to say.

.... Now .... Not so much. It was great while it lasted.

mike mcqueen

RDC Crypto
Website
www.mpdfiberglass.com
I'll try and keep this short and simple because I have a great deal of respect for those who started Dirtsports and I consider a few of them close friends and mentors.

Unfortunately what made Dirtsports so great is no longer associated with DS. At a time when our industry had very little media outlets, DS gave the grassroots guys and the big name guys a place to get their voice heard. Always accessible at races/events and always open to hearing what you had to say.

Agreed

Roice

RDC Crypto
Website
www.tcbperformance.com

Thank you Adam, that's the polite version of what I was thinking.

www.tcbperformance.com
Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

ATRacing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.atoff-road.com
Gunslinger,
how very right you are. The guys who started DirtSport really understood and portrayed the sport in a great light, in all section. It was original, had great editorials written by people who raced off road, and lots of person editorials of trips, pre-runs and races. Tommy Morris with a technical series, race updates, great pictures, and stories about the people what I believe that the Off Road community want to read about., It is a shame to see it shape into the same magazine that Off Road is, FourWheeler... etc.... Bring back the people in the know and a great magazine!

BANNED4LIFE

RDC Crypto
print media OVER....wake the fudge up.........sorry to enlighten you............dont hate...

Chris Tobin

RDC Crypto
print media OVER....wake the fudge up.........sorry to enlighten you............dont hate...
Not all of it Pete... Some print magazines are still growing and expanding! There are still a lot of people that like to hold a paper copy of the magazine rather than read it on a tablet or computer!

I contributed to DS for a long time and really enjoyed working with them and covering events from here in Tennessee as well as the TDR race in TX and other work I did for them. DS started to contract with the economy and never fully recovered.

Over the past 6 or so years I have been contributing to Diesel World magazine on a regular basis and it has grown by probably 40-60 pages per issue over that time period. The page count has been increased several times and we are still growing and have recently even added a sister magazine Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide so we are doing 18-issues a year with more pages than ever. Print is not dead yet!!!

BANNED4LIFE

RDC Crypto
Not all of it Pete... Some print magazines are still growing and expanding! There are still a lot of people that like to hold a paper copy of the magazine rather than read it on a tablet or computer!

I contributed to DS for a long time and really enjoyed working with them and covering events from here in Tennessee as well as the TDR race in TX and other work I did for them. DS started to contract with the economy and never fully recovered.

Over the past 6 or so years I have been contributing to Diesel World magazine on a regular basis and it has grown by probably 40-60 pages per issue over that time period. The page count has been increased several times and we are still growing and have recently even added a sister magazine Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide so we are doing 18-issues a year with more pages than ever. Print is not dead yet!!!
Sorry....your LOST....do you think the yellow pages is still viable as well??? yes, it used to be huge....and I mean HUGE....no NOTHING

OffroadExit

Pistol Pete's Personal Pot Stirrer
RDC Crypto
Website
www.inlandwestdigital.com
Here is a little insight on what has been going on in the media world related to Dirtsports- Jim Ryan started the magazine when he worked at Advanstar communications. After a time, Advanstar no longer had interest in the magazine. Jim took it private under his Ryan Communications Group. Times were tough and the economy was in a downfall. The magazine was supported strictly off advertising. Subscriptions were a very small piece of the puzzle. The magazine no longer had the dedicated subscriber support team of Advanstar. Somehow Jim still managed to put out the magazine monthly. Facing budget issues Jim made a decision to sell it to powerhouse Source Interlink as a part of the Grind Media property, an edgier action sports brand within the community. Keep in mind Source Managed 80+ enthusiast titles. Overall in print media, ad revenues and the vertical as a whole have struggled in the last few years. Look at all the issues in the newspaper business. Source Interlink has been through several regime changes. The company began restructuring and facing bankruptcy. The focus began to shift to digital, which Source was behind the 8-ball. DirtSports was moved into the Four Wheeler truck group and out of the Grind Media property. A whole new set of management team to answer to. As bankruptcy loomed and a new CEO was named, the first wave of what would be 200+ layoffs in the company began. Several Magazine titles were completely shut down. Divisions began closing. Others including Jim Ryans job titles shifted to other focuses in the company. Dirt Sports merged with 30 year old publication Off Road. Employees that had dedicated 20 and 30 years to the company and the business were suddenly out of a job. In May of 2014 a second restructuring began. The Source Interlink Distribution Division which put magazines on the shelves of thousands of stores completely closed. The company had lost a huge contract with TIME INC. A company that had 3,000 + employees went down to 500 almost overnight. You can only imagine what the morale was like. The new CEO pressed on. He announced a rebranding of Source Interlink Media to TEN: The Enthusiast Network. Jim Ryan would no longer be associated with DirtSports as a brand or the company. Today the focus is digital and how the company can make money in a new era. It will still print magazines, but the business is not the same as it was 10 and 20 years ago. Ad revenues are not coming back to what they used to be. With limited budgets, things suffer on the content side. Dirt Sports + Off Road is still put out on a monthly basis. I can't speak to subscription issues because I am not involved with that side of the business. My job is contribute content to the magazine and our digital properties specifically Truck Trend Network and Four Wheeler Network which Dirt Sports + Off Road is a part of. I welcome your story ideas and what you would like to see in the magazine. The struggle is to keep the great Dirt Sports content coming and keep those readers and advertiser happy also while balancing Off Road content those readers and advertisers happy. 2 different demographics. Today content is released on the Four Wheeler Network Supersite before it hits the print magazine. While Pete understands what is going on, print is not going away. Companies like TEN just need to figure out how to keep up with the trends. It is my understanding we have more digital subscriptions (IPAD, Tablet) than physical magazine copy subscriptions.

Chris Tobin

RDC Crypto
Sorry....your LOST....do you think the yellow pages is still viable as well??? yes, it used to be huge....and I mean HUGE....no NOTHING
Nope, not LOST, I just happen to be working in a niche of print magazines that is still thriving and GROWING consistently. I hate that other magazines are suffering, but not ALL print is dead!

It was weird to me when (a couple years ago) Source offered digital subs at a higher price than the physical paper subs... In my opinion, the digital needs to follow and work with the print not the other way around. One of the problems with the digital model is that in general it pays its writers and photographers very little so the quality writers and photogs are less inclined to work in the digital only environment.

At Diesel World we had a publisher and editor for a few months that came strictly from the digital side of things and they did not have a good grasp of the print world and the magazine suffered during their tenure... One of the big problems is that they were trying to impose irrational deadlines (assignments given AFTER the due dates) and a dramatic reduction in pay... Now that they are gone the mag is thriving again... Diesel Power is our competition over at TEN and they are suffering while we are growing so the digital first model doesn't necessarily translate well into all magazines...

BANNED4LIFE

RDC Crypto
my only point is that 99% of readers want to know what happened in the industry 45 seconds ago, not 45 days ago.....yes, there are some holdouts, haha

ltr450rider

RDC Crypto
I still like print. o_O

I do! I like coming here and reading the "rumors" and hilarious opinions of what is happening right now. But what I really like, and would like to see more of, is in depth articles that cover an event in depth. Much like the TV shows, I want to read about what actually happened during an event, rather than reading opinions and BS that is posted in an open forum, even if it is 8 weeks after.

I would love to sit down with a print magazine, and read a well written article about what went down at any and all of the BITD and SCORE races. Driver perspectives, driver opinions, clarification of controversial events during the race. I wan't to hear about what really happened, from those who experienced it. All of this can be obtained a few days/weeks after the race with a few e-mails or god forbid, an actual phone call to willing competitors, to get what is needed to write a piece that is interesting.

I personally don't care for the digital side of media these days. Online articles just don't seem to have the content that print articles do. I feel like they are quickly written and don't cover enough.

I believe the only way to have a well done print magazine, the contributors have to be passionate about the content within. Otherwise, it's just a job and no one cares about what they write, then the reader doesn't care about what they are reading and lose interest.

I'd say take a look at Sand Sports and Hot VW's, both of those mags have a big following and they are interesting reads, because they are written by enthusiasts of the content.