On Topic What happened to the Baja 2000???

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Wow. 114 cars finished. Class 11 winner was the 99th across the line. What a trooper!

Eric Solorzano, Tijuana, Mexico Class 11 winner 69:54:12 24.026

Dan Smith/David Ashley, Riverside, CA, Trophy Truck winner 32:15:19 52.061 (1st Overall)

Randy Ross

Reaction
The baja 2000 was a epic event that will live with me the rest of my life. Paired with my great friend jimmy de look Andy we were teamed with awesome friends Matias Arjona jim Disney and Bruce conrad of f&l fuel . After over 40 hours of racing we brought home the baja 2000 class 12 championship. That feeling of winning with my friends will never leave me. I got my first tattoo of the glass trophy on the back of my leg. It took massive planning a great crew of family and friends to finish this race and to win it is a lifetime memory only a few will ever do

Randy ross
20200113_113553.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JDDurfey

Reaction
The finish rate of the Baja 2000 was unbelievable. So many people were in "equipment conservation" mode because of how long the race was. I was part of a Pro bike team. I chased the whole race, top to bottom with almost ZERO sleep in a single cab Nissan mini truck! It took us 44 hours to complete the race and everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

I replaced the clutch twice and a Honda pit changed it once. Bike was tossed off a cliff into the ocean near Erendira snapping the handlebars. Rider was chased by cops on the highway going into Catavina. Bike hit a cow south of Bay of LA. One rider decided after his first section that he didn't want to ride anymore and told us to quit because we were so far behind, so another rider rode his section in the dark without pre-running, this resulted in hitting a booby trap south of La Paz and he had to ride 30 miles with a severely bent front rim. Every time I saw the bike I had to work on it and I checked it at almost every single road crossing and then some. I only missed the bike at one crossing north of Independencia because I couldn't make it from San Ignacio to there in time, but I tried.

It was a race for the record books, that is for sure. I wrote down our complete story if anyone is interested. I am told it is a pretty good read.

PeteRock

Reaction
It was such a tough race, that even a helicopter crashed one morning near Santa Rosalita??
I was lucky enough to race with the winning 5-1600 team, did two sections both of them at night. The silt near Catavnina was absolutely legendary. The canyon was full of stuck race cars of every class, lights pointing in all directions. rooster tails of silt shooting up, will never forget how my dad driving the car did not get stuck, almost defied physics, but we got through there somehow.

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
We ran the Baja 2000 in my Corona Extra Jimco 2000 with a team of Doug Fortin, John Marking, Dave Richardson, and myself. I started and went about 2 miles and the transmission got stuck in 4th gear. Doug Fortin Sr. has to come back and find us in the wash and get the transmissions unstruck which took about 75 minutes. Passed 78 moving vehicles in the first 450 miles until I passed the buggy off to Doug Fortin. I believe we got 3rd in Class 1 and 6th overall with time over 35 hours.
I think it would be fun to do it again but unlikely it will happen.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
It was such a tough race, that even a helicopter crashed one morning near Santa Rosalita??
I was lucky enough to race with the winning 5-1600 team, did two sections both of them at night. The silt near Catavnina was absolutely legendary. The canyon was full of stuck race cars of every class, lights pointing in all directions. rooster tails of silt shooting up, will never forget how my dad driving the car did not get stuck, almost defied physics, but we got through there somehow.

Yes I remember that. It was chaos. Even with 4wd I was very worried about it so we drove up on a small hill and waited for dust to clear as we mapped out a plan knowing that as soon as we dropped down we would be blind with silt over the hood. While sitting there, Mark Miller's Vortec Trailblazer TT finally caught us (they slid off a ravine shortly after the start and ended up dead last on track, but went on to contend for the win ended in 3rd place TT (4th O/A). We watched the line he took then did the same. Made it without issue. The 5 min we spent stopped could have turned into hours stuck, there were cars everywhere. We arrived just after sunset and there were lights pointing in the sky from buried cars, and lights every which way.

SC150

Reaction
We had an awesome race in Class 8 battling my friend Curt LeDuc. Curt and us checked out on the others but a bad pit stop cross threaded lug nuts resulting in studs pulling out in the middle of nowhere. Took hours to get in there with our spare hub but by then Francisco Monroy caught us so we ended up 3rd in Class 8 with my street legal 4wd prerunner. We had 4 drivers, Ramsey ElWardani, Steve Krieger and the legend himself, Dr. Bud Feldkamp. I drove the racetruck to work the next week without even washing it. Was fun in traffic as it would carry the left front tire in the air until you grabbed 2nd. Wow 20 years went by fast!

Chris, where's that truck now?

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Chris, where's that truck now?

I sold it to the owner of the Mastros Steakhouse chain. Saw it on TV briefly on some trophy home show from Scottsdale and it was sitting in his man cave / garage / lounge. Heard he did some nice upgrades on it, T400 instead of C6, 10" Ford instead of Dana 60, bigger tires, bigger/better shocks, etc.
Curt told me I had it setup bad and that it worked much better after the upgrades and some shock tuning. I never knew the difference at the time.

Goober

Reaction
Yes I remember that. It was chaos. Even with 4wd I was very worried about it so we drove up on a small hill and waited for dust to clear as we mapped out a plan knowing that as soon as we dropped down we would be blind with silt over the hood. While sitting there, Mark Miller's Vortec Trailblazer TT finally caught us (they slid off a ravine shortly after the start and ended up dead last on track, but went on to contend for the win ended in 3rd place TT (4th O/A). We watched the line he took then did the same. Made it without issue. The 5 min we spent stopped could have turned into hours stuck, there were cars everywhere. We arrived just after sunset and there were lights pointing in the sky from buried cars, and lights every which way.

What happened to Mark Miller?