• Forum membership has its advantages....

What holds back American Teams for the Dakar?

randy s

for me the answer to the question is it's too expensive and screws up your personal schedule for work and/or family time and your regular race schedule and in order to do it right, you need to spend too much time planning organizing and prepping..either you race up here in north america for the whole season racing for points and a chance for a class title in front of family and friends or you do dakar for two weeks straight once a year and get your asses handed to you in front of strangers for lack of experience and nav skills or the brand new part that never breaks fell off in the dirt and the old part you left at home 2500 miles away because you didn't think you'd ever need it ruins your race in stage 2..or something....and chances are there's always gonna be something and it just ain't worth it to find out what it is..

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
"A challenge for those who go. A dream for those who stay behind". Says it all really!

Suhaib Kiani

What wonderful posts and excellent responses! I can't help but to go lateral here....

I recall reading somewhere that desert racing / offroad rallying is similar to mountaineering. I don't know how far you can take the analogy but by some stretch of the imagination, I see the Baja 1000 as the Everest while the Dakar is the K2 : K2 Calling: The world's most dangerous peak... - Photo | Red Bull Adventure

Not to say that either one is easy (or cheap)....... but for starters if you live or play close to one, you wouldn't bother much about the other. Unless maybe if you want to be the best or the greatest!

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Some people want to be a big fish in a small pond, others want to swim in the ocean.

However, saying that, my Dakar ride was a pure fluke, so I count myself very lucky...

Currently making plans to head down to the Baja 1000, so let's see what transpires!

RGFan

Was reading this before, meant to answer but went on a work trip for a few weeks.....

RG said it in his response......I will go even further.....Remove Stage 2 from the equation, Gordini is in top 5. This is no longer a case of 2wd vs. 4wd IMO anymore.

Why is Mini and Toyota so dominant.....Reliability is one thing, a very important thing, but numbers is another. Money provides drivers and additional vehicles. When you can throw 3, 4, 5, or 10 reliable, fast cars towards the goal of winning, your odds of winning are going to increase (with the talent behind the wheel of course). With one car, if you break down seriously your race is over. If you have 5 cars, if one breaks down, you have 4 more and a parts mule.

RG spent 2014 working out the bugs. While it was painful to watch (and I'm sure even more painful to be a part of), it served its purpose. The car was significantly improved for 2015. For 2015 it still had a couple of unforeseen issues which RG eluded to, but it was much improved. I personally like his odds this year, but from a pure numbers standpoint, If you have 1 fast, reliable car and talent going for a win vs. 5 fast, reliable cars and talent going for a win, the 5 car team is going to have a better chance in this event.

With that being said, I do enjoy watching RG trying to make a go of it. And he always has a racers chance with his talent and with a fast, reliable vehicle. But I sure do wish RG could rally the funds and the troops to put America's best in equally prepared Gordinis, 3, 4, 5 of them and make a run at it.

Just the opinion of a fan

Last edited: