What is a Prerunner?

deleted

----
Reaction
What is a prerunner? I want to see how far this can go......

Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports
Flat-Bill Up

yotatech

Reaction
My opinion of a prerunner is a truck that can be taken off road and is street legal. It can range from mild to wild. Aprerunner does not have to be a $150,000 custom built machine. Just a few add ons are good to. Until recently i had a stock 4x4 toyota that i took to races and had a lot of fun playing with, and i finally saved enough to get a long travel kit which is cool and i have even more fun playing with it now. That my opinion, there isnt a real definition for it.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I'll bite. I think that a prerunner must have:

A cage
Coilovers
A spool or something similar
Must be street legal
Must be able to run on anywhere on any course and at a decent speed
At least 4-point harnesses
Off-road lights or a light bar
Tool box and......
Must be able to drive to the races, chase/prerun and then drive home

This might be bigger than the "TT next season" thread or the "favorite prerunner" thread a while back!!

See ya in the dirt!

NOODLE

Reaction
I think the true definition of a prerunner has been so distorted in the past years that no one can say for sure. In my opinion, a prerunner is anything used to PRERUN a course. It doesnt have to have anything special:coilovers, fiberglass, longtravel,etc. It needs to be reliable and able to cover the given terrain. But, this is just my opinion.

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

elcaprerunner

Reaction
The definition of a prerunner is a vehicle to drive the course before racing. But there is alot of stuff that is called "prerunner'' these days, so it is hard to define. A prerunner can be a little buggy with beam front suspension or a full tube chassis long travel 500HP beast. Just whatever you can have the most fun in......Okay, that was my serious answer, now to my goofball one.......

A Ranger that is stock width with a Fabtech lift, full fiberglass, a bunch of King and Metal Mulisha stickers all over it, and in some cases, a flat bill.

My prerunner will be similar to JeepSpeed, and in the future.....an El Camino.

P.S. That was not to make fun of anyone here because I don't think anyone here is that person, everyone here is a dezert person. The person I described.......his truck never sees dirt. I think I just started a war, though I didn't mean to.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I think that before this tread goes any further, we must define the boundaries. Noodle is correct in saying that a prerunner could be called anything that can prerun a course. However, is that to say that my dad's stock F1 is a prerunner? Sure it could "prerun" a course very slowly, but I wouldn't call it a prerunner. Maybe its a prerunner in the loosest sense, but I don't think it is a true prerunner.

So for the sake of argument I think a prerunner should be defined as something that was designed with prerunning in mind. What that consists of is up to us to decide...........

P.S. El Cap, do a search for "You know your trucks disco when". There was a whole thread dedicated to disco trucks like you described. Pretty funny.

See ya in the dirt!

deleted

----
Reaction
yea we must define prerunner. if we dont there are a lot of Enterprise Rental Expedition that we and others have torror prerunning and i know those things arent prerunners but they are just as fun cuz they arent yours and its only 10 dollars a day for insurance.
Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports
Flat-Bill Up<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by John_Bitting on 12/12/02 07:55 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

michael_loomis

Reaction
to my knowledge , there is only "1" REAL prerunner and its made by toyota....:)

but seriously....ive preran in lots of vehicles , from rentals to full blown racecars . there is NO difference , if your PRERUNNING a race , then the vehicle in question , is indeed a "prerunner" .

just remember , with a few safety items , even a RENTAL could be entered into a race! ......BTW what do you think RAMSEY ? this could be your next Baja adventure !!

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
"A Ranger that is stock width with a Fabtech lift, full fiberglass, a bunch of King and Metal Mulisha stickers all over it, and in some cases, a flat bill."
WHEW!! Thats a good one, good thing this isnt any other message board or everyone would be crappin there pants defending there trucks. I really the flat bill...thats hillarious!!! Because I swear you go to the desert or a punk concert and its like an advertisement for SKIN,FLESHGEAR and Flatt Bills. HAHA

JCA

Reaction
I think the term "prerunner" is way over used. The term "prerunner" use to describe a vehicle associated to a race team that had the purpose of prerunning the course for familiarization and were modified for this purpose. A stock truck or one with a bumper and glass fenders (usually white non painted ones j/k) IMO does not fit this bill.

Chase Truck= a term that is used for a vehicle that is associated with a race team of which its purpose is to "chase"/support the race vehicle and race team. This does not have to be owned by the race team but rather describes it's function for the race team.

Desert Truck= a term used to describe all the modified trucks that frequent the desert and modified for such a purpose but are not associated with a team. I am not saying that they are not friends of a team or don’t occasionally go along when prerunning but it would not be considered a function for the team. I have seen desert trucks that are nicer than some prerunners it is just they don’t hold the function of "prerunner" for a team.

There are other terms out there to describe trucks that are for all sorts of different functions such as 4 wheelers, rock crawlers and tow rigs. If a truck fits multiple billets then it is going to be called a lot of things. I have a Bronco that has 9100 C/O's in the front, 9100's, Deavers in the back, air bumps all the way around, GPS, 2way radio and other stuff. By jrsyko's definition it is not a prerunner (not picking on you. just needed an example) because it does not have a cage, seats and a harness (all coming soon I hope). I do consider it a prerunner though, because I use it to prerun all the races I am going to race and it is modified for that purpose. I also use the Bronco as the main chase during the race.

Now all of this is just my opinion but I like it when the name gave you it's function not its look.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

deleted

----
Reaction
I dont want this to get out of hand...........
On my earlier post i noticed that after i read it may sound like i was bashing those prep shops Let it be known that those are the premiere prep shops in off-road(along with Elite) and i was just refering to not having to prep a rental like you do a prerunner.

Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports
Flat-Bill Up

shrek

Reaction
Matt--boy did you open a can of worms.

Prerunner--anything designed to be used for pre-running a race beforehand to learn the course better. Different vehicles can be effective depending what class you run. i.e.;you dont need Kyle Taylors prerunner that will run comfortably at 75 through one section that your race vehicle will only run 20 through. That will do you no good. The best situation is if you have a "prerunner" that has comperable limitations that your race vehicle has, while providing a few more comforts such as glass, air conditioning, stereo----etc. The point is that you need to see the course from somewhat the same point of view(speed) that you would in your race vehicle if you really want to learn the course. (within reason, obviously).

What do ya' think of that!!

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Prerunners are defined differently by those of us who race, and those don't. To me, a prerunner is anything I can get my hands on to take me around the course before the race. Be it a four seater, an XR650, a rental car, my motorhome, whatever. Anything to prevent me from taking the racecar around and chance breakin something before the race starts.

sweetdevil

Reaction
I agree, there is a big difference between a Dezert Truck, a disco truck and a prerunner. A lot of people have dezert trucks that will never see a race course, but love to go play in the whoops, or jump it. A lot of prerunners (trucks used to pre-run a race course) may never catch much air, and well, we all know what disco trucks do (or don't do). I think Prerunner just became the nickname for a truck designed for the dezert.

Here is Jen's definition from Prerunners.com:

What's a "prerunner" ?
The term "prerunner" originally meant a vehicle that was not a race vehicle, but was used to go around a racecourse prior to a race so that someone could familiarize themselves with the course, or in other words, a prerunner is used to pre-run a course.

Today, the term "prerunner" is used to typically describe a two-wheel drive truck that has been modified to handle the rough terrain of the desert at a high rate of speed. Some are pretty, some are functional, some are both. But don't let looks fool you...sometimes the ugliest of prerunners can perform like a dream! The prerunners phenomena is sweeping the west and it'd be nearly impossible to drive the freeways of Southern California without seeing one.

The "prerunner look" is obtained usually by mounting flared fiberglass fenders which allows for better tire clearance, performance or race shocks, a tubular bumper and skid plate, and bigger and more aggressive tires. That will get you a decent offroad truck, but for those who are more serious, next would come a suspension kit or custom suspension components, such as bent I-beams for older Fords or custom upper and/or lower A-arms. At this point it would be wise to also include a roll cage.

Some people don't want to stop there. More and more often you can find a truck that has been "3 or 4 linked". What this means is that the frame has (usually) been cut away and the rear end is attached via swing-arms, usually after removing the whole bed and adding fiberglass bedsides. Many people will often switch out there stock rear axle with one that is beefier. Ford 9 inch rear ends and Dana 60's are the preferred choice of most prerunners.

There are many more things you can do to a prerunner truck to make it custom...race seats, after-market gauges, custom graphics, and on and on. It is said that once a person starts building their truck the "curse of the prerunner" kicks in and that is that IT IS NEVER FINISHED!

Life Sucks.... get a friggin helmet

Heaven Doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Like someone said in an earlier post I think the term "Prerunner" has gotten over used lately. A lot of people outside of the scene think of a Prerunner as a truck that has the front end noticably higher then the back. Before I started getting into the scene thats what I thought too.

Now that I am more into the scene I see a Prerunner as something much different. IMO a Prerunner is any vehicle that is capable offroad that lets a race team map out a race course. A prerunner can be a stock truck with some lift, it can be a race truck itself. If its "prerunning" the course before hand then you got yourself a prerunner.

I don't think you need to put any requirements, such as coilovers on a prerunner. Wouldn't that mean all 7s trucks can't prerun a course? :)

Do I have a Prerunner? Nope, I got myself a Dezert Truck that I hope is my Prerunner someday when I race my center-mounted A-armed, 4 Linked Tundra race truck!

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I called my two old prerunner toyotas "prerunners" for years. However, I never once used them to pre run a race course for the purpose of familiarizing myself with the course. I played on old courses, chased many times, etc. but never actually raced. In a sense, I mislabled my trucks. I used to prerun races in the desert (D-37) on my actual race bike. So now that is confusing too! AAAHHHH.....J/K! What do you guys consider to be a disco truck and why is it called disco? Nevermind!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right.

Donahoe

Reaction
A prerunner is a vehical USED to check out a race course prior to the race. ANY vehical... Stock or highly modified.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

martininsocal

Reaction
Yeras ago, Dusty Times did an article on a Prerunner. It was Jim Dyers Baja Bug that he used to prerun before the races. The article went so far as to describe a prerunner this way... A prerunner is a vehicle that has had modifications made to increase reliability and confort while travelling over the racecourse prior to the race. The vehicle should be able to attain near race speeds when it can while travelling slow enough when it needs to... Dwyer was racing a 10 car at the time and the baja had a wide beam, 105" wheelbase, 3x3 rear arms, decent pump gas motor, and window glass. Very simple car by todays standards, but a good car none the less. Later, Dusty Times did an article about John Baker and his race program. He said a Prerunner was usually a 4x4, built with a mild suspension, and would be able to traverse the course without getting stuck. It would also double as a parts carrier and supplier for the race truck on race day and could be used to chase. He like the 4x4 because he said the driver could concentrate on learning the course and seeing things to use as landmarks rather than concentrating on not getting stuck. I have prerun in a glass buggy for many years and even though the car was very mild in the suspension, it got around many courses and never got stuck. I wonder how many on here would even consider a VW baja as a prerunner?

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Hey Matt,
You guys have one of the nicest functional prerunners out there. I've seen you do more laps in that than race miles out at Fud...lol