What is DOM/4130 mix?

Reaction
Stopped by the metal yard and saw some tubing that just looked different to me. They said it was a mix between mild DOM and CROMO4130, and it was priced right in the middle of the two. Is this stuff worth using on a hard run prerunner? or just pay the $1.50 per foot more and get the 4130?
Thanks

maxyedor

Reaction
DOM is a manufacturing process and has become a "slang" term for any mild steel tube that has been produced by drawing it over a mandrel with a carbon content that can fits tech requirements (most common are 1018, 1020, 1026 DOM), and 4130 is a material spec, never seen a pice of 4130 that wasn't also DOM. Call them up and ask them what they mean by "mix of DOM and 4130". Only thing I can think of is that they're telling you regular 4130 seamed tube that's been drawn over a mandrel during the manufacturing process, or seamless 10xx DOM is the "hybrid" tube, and seamless 4130 is the "normal" 4130, a phone call should clear it all up.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
Ditto, I've never heard 4130 referred to as DOM..

Reaction
Went down to the metal yard and they said that the DOM/CROMO mix is "It is right in the middle of the two in strength. that is 4130 seam welded but still drawn over mandrel about 5 times, were 4130 is stronger and only drawn 1 time."
I stuck to what I know and stayed with the CROM. They are going to give me 2 sticks of the mix to try on a bumper project and will let you know how it bends and welds.

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
Went down to the metal yard and they said that the DOM/CROMO mix is "It is right in the middle of the two in strength. that is 4130 seam welded but still drawn over mandrel about 5 times, were 4130 is stronger and only drawn 1 time."
I stuck to what I know and stayed with the CROM. They are going to give me 2 sticks of the mix to try on a bumper project and will let you know how it bends and welds.

does the tubing have any kind of marking or labeling on the tube ?? if so post a image of the label i,m curious as to what you have come across .

TUBETECK

Reaction
Yuuup I'd have to agree. It sounds like this yard got something from somewhere and does'nt know what to call it, but they will try to sell it as some special alloy mix between 4130 and mild steel. If your really concerned about the make up of the material tell the yard that you want the MTR reports or the mill specs of that particular tube. If they start to back step you should do the same. Is it worth your safety or your customers?

maxyedor

Reaction
Sounds like they're just talking about seamed DOM 4130 tube in a very confusing way, pretty common in other industries, almost non-existent in offroad because the price difference is normaly very small, maybe a few cents per foot, so there's no reason not to buy seamless. Just sounds confusing if they're talking about 2 types of 4130 tube, between the Mild DOM and seamless 4130 in strength, does not mean a hybrid alloy.

Reaction
You are right, the were talking about seamed DOM 4130 tube. I'm going to stick with the seamless 4130 and may use the other for odd jobs/bumpers. Thanks everyone for your input.