What is Robby building?

RGFan

Well, it doesn't look untested there... Any race, but especially the 1000 will be a tough race to win right out of the box with what is essentially a new truck (I know it isn't). But it sure looks like it is working well in the vids.

JDDurfey

I am surprised he doesn't have more of a front bumper the way he likes to smash into the back of other race trucks!

BajaFand

Wouldn’t allowing the air through the hood create less drag than a solid hood/“nose”? I also see benefit in reducing the amount of air forced under the truck.
Yes I think you are correct. It also looks to me like the grill is slanted back more than his regular Chevy style and judging by the rise in the fender arches the center of the hood has a lower profile than it used to. Old school drop down style. Either that or the hood is in the same place but the front has more uptravel than it used to

jon coleman

butt if your Only running just enough air flow to cool rad/ eng., the drag created is nominal to another air flow direction onto radiator, i think previous thought is right, this set up is for down force, any AERO stuff on the back of his truck?

stephenrjking

butt if your Only running just enough air flow to cool rad/ eng., the drag created is nominal to another air flow direction onto radiator, i think previous thought is right, this set up is for down force, any AERO stuff on the back of his truck?
The video suggests that the rear profile of his truck is largely unchanged from previous editions. It is conceivable that someone could try to install a ground-effect profile on the underside of the truck, but the benefit of that is questionable and the dust plume in the video indicates that there is no significant ground effect on the underside.

I continue to suspect there might be some cooling activity in the front, since the shape matches cooling architectures that have been used in racing, but I would guess that nobody would want a system vital to the operation of the truck in such a vulnerable place. Given the shape of the skidplate, I now believe that the primary function of this is drag reduction. Finding a way to smoothly direct air around the truck will reduce the size of the hole it punches in the air, and if you aren't putting important things up front anyway, you can do it for zero performance cost, so why not?

Fourstroker

Yep. Robby's truck is only setup for 1 spare tire. If the lugs or offsets were different he would need to run 2 spares. But as Loomis mentioned he plans on having both on wide 5 by the 1000. Guessing my previous post is how he will do it. Wider housing

y2kbaja

hood scoop could also be to pull air OUT of the under hood area.

randy s

a new totally carbon fiber body would be the sweetest thing..

Bricoop

Apologies if this one has been posted before. RG from chopper. The awdTT appears 'sit down' pretty hard at times.
Looks like the rears are a little soft. King commented with some fire emojis, makes me guess they are involved.

They mentioned the speed utv will be running the same front setup (I don’t believe any other utvs have run inboards before).

It’ll be neat to see this thing run in dust at speed. That’ll may give us an idea of the airflow around/above the cab.

RG ran carbon on his Dakar cars (well the hummers he did). He used a UK company back in the late 2000s b/c theif process created lighter bodies than what was going on in the US.

partybarge_pilot

The input shaft/torsion bar. It runs the length of the mainshaft. Originally he had a short one and had issues. They then increased the length and went to a bigger spline for the clutch disk. End of problems.

MX304

Fish just posted on FB that Robby wadded the truck up at race speed. He and the co-dog are ok but the truck is in real bad shape.