What is Robby building?

jon coleman

aero is Very important, when i fly my tundra at bark river , down force makes a big
20191019_190930.jpg
difference in the attitude of the tragectory, thus affecting lap times, 1: 05 is my fast lap

RGFan

If you are still talking about the hood, its similar to the new hood on the Pista, F1 inspired, called an S duct.
Yes more down force at least on this car.
They were using this duct way before the Ferrari Pista….Try the Ford/Shelby GT 40's in the mid 60's. Not sure if they were used prior.
1571544395582.png

green787

They were using this duct way before the Ferrari Pista….Try the Ford/Shelby GT 40's in the mid 60's. Not sure if they were used prior.
View attachment 205791
That's right, it's Le Mans.... not formula one.... mostly to facilitate the radiator and then no need to send all that air under the car when you send it straight up.... Tends to fog the windshield until you are going 200mph down the back stretch...... I could easily see where this would be useful if your Unicorn would go 140mph on a dry lake bed............. Chasing the Rainbow.....

RGFan

the radiator is in the nose, that is for the air to escape
Without a doubt... The more air, the easier the air can pass through the cooler, the more efficient the cooler can be. But the truck is 16 years old and has never had the duct before. Nor do the other trucks have it....Makes you wonder if there is an aerodynamic component to this as well or if it is just for cooling. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how the truck does and now if it can be repaired in time.

Hendricus

Is this thread the best place to follow the development of this truck? This is big news. I know Robby is not the only awd truck builder. But Robby's unique mid engine truck, now going to awd is a very cool build. I get the trade secret stuff, but "telling the story" is a BIG reason why folks do stuff. Who wants to win a race, then never talk about? Who wants to build something, then never show anybody? Racecraft development is a big part of offroad racing.

Come on Robby! Tell the story. Let us live this with you.

Hendricus

Robby is telling the story, but we want more! Pics and videos. We want pics and video of the body off. What's that thing look like naked? How'd you set up the front end, and the drivetrain?

ltr450rider

Robby has specifically stated here and other outlets that he does not give out the details of his builds. He does not want the competition to know what he is doing as he feels that he has the better ideas to make his vehicles the best.

Remember the drama with Robert Acer and his trucks a few years ago, Robby said he could probably hang his body panels on the same hangers between the trucks.

Remember when he put a "skirt" around the bottom of his truck when parked at SEMA show before the 1000 qualifying a few years ago.

I personally remember a guy at the finish of the Parker 425 that he crossed the line first at when he first ran the sequential trans. The truck was parked out at the finish line in front of his vendor trailer and everyone was gathered around it. Some guy decided to lay on the ground and crawl under the truck to get a closer view of the drivetrain. One of Robby's guys basically came over and grabbed him by his ankles and pulled him out across the asphalt from under the truck. There were words exchanged.

Hendricus

Great input ltr450rider, thanks! I get all that, and I respect it too. I do remember the SEMA skirt.

But I also know that life is short. Robby is already extremely successful at off road racing. He's in a class of his own, especially since the success of SST. The big name builders, such as Geiser Bros, Racer Engr, etc, already know what he's doing for the most part. They could do similar if they wanted to, without ever looking under a skirt.

Re Robert Acer, where is he today? Maybe he got a leg up copying Robby, but if Acer never figured out how to innovate and solve his own problems, he will never win in this sport. He will always be racing a replica 356 Porsche.

I want Robby to relax, and enjoy the moment. Enjoy right now. Tell the story. Let the industry writers come have a look. Yes, there will be bashing. Of course there will be. Bashing is nothing new for Robby. He's never shy to bash right back.

I'll tell you what, there are quality industry guys reading and writing at RDC. Robby will get valuable pier review input, right here on RDC. Of course he will have to read through 99 pages of BS, and noobs like me, but good input will pop up.

I get that there are trade secrets and money to be made, but off road racing is the king of "Want to make a million bucks racing? Start with 10 million." Off road racing is ALL sportsman racing. It's not F1, not even close.

Aroberson

Great input ltr450rider, thanks! I get all that, and I respect it too. I do remember the SEMA skirt.

But I also know that life is short. Robby is already extremely successful at off road racing. He's in a class of his own, especially since the success of SST. The big name builders, such as Geiser Bros, Racer Engr, etc, already know what he's doing for the most part. They could do similar if they wanted to, without ever looking under a skirt.

Re Robert Acer, where is he today? Maybe he got a leg up copying Robby, but if Acer never figured out how to innovate and solve his own problems, he will never win in this sport. He will always be racing a replica 356 Porsche.

I want Robby to relax, and enjoy the moment. Enjoy right now. Tell the story. Let the industry writers come have a look. Yes, there will be bashing. Of course there will be. Bashing is nothing new for Robby. He's never shy to bash right back.

I'll tell you what, there are quality industry guys reading and writing at RDC. Robby will get valuable pier review input, right here on RDC. Of course he will have to read through 99 pages of BS, and noobs like me, but good input will pop up.

I get that there are trade secrets and money to be made, but off road racing is the king of "Want to make a million bucks racing? Start with 10 million." Off road racing is ALL sportsman racing. It's not F1, not even close.
Probably not gonna get anything more, I am even surprised that he posted a picture of it flipped over.

Aroberson

I thought the skirt stunt was to hide that he was running 35's for qualifying.. I've seen his truck up close many times and never once felt like he was trying to hide anything, before the albins and after.. Why would he waste his time updating the public on what goes on in his shop?
Why do you think he always shows up late to contingency? I know from experience everything he does is deliberate in regards to what he does around race day

Bricoop

For most off-road is a sportsman class, but not at RGM. RG is the king of hype. I believe the secrecy is for the technology,but even if its not he knows secrecy drives people to talk. We're on page 21 talking about a truck we still know very little about. The guy got sponsors to pay him to ride around the back of NASCAR for years.