• Forum membership has its advantages....

What is Robby building?

michael.gonzalez

1st pic shows most of the tube-work in the back is gone. 3rd pic shows what looks to be a radiator on the ground.

Overall, looks like the front bulkhead (all the new stuff) is mostly alright. One of the uprights in the front definitely peace'd out but rest looks okayish.

Hendricus

Of course I have no idea what caused what, or what really happened, but I'm thinking that Robby was testing the high end limits of what this truck can do. I've read that "...he was doing medium speed - only 75." But 75 in flat flying in some areas of the desert. When was the last time Robby balled one up this bad?

MCM MOTORSPORTS

How about a different crash theory. My thoughts on the crash are we were never told what suspension bolt broke. Most are thinking rear link bolt. Possibly due to the original pics. However I believe if the rear bolt on the rear link broke the truck would still be some what controllable. Unlikely to roll and rip off a front upright and the rear cage structure. Especially with RG at the wheel.

My second theory. A front upright or front bolt failed digging the lower arm into the ground causing end over end flips which would destroy the rear cage, front cage and put the truck on the roof. Plus really shake up the occupants.

If you had just done a full front redesign with new design portals and were any manufacturer. What is the last thing you are going to say was the failure? The new designed parts or the 10+ year old rear design.

Hendricus

Remember when Sheldon Creed drove Robby's truck through a cactus in the 1000, 3-4 years ago? Something just "gave way" that day too. Had nothing to do with hitting something. Robby - and Sheldon too - don't make driver mistakes. Parts just break! Bad metallurgy. Didn't cryo treat that bolt.

fishd00d

What A Joke
How about a different crash theory. My thoughts on the crash are we were never told what suspension bolt broke. Most are thinking rear link bolt. Possibly due to the original pics. However I believe if the rear bolt on the rear link broke the truck would still be some what controllable. Unlikely to roll and rip off a front upright and the rear cage structure. Especially with RG at the wheel.

My second theory. A front upright or front bolt failed digging the lower arm into the ground causing end over end flips which would destroy the rear cage, front cage and put the truck on the roof. Plus really shake up the occupants.

If you had just done a full front redesign with new design portals and were any manufacturer. What is the last thing you are going to say was the failure? The new designed parts or the 10+ year old rear design.
BINGO!!! This is my theory, check out the front lower arm, it looks like the uniball is still there but there is no upright bolted to it, that means that bolt broke and the upright came off. Could it have happened in the crash? Sure, however I personally think thats what the failure was and the rear link ripped off in the crash. The rear has been like that for how many years and never broken a bolt before and you're trying to tell me it just happened to break one that caused a crash which happened to break the bolt on the front upright and rip it off???? I don't believe it :)

michael_loomis

no the conlon truck was the one the coyne's had. not the ex huffman truck that is now robby's prerunner
Coyne did have the 31 also.. but not the Huffman 31 of the current design, the Turtle Wax (15?)/Cingular 31 truck.

J Burleson

BINGO!!! This is my theory, check out the front lower arm, it looks like the uniball is still there but there is no upright bolted to it, that means that bolt broke and the upright came off. Could it have happened in the crash? Sure, however I personally think thats what the failure was and the rear link ripped off in the crash. The rear has been like that for how many years and never broken a bolt before and you're trying to tell me it just happened to break one that caused a crash which happened to break the bolt on the front upright and rip it off???? I don't believe it :)
You guys watch too much CSI! Lol. Really though, who cares which bolt broke, or maybe no bolt broke and he was just trying to see if he coulda saved that roll over at T1 race if he had already done the awd conversion(I guess not).

MCM MOTORSPORTS

You guys watch too much CSI! Lol. Really though, who cares which bolt broke, or maybe no bolt broke and he was just trying to see if he coulda saved that roll over at T1 race if he had already done the awd conversion(I guess not).
That maybe so... I spend most of my days diagnosing Sandvik and Epiroc blast hole drill rig hydraulic failures with zero information or wrong information from the site fitters. Always trained to not look at the obvious and question the findings. There is a very carefully considered reason why RG allowed the first pics. 1 it didn't show his portals or new tech. 2 it almost didn't show why it happened. Also it gets the hype train going. I was surprised I was the first to mention it here. I guess the radiator ducting in the hood blind sided most.

Bricoop

A truck rolled at 75mph and people are able to diagnose it from a few grainy photos...enough of you have inside sources at RGM you’ll know what the truth is. Watching him bottom out the rear multiple times in a few 30 second clips, it’s totally plausible a bolt broke.

Last time I recall RG wadding is one this bad was when he endo’d the hummer in 2007-08ish.

MCM MOTORSPORTS

A truck rolled at 75mph and people are able to diagnose it from a few grainy photos...enough of you have inside sources at RGM you’ll know what the truth is. Watching him bottom out the rear multiple times in a few 30 second clips, it’s totally plausible a bolt broke.

Last time I recall RG wadding is one this bad was when he endo’d the hummer in 2007-08ish.
Ease up old mate. Or would you prefer we talk about old history or aero dynamics that do next to nothing in off road. Sometimes it happens. Fish had a nice clear pic on FB. Not grainy at all.

Bricoop

Ease up old mate. Or would you prefer we talk about old history or aero dynamics that do next to nothing in off road. Sometimes it happens. Fish had a nice clear pic on FB. Not grainy at all.
I meant the ones above and I’m not calling out anyone specifically, but the wheels are still attached to the rear axle. It just doesn’t make sense that if something else caused the roll over, that the rear end would look like that. I’d expect the wheel to fail far before a trailing arm bolt does. Thinking about the way the energy moves through a vehicle during a highspeed roll over, a trailing arm bolt should not be what fails first.

Blood Eagle

Class Act
He wadded up this truck pretty bad a few years ago outside of San Felipe as I recall. Enough to where there was enough damage for it to miss a race from being repaired. Supposedly over 100 mph IIRC