What is the best tire for a buggy

AZOffroad

Reaction
I'm looking for some advice, I have a 1.6 liter buggy with a four speed, and I race it in a Desert series. Buggy weighs about 1500lb and has about 95 HP. I'm currently running BFG 215/75 R15 MT KM2's. I'm not having very good luck with the BFG's. Every race I either cut a sidewall or have a flat. I was thinking of trying the 30/7.0 15 or 33/9.0 15 Mickey T's Baja Pro, I run 15x7 aluminum wheel with OMF beadlocks, or any other suggestions????

I'm new to desert racing so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MikeLeung

Reaction
Your car is pretty close to a 1600...and I have raced on all the tires. And the best is Centerline rims...no beadlocks...with Yoko Super Diggers

MikeLeung

Reaction
Agreed. Yokohama for sure. BTR wheels, no beadlock is my preference. I have a pile of bent up centerlines in my back yard.
Yeah Centerlines bend...but the hardly ever break.

...hey Patrick..I sent you a PM a while ago...whats the history of your 5-1600...It looks like my friends old 5-1600 that I used to race.

sidekicker

RIP Lusk & Ox
Reaction
yokohama with kmc rims it look so sick we use at baja 500

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
definitely go with yokohama super diggers... i used 2 b a huge BFG fan but i never liked the way my car works with BFG's on it... as far as wheels go i currently run centerlines but im n the process of switching to BTRs cause i have heard a lot of great things about the rims... but almost n e tire if u hit sumthin hard enough to get a flat ur gonna knock the air out of any tire...

A BRAND NAME ISNT GONNA SCARE A ROCK AWAY!!!

I'd stay away from the Mickey Thompsons... they have a weak sidewall...

M.Harvey1600

Reaction

sidekicker

RIP Lusk & Ox
Reaction

Forty1Racing

Reaction
I don't know what kind of tires my buddys 1600 car had on it but, his KMC wheels sure did take a beating! After all the beating of his terrible driving... they still looked pretty good. :D

offroadracer516

Reaction
Yokos all the way bfg has nothing on them when it comes to buggys...bfg's are for the trucks...

M.Harvey1600

Reaction

jsallenbach

Reaction
I'm no expert on this but if you were looking to save weight i would go with yoko's. Bfg's are good on buggies and trucks like class 10,12,1 but if you want to save wieght i would go with yoko's.

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
Yea I wood. haha... I'll take free good tires lol. All are good, all have strengths and weaknesses, imo
exactly... no tire will last if a driver cant stop from hittin stuff!!!

i was driving with a guy once and i was takin rocks right over top avoiding touching any of them and he told me its better to just hit them i told him hes crazy... u only hit them if u have no choice...
this was the same guy that i drove the 2007 1000 with and he only had 4 spare tires for 1296 miles...:eek:
1 tire as a spare on the car, 2 tires without rims, and a 1 tire waiting to b mounted!!! absolute crazyness... but i was lucky i didnt have a flat with the BFG bajas for my whole 696 mile stint from Ensenada to San Ignacio before we lost the motor

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
Yokos all the way bfg has nothing on them when it comes to buggys...bfg's are for the trucks...
as NIMROD would say BFG's belong on the trucks that tow real race cars!!! haha