What is the best type of steel for boxed a-arms?

orvacian

Reaction
I have decided to (#1) purchase a welder, (#2) learn how to weld, (#3) make some kick ass a-arms! Don't
, I'm not kidding!

When building boxed a-arms, what is the thickness and type of metal that is generally used? I don't want to use chromoly as I probably would need abilities and techniques not possible with my budget and experience. I am thinking mabye 1/8" cold-rolled plate over a .120 wall DOM inner frame? Or can they be made with just plate? I know this a very generalized question, I am only looking for your suggestions or personal preferences. Thanks!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by orvacian on 07/06/02 01:30 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

ntsqd

Reaction
There is a general class of steels called "HSLA's" that I would look into. HSLA stands for "High Strength, Low Alloy", these are steels with mild steel carbon content, but because of other alloying elements they are stronger than mild steel. Some are suitable for your purpose, some are not. I don't know which are which. Most of the AR or abrasion resistant alloys I'm told tend to have low impact strength, so you may want to stay away from them unless the part is a skidplate and not structural.

If you're going to learn to weld, find someone to teach you. Most JC's have evening welding classes. Any teacher of an evening class is doing so because of A) a passion for the subject matter, & B) a love of teaching. Those are important reasons. Your learning curve will be far shorter and faster, and you won't develop as many bad habits with some good instruction. I would do this b4 making the welder purchase for a couple of reasons. The first is that you'll be better informed about desirable features. The second is that sometimes a local welding supplier will have a student purchase program.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

cleartoy

Reaction
Congrats. I got my own MIG and bender a couple months ago, and making your own stuff is very rewarding.

Deffinitely get someone to teach you , wheter its a class, or on the job training.

Making suspension pieces is serious stuff. Besides welding experience, there are other things to consider like geometry.

Good luck.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Dave_G

Reaction
The best type of material to use for A-arms is aluminum. ;-) Here's some pics of some billet upper ones were making.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Attachments

Dave_G

Reaction
Another pic...

Attachments

Dave_G

Reaction
You need lots of flood coolant when moving this much material.

Attachments

Dave_G

Reaction
A good corner radius end mill gives a good finish to the upper edge of the pockets. ;-)

Dave

Attachments

Dave_G

Reaction
Re:"I'll take a set please! :)"

Ok, just send me your Visa card number and your first born ! .......hehe

Dave

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Oh thats it?? I thought it would take my whole family, thats a pretty good deal then! :)

How about a trade, The General for a set...you know you want to :)

Go Big Or Go Home

Dave_G

Reaction
Damn fish, you really know how to drive a hard bargain! :-0

Dave

Dave_G

Reaction
RE: Umm, more like 75k to 100k.

Ummm, keep going. The last one we bought was $300K

Dave

ntsqd

Reaction
"The last one we bought was $300K"

Didn't know Bridgeport Bandits went for that much......

TS

Dave_G

Reaction
Re:" Didn't know Bridgeport Bandits went for that much......"

That damn HG400III with all the options we got ran it right up to $300K in nothing flat. I did trade in a Bridgeport CNC mill as part of the down payment though and that was the best thing I ever did with that Bridgeport. I DUMPED IT! ;-)

Dave

ntsqd

Reaction
There's something like 10 HG400's on our floor here at work. From what I can see, they're worth the entry fee if you have the work to keep them busy. Sure glad I didn't have to buy them though.....

TS

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Re:" Didn't know Bridgeport Bandits went for that much......"

That's big time, I was thinking more of a shozuka knee mill with a tape reader....... Ahh, those were the days!

We don't have a need for something like the HG's. If I run more than 10 of something is a large run.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Anybody here ever run a VTL?

<font color=red>"Quality has no fear of Time"</font color=red>