What is the cheapest to build???

AZOffroad

Reaction
I do currently race in a local series (Whiplash) in the UTV/China Lite class, which I assume would be comparable to BITD Safari class maybe? I raced utility quads last year and at 44 my old body was taking to long to recover after each race. I won the championship in my class and finished 3rd overall in the points for quads last season. So this year I decided to go to something with a cage because that utility quad weighs 850 lbs and it hurts when it lands on you. My current buggy started it’s life as a Joyner Sand Viper, I run the stock 95 hp (Advertised @ 95 hp-seriously doubt 95 hp ) engine that came in it and that is a 1.6L EFI. It weights about 1800 lbs. The reason I decided to build the Joyner was because it was the cheapest way for me to get into a caged ride. The front and rear of the buggy was cut off and re-done, cage was reinforced and gusseted. Fox coil-over on all four corners. Buying the Joyner, and making it race ready I have about $13K in the buggy. To me that is pretty cheap considering I know guys that have 40 & 50K in race Rhino’s and RZR’s. That’s CRAZY IMO!

Yes I could afford to go buy a class 1, but I couldn’t afford to fix it if I broke a transmission or engine. So to me that means I can’t afford a class one.

Maybe I should have re-worded this thread to say “cheapest to build AND maintain”

Heck I would probably race my current buggy in BITD but I don’t think it would pass tech.

AZOffroad

Reaction
Unless you wanna step up..

Now that looks fast….although the suspension is something to be desired.

Tipracer

Reaction
I have seen good jeepspeeds go super cheap $10-15K, but the need a little more prep than some other classes

Reaction
AZOffroad;866841I assume would be comparable to BITD Safari class maybe? [/QUOTE said:
No, there's everything from 1/2-1600's to Class 1's and TT's.
And we often get hit by the top two Pro classes as they lap us.
You DON'T want to be out there in a Joyner.

I believe Casey has changed the name of that class to "Unlimited Sportsman" as of the TT250, to better reflect the makeup of the class.

And at the am/pm split races, some top drivers are using the class to prerun, though noat as DOR.

maxyedor

Reaction
I think $15k is pretty cheap for an off road toy.

I like the 1450 idea, parts are easy to come by between ebay, craigslist and salvage yards.

The baja bug JJ drove in his show last Sunday, what class would that be. It looked like it had tons of travel. Don't the 9 & 11 classes run the V dub motor? I hear that you can get pretty good poines of of them but are real expensive to build.

If you really want to build a budget 1450 type truck, wait for the next offroad swap-meet and bring lots of cash. Walk around and look for a deal on a front end, buy whatever's cheap and decent, and let that determine the type of truck you race. All the rest of the parts will be for sale cheap at the swap-meet, and if you don't care about having the latest and greatest bling-bling parts you can get some crazy good deals. 3" Kusters and first gen SAWs are practicly free, tires are everywhere, gets some dirty seats for next to nothing, B&W GPS units for pennies on the dollar, heims, limit-straps, bumps, springs, rear ends, all for cheap, just do yourself a favor and buy a vendor's spot to park your truck in so you don't have to lug a 9" housing and a couple sets of links out to the parking lot.

V8s are allowed in 1450, there are actually almost no rules in 1450 aside from steel cabs, and in MORE they require leaf springs, as they put all linked trucks in 1400. Don't put a v8 in unless you plan to up your budget substantially, all sorts of problems you never knew you had will start popping up and the DNFs will soon follow, just ask Dan Vance about his adventures with v8 power, then ask him about his stock v6. Pick a 4 or 6 cylinder motor and a few bolt on mods, if you blow the motor, you can always buy a new one at the junk-yard for a couple bucks and put all your good parts on it, reliability and driving ability win races, not power. v6 1450 trucks are also pretty easy to keep street legal so you don't get hasseled by "the man" when you're feeling lazy and decide to drive the race-truck out instead of taking the trailer.

JJ's Pizza Hut bug would be an unlimited Sportsman, or class 1, and there's nothing budget about that bug. 9 and 11 cars use a VW motor, but are very limited, that's where the money comes in, costs a lot to make good power out of a 1600cc VW versus just slapping a bigger motor in it.

AZOffroad

Reaction
If you really want to build a budget 1450 type truck, wait for the next offroad swap-meet and bring lots of cash. Walk around and look for a deal on a front end, buy whatever's cheap and decent, and let that determine the type of truck you race. All the rest of the parts will be for sale cheap at the swap-meet, and if you don't care about having the latest and greatest bling-bling parts you can get some crazy good deals. 3" Kusters and first gen SAWs are practicly free, tires are everywhere, gets some dirty seats for next to nothing, B&W GPS units for pennies on the dollar, heims, limit-straps, bumps, springs, rear ends, all for cheap, just do yourself a favor and buy a vendor's spot to park your truck in so you don't have to lug a 9" housing and a couple sets of links out to the parking lot.

V8s are allowed in 1450, there are actually almost no rules in 1450 aside from steel cabs, and in MORE they require leaf springs, as they put all linked trucks in 1400. Don't put a v8 in unless you plan to up your budget substantially, all sorts of problems you never knew you had will start popping up and the DNFs will soon follow, just ask Dan Vance about his adventures with v8 power, then ask him about his stock v6. Pick a 4 or 6 cylinder motor and a few bolt on mods, if you blow the motor, you can always buy a new one at the junk-yard for a couple bucks and put all your good parts on it, reliability and driving ability win races, not power. v6 1450 trucks are also pretty easy to keep street legal so you don't get hasseled by "the man" when you're feeling lazy and decide to drive the race-truck out instead of taking the trailer.

JJ's Pizza Hut bug would be an unlimited Sportsman, or class 1, and there's nothing budget about that bug. 9 and 11 cars use a VW motor, but are very limited, that's where the money comes in, costs a lot to make good power out of a 1600cc VW versus just slapping a bigger motor in it.

That's the best advice yet....Thanks. Makes sense. Didn't even think about the off road swap meet.

Found an older model 1450 Toyota truck for $3K I'm going to go look at.

AZOffroad

Reaction
if your worried about money, stick to the couch

Don't think I said anywhere that I was worried about money. Just don't want to spend my life savings doing it. No reason why you can't do it on a budget and still have a bunch of fun!

I won't mention his name but a TT guy told me not long ago it cost him a million bucks one year just to run every BITD & Score race. And that wasn't including the price of the TT. That's way way over my head.

I know there are a lot of budget racers out there....I know not everyone has RG, or BJ money.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
it doesnt take a huge budget to run tt though, were a small budget team that has a really nice truck, just took time to get it done, yes prep is a lot, but just dont be stupid, pick and choose your races and degree of prep and so on, it can be done.

diirk

Reaction
You may want to consider a Predator X18S. It's the route I went and I hope it'll be pretty reasonable in the long run. The Ecotec is well known to be pretty reliable. The chassis is very stout and the suspension is surprisingly capable. It's not the cheapest route, but it'll double as a great weekend toy too, and anyone in your family can drive it. I'm not planning to be a full time racer and I wanted something that had great ride quality, is comfortable, and can do anything I want it to.

BCGIrish

Reaction
Entering a race cheap is one thing, being competitive for cheap is another.

1450 is probably the cheapest upfront cost but it's going to take some coin to start being competitive there... well anywhere.

MARXICO

Reaction
Rent a Ride .... Put a add in the classified ads in Dusty times or RDC focused on the class your intrested in test the water before you swim...learn at others expense ......Off road swapmeet is great if you can wait untill next april...go the night before for the good deals

offroadracer516

Reaction
Class 11 is the way to go have fun for cheap the ce11 coalition in mexico makes in the biggest class down there
close to 50 cars at the last race....

TStover9

Reaction
Class 9 wouldn't be much more. But, and it's a big but, neither a class 11 or 9 is going to be a real fun desert toy when you don't want to race

Now i know that a 9 car isnt the fastest or smoothest car out there, but for the money it's a ton of fun. I had the same mindset as you before i actually went and just drove our 9 car around without helmets. Those cars take a beating and there is nothing more fun then to beat your car. I would definately reccommend to have a 2 seat 9 car for play and racing.

smt racing

Reaction
Bought used for under 15K, LeDuc built 7s, Esslinger tall deck 300hp, c4 transmission, cone 40 spline rear end.
Im 50 and raced 9 cars for years in Score and HDRA, trucks are the way to go for comfort. Biggest expense is the race gas… buy used, prep it right and go racing and have fun. 1450? nice trucks, yes you can build one cheap but you race against big dollars...watch the adds, lots of good deals to be had

AZOffroad

Reaction
So besides RDC, where is another good place to look for race buggies/trucks that are for sale?

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
thesamba.com has sum buggies for sale... also moreracing .net and snoreracing.net...