What is the craziest off road experience you have ever had?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pdailey

Pug Dad
RDC Crypto
Re: What is the craziest off road experience you have ever had?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2010 Baja 1000 in Heidi's truck. Going through Vizcaino in the middle of the night with a just about dead battery running on maybe two cylinders with no lights. Co driver had a flashlight shining out the front and I was basically aiming at the campfires from the locals. Only way I knew I was on the course.

Broncodawg

RDC Crypto
Re: What is the craziest off road experience you have ever had?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was chasing the 300 Bronco in the 2010 peninsula run and heard over the radio they had an unwanted guest in the truck.
They were passing a dead cow with hungry vultures and when they were right on it, the vultures took off. One of them had apparently gotten his fill because he was slow lifting off and came sliding across the hood right into the drivers lap! Not knowing what else to do with him, Don handed him to his co driver, who had a brief dance with the freaked out fowl before pushing him back out the window. This all happened at speed too!

steve0we

RDC Crypto
Website
www.TPMracing.net

Racing a night race in Texas in July with the temps over 100 degrees and we had about 20 miles of single track with little to no passing and day ending trees on both sides. The wind was ZERO so the dust was just hanging. My navigator started feeling warm.... then came the "I'm not feeling so good"... a few turns later he was puking out the bottom of his helmet. He said he started feeling better, then about 5 turns later, he was puking again out the window net. He kept his helmet on the entire time and never missed a turn on the JPS. left turn.....puke..... check up, right turn puke!!!!!

retroblazer

RDC Crypto

Baja 1000 Prepped the car in State College, PA and drove to Baja. Like an idiot, I forgot to turn on the fans after we left tech and drove back to the hotel at Estero and severely overheated the engine. We restarted the engine a while later and an exhaust valve seized in the guide and was bent by the piston hitting it. So at 9 pm, the night before the race, we went looking for a machine shop. We stopped by AutoZone after they were already closed and got someone to come to the door. The guy was nice enough as he could tell we were desperate. He led us to a shop, which was a one room deal behind someone's house that had an ancient valve grinder from the 50's with worn out stones. My co-driver/ engine builder Dennis Chencharick, started digging through a bucket of discarded valves. He took an undersized valve and made it work. The crew worked through the night. I finally went to bed at 1-2am and was awoken at by the engine starting at 5:30am. I started the race thinking that if the Mexicans threw out those valves, what was the chance it was going to survive a 1000 mile race. Well, it did and we got our first finish in the 1000 after four previous tries.

Freedogger

RDC Crypto

2005 Baja 1000 (loop race), I was teamed up with Rob MacCachren that season and we were leading the overall SCORE points going into the 1000. All we had to do was finish the 1000 and we would be the champions in my 1600 car.

Everything was going good, we actually were running 2nd at about mile 580, and then we broke a rod in the motor. Being that we still had 18 more hours to finish we decided to fix the motor. Unfortunately the case was in very bad shape, and we decided the best thing to do was kill two of the cylinders and make the motor a “2 cylinder” VW engine. We got it all back together and much to my surprise the thing actually ran! At that time Rob had been way down in the Vildosola TT and decided to follow me to the finish line. The car wasn’t very fast with the 2 cylinder, 35mph tops, but we figured at that pace we would have no problem finishing. Rob thought it was funny to “push” me every once in a while, BTW that was the fastest the car went all day, sketchy none the less. We made it about 100 miles like that and coming into Uruapan the motor broke another rod. When the motor broke this time we had 8 hours to finish the last 100 miles. We had no other option other than to split the cases and try to fix the case and re-build the motor again. After about 4 hours we had the re-built motor in the car, which had cut up street signs jb welded to the case to cover the hole’s the broken rods made. We figured we didn’t have much time to make a drivers change to let Rob get in the car at the finish so he took the 1600 car and I got to follow him in the Trophy truck! Off we went trying to beat the clock, trying to get a finish, and trying to win a championship. And then 40 miles into our 2nd re-build we burnt a hole in one of the pistons, we must of not timed the motor correctly in the rush of things. I got back into the car and finished the last 60 miles on 3 cylinders having to fill it up with oil every 5 miles or so. Rob jumped in the car just before the finish line and we ended up finishing the race in 30 hours 30 minutes. Unfortunately the time limit was 30 hours flat. We didn’t win the championship, but some amazing memories were made that race. I believe Rob still has the case hanging in his shop as a memento.

B-Dub 1020

RDC Crypto

OK Brian in my opinion you win. Mcgeiver or Chuck Norris cant top that. Awesome I love stories about working on your own race vehicle. Oh and getting nerf pushed by THE Rob Mac (Hall of fame stuff right there) CLASSIC!!! .

TrophyGirlDesigns

RDC Crypto

I rode in the fastest semi truck on Pikes Peak in the 2010 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb with a hollywood stunt driver, Mike Ryan. You can read about it in my blog on my website. 1,950 hp, half paved, half dirt and speeds that don't care, cliffs, weather, fans, photography equipment, losing power twice coming back down, drifting, going over 90 mph. It was all very emotional for me.

Driving between Vegas and Reno at the 2012 V2R, I was caravanning with a team. We would make pitstops and I would go play off road next to the highway until they were ready to go again. We were all on VHF and they were egging me on to pass them off road, alongside the freeway in my prerunner in this one spot. I took the right and was passing. The lead truck was giving me some tips as they had better visibility from the highway. I missed my entrance back onto the highway in front of them and hit the brakes hard as the off road section was narrowing. But the lead truck's passenger waved me ahead to another entrance so I floored it and turned left at the top of a crest about 4 feet above the highway where I could see a lake and a guard rail start. I jumped the ditch and slid into a drift into the oncoming lane at about 50 mph between an old couple I had already spun a 180 highway entrance behind about 20 miles before and the second vehicle in our caravan. Needless to say, there were cheers on the radio and high fives when we got to Reno.

And two wheeling twice on a short course track during a race. That's always a good time when you land it.

GRIDERRACING

RDC Crypto

2006 baja 1000 RG has me unbuckle my belts and crawl between the seats and over the motor to check all the plug wires. We are doing 130mph across diablo dry lake and I am trying to push down on the caps of the spark plugs between the headers. The caps on the coil looked fine so I left them alone. Maybe just racing with RG was just crazy!

Travisfab

RDC Crypto

Hopped into the wrong buggy with the wrong dude. I was un aware of his hammered level, and unaware how fast an X5 is. 30 feet landing on flat ground was not exactly fun!

mexracer10

RDC Crypto

that's a tough one, never get in a car with someone with something to prove to you, good combo for bad things.
Freedogger that's an amazing story, and i used to think things like that only happened to us.....well guess not

harleys dad

RDC Crypto

I've got a better story. Not involving me, but my Dad.

He was coming into El Alamo area at a Baja 500 in the early 90s maybe late 80s, and came into a populated area. As he's coming into it, he sees a local lay down in the middle of the road, no jump, parrellel with the course. My dads only move was to drive perfectly straight over him, under the skid plates if you could imahine. So he gave it gas to get the car up and drove over him. Looked in his mirror and the guy stands up.

I have another story involving my Dad as well.

One year he won the Baja 1000, he was following Bob Gordon into the finish and to trick Bob into thinking it was just a bike behind him, not Mark McMillin, my dad turned all of his lights off except one. So Bob cruised into the finish thinking he won it was just a bike behind him, no one was close enough to him. Right before they crossed the line, my dad turned on all the lights, and won the race.
Dan I remember it being the 1984 Baja 1000 the guy laid down as your dad was coming into Ensanada for the win.

Endo242@link

RDC Crypto

Ended up in the grey bar hotel in San Felipe a few years ago. A couple of sheriff friends and the driver found me there. It was either there, or Iguanas, & Iguanas was closed! I got hooked up to an IV to sober me up, then off to contingency.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto

Racing a night race in Texas in July with the temps over 100 degrees and we had about 20 miles of single track with little to no passing and day ending trees on both sides. The wind was ZERO so the dust was just hanging. My navigator started feeling warm.... then came the "I'm not feeling so good"... a few turns later he was puking out the bottom of his helmet. He said he started feeling better, then about 5 turns later, he was puking again out the window net. He kept his helmet on the entire time and never missed a turn on the JPS. left turn.....puke..... check up, right turn puke!!!!!

I believe I was at the same race. I wasn't planning on getting in a car, but had my gear. Last minute I was asked to co-drive the last two laps in the Hooters 1600 car. That narrow tight stuff got me on the last lap and I puked my frito pie in my helmet and my skirt kept it all contained. Not a pleasnt experience.

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto

Rode in a stock full in Baja. Slept under a stock full in Baja. Slept in a stock full in Baja. Fell asleep while coriding through Erindera in a stock full. I don't think I will give stock full a try again.

spi6616

RDC Crypto

Great story!! I love to hear of the challenges and adversity we face in Baja!!

oldschool5er

RDC Crypto

Just after crossing the finish line in the 76 or 77 B1k Hank Roed and I were driving through the city streets to the impound area for teardown inspection, I saw a stop sign coming up but we were so fatigued I saw Hank wasn't going to stop so I started yelling ALTO! ALTO! instead of STOP! we both didn't speak much spanish. Hank looked over at me with this HuH? look and proceded to run the stop sign in which after all those racing miles without any damage promptly,.. T-Boned a propane truck who had the right a way. Long story short Hank ended up being hauled off to Jail, I got the car to impound but Best award for us was Sal Fish showing up at the jail and after greasing a few palms got Hank out in time for the awards. THANKS AGAIN SAL!! Saved the Day. LOL