• Forum membership has its advantages....

What is the oldest living american off-road race car?

Repashy

I actually had negotiated a deal for Pete Condos "Brick Privy" a few years ago over the phone when it turned up on Craigslist as part of his estate. The seller called me back while I was loading the trailer and told me someone else showed up with cash and he sold it without even asking me to match the offer..... It was in pristine unrestored condition and I believe ran in the first races. Its out there somewhere and I hope it will show up again ready to race.

toddz

I actually had negotiated a deal for Pete Condos "Brick Privy" a few years ago over the phone when it turned up on Craigslist as part of his estate. The seller called me back while I was loading the trailer and told me someone else showed up with cash and he sold it without even asking me to match the offer..... It was in pristine unrestored condition and I believe ran in the first races. Its out there somewhere and I hope it will show up again ready to race.
You got skunked by Jonathan Ward at ICON. He bought it and as far as I know still has it - he's had it for sale in Hemmings and a few other places.

Todd Z.

Mark Newhan

That's probably it! And it brings up the age-old question in determining the answer to such a question - when exactly was the first 'american' off road race?

Todd Z.

Todd,

You need to start writing a book (if you aren't already). I want the first copy...

Mark Newhan

By the way...

I'm a NASCAR fan. Wasn't always, until I met Dale Ernhardt in 1995. That's another story...

A lot of guys here on RDC use NASCAR as a perjorative. However the early NASCAR racers and cars aren't that much different than our early vehicles. True grit comes to mind... Outlaws to the core, not just posers

These cars are probably the first "Off Road Race Cars"... Class 6 perhaps?

Attachments

burro8

My Bob Sinclair racing Volvo Burro was built by the late Hilder Tiny Thompson in 1967. Raced the 68 1000 & Stardust 7-11 also 69 1000 & 500. It is also in the Harrah's Auto Museum in Reno.

germancarsonly

I think the Riverside Gran Prix predates the first Mexican 1000. Carl Jackson still has his Jeep from those races and I know of at least one Bronco from that era.

Todd Z.
I have to to agree with this as to what most of us consider true modern "off-road racing". Before Brian Chuchua's 4 Wheel Drive Grand Prix the racing consisted of the the desert race held at Truth or Consequences New Mexico and the obstacle course races held in the dunes on holidays at Pismo. Buttercup, Glamis. and places like that. Carl's Father Bud also raced the New Mexico races. Carl Jackson started racing his black CJ5 while he was in high school. He competed in both these types of races with it before Chuchula's races of which Carl won overall back to back. People were amazed at the Chuchula races that Carl with his 4 cylinder F head powered Jeep could beat the V-8 powered specially built racers. They overlooked 2 things. The first of course was Carl who was one of the best of the early racers and has never received as much credit as he is due. The second thing many people overlooked is his little lowly Jeep had a Corvette steering box. You can see it in the photo I am posting in front of the grille.

grand-prix-riverside-brian-chuchua-jeep-picture-id163091934.jpg

I still have the 1966 Landcruiser that Ed Pearlman and Dick Cepek tried to break the record of Bud Eikns, Eddie Mulder, Cliff Coleman and Dave Eikns, that was done on Triumph motorcycles in 1966 ish. Does anyone want to restore it and race it again ????????