• Forum membership has its advantages....

What is ultimate UTV pre runner???

Baja Bryan

Thoughts Polaris, Can am, and Artic cat ???

We always do our first pre run lap in UTV to mark the GPS. We have been running the Rzr 2 and 4 seat. Power is not much of a issue since we are taking it easy. What has the best suspension for 30-40 mph on these baja races courses?

Baja 1000 is coming up and is going to be a lot of miles. Leaning for the 4 seater for two people for good storage. Not sure if the 2 seat X3 has enough room for storage or if the 4 seat X3 is to long 135" wheelbase

I know Rzr will have a new adjustable suspension but on its best day will it be better than 24" of travel on the X3? Can any fox or king rzr suspension beat a good fox or king X3 suspension?

Who has had both RZR and X3 and how do they compare?

Zambo

I have the x3 and we covered so much ground quickly while prerunning the 500 I was amazed. As for storage I took everything I needed without issue in the two seater but I fabbed my own spare tire mount and an aux fuel tank. A small roof rack would probably be an easy and handy addition. It was my first time prerunning in a utv and we had a blast.

Probably the biggest upgrade you can do is have the shocks custom tuned. Huge difference from stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baja Bryan

Do you have the wider X3 RS? Does anyone make a Aux fuel tank for them yet?

In a 4 seater X3 RS I would take out the rear seats and build storage boxes. Just worried 135" WB might be to long. Also can any UTV run a 35" tire yet? like a Class 10 bfg tire.

Zambo

Yes I have the wide one. You probably can just put a 2 or 3 gallon rotopax under each seat. Honestly I didn't really need the extra gas but it was comforting to have. I think you would be fine even with that crazy long x3 max but IMO you aren't going to need a whole back seat worth of room. I put spare parts on the cage and behind the seats. I put all the tools and the scissor jack in a husky bag. And we each brought a duffel bag with clothes. That's it.

Zambo

OBTW I rode in a rzr that trip for a bit with stock seats.....no bueno. The seats in the x3 were ok but not fabulous.

JoeyD23

The RZR XP Turbo & X3 are very comparable and both very capable. Lots more products available at this point for the RZR having been around longer. But both can be modified into awesome pre-runners. Taking a RZR XP4 Turbo and converting it into a two seater gives you a ton of behind the seat storage. I have only seen racers convert the 4 seat X3s into race cars, not pre runners. I think that X3 max 4 seater has to be a Cadillac in the bumps but with a wheel base longer than a standard trophy truck it may make for some hassles in other areas.

You can't go wrong with a RZR or X3. You can get much better pricing on new RZR turbos then you can on the X3.

NIKAL

For the last few years we have used our UTV's to do play trips in Baja. We leave the trailers behind and have no Chase, so we have to pack everything for a 3-4 day run. We like to calculate our fuel mileage at 180-200 miles. To do that we carry two extra 5 gal cans in the rear seat racks I built. I used stock seat bases and bolted the racks to them. So they are real easy to remove if you need to access the engine compartment. in the seat rack we have the two gas cans, a cooler and our duffle bags. In the bed area I have my spare tire rack, which tilts up and I have a gear bag in the bed. It carrys my tools, & spare parts.

Overall this setup has worked better then I had expected. Just ask my old Baja Bug prerunner that has been sitting covered up the past few years!

harleys dad

I bought a 17 xp4 1000, have H town performance 4+ suspension Summersbrothers axles all pivots have been strengthend cagewrx race cage windshield intercom GPS custom PRP seats up front stock in the back 32 in tires fox shocks tuned by Wayne from Fox I use it to pre run the Barstow and Lecurn races my son races including Caliente we go around at least 5 times and 100-200 grand pre runners get in the way. I pre run race speeds with 4 of us in it I have had virtually zero problems with it just gas and go. Its nearly a single shock 10 car with 4 wheel drive and a low range. that will go 80 mph. I have yet to break a belt thanks to a trinity clutch kit. The ride is un believable never get tired driving it. I stayed away from the Turbo because the friends I have that have them have had a lot of trouble with axles and belts and going into limp mode .. Mine is on display at Nexgen off road in Murrieta, I have zero regrets buying it or putting what I have on it. It flat hauls A pre running

harleys dad

Forgot to say, the single best thing you can buy for one if you decide on a UTV is the S@B particle seperator, I have over 800 miles on mine now and the stock air filter looks brand new. I have not had to clean it yet and let me tell you Barstow turns to baby powder. I am going to put them on my 1600 cars, same type of thing helicopters use to land in dirt fields. Good luck

harleys dad

Thoughts Polaris, Can am, and Artic cat ???

We always do our first pre run lap in UTV to mark the GPS. We have been running the Rzr 2 and 4 seat. Power is not much of a issue since we are taking it easy. What has the best suspension for 30-40 mph on these baja races courses?

Baja 1000 is coming up and is going to be a lot of miles. Leaning for the 4 seater for two people for good storage. Not sure if the 2 seat X3 has enough room for storage or if the 4 seat X3 is to long 135" wheelbase

I know Rzr will have a new adjustable suspension but on its best day will it be better than 24" of travel on the X3? Can any fox or king rzr suspension beat a good fox or king X3 suspension?

Who has had both RZR and X3 and how do they compare?
I am going to quote Wayne from fox, what good does 24 inches of travel do you when you are drilling a hole in the ground at 12!!!

Baja Bryan

I liked the non turbo also. Less heat less parts to break. We put the ims aux tank in the RZR4 and nice kit. put race seats and built rear custom alum boxes. I also run 3 gps and large ipad. Its just the suspension is not all that great. Harleys Dad have you been in a X3 MAX? Their suspension in the RS looks like a class 10 car. We will only run 2 people in a 4 seater.

harleys dad

I liked the non turbo also. Less heat less parts to break. We put the ims aux tank in the RZR4 and nice kit. put race seats and built rear custom alum boxes. I also run 3 gps and large ipad. Its just the suspension is not all that great. Harleys Dad have you been in a X3 MAX? Their suspension in the RS looks like a class 10 car. We will only run 2 people in a 4 seater.
I have not but 1 of my friends has 1 and hits the ground a LOT in the Barstow rough enough where he bent the center and back of the car. He is dealing with insurence right now and has less than 100 miles on it. First time out all he complained about was draging the ground. That was on the night race course in Barstow.. I put H town performance long travel arms shock therapy springs and put foxes off a turbo that Wayne from fox tuned, mine is awsome. I got the entire kit with summers brothers axles plated tig welded arms that make my wheelbase from 117 to about 121 H town and Madigan look very close to the same but a lot cheaper at H town and he was great to deal with
It is tough and swallows holes. When we tuned mine which we ended up changing a couple shims only there were x3s out there that could not keep up in the big stuff. The 4 seat like my friend has in my opinion is so long as to be a cruiser, yes its fast but limited on where it can go fast from my experience. I was going to drive it but it was damaged so he parked it(he was not happy)Pat nice looking car, Cagewrx race cage is great looking on the 2 seater.. Bryon if you already have a xp4 put some foxes off a turbo on it, I pre ran ridgcrest with the stock suspension with the turbo shocks and was really good. The reliability of the xp4 non turbo to me is fantastic

harleys dad

Pat did you put the sway bar on the front of yours? I have the cagewrx swaybar up front and made a big difference. Like the colors on your car

Last edited:

Baja Bryan

I talked to the guy at loan star and they make the kits for both XP4 and X3 max and they said Max is much smoother. And the longer travel does help a lot. One comment is when Canam ships them they have them set super low for liability. But they are easy to lift up. The Canam max race cars run the 135WB and dont have issues except for some tight turns. I wish I could ride in a good tuned XP4 to see how good it can be. I seen a few Max DS for rent anyone seen any of the bigger Max RS for rent?

harleys dad

I talked to the guy at loan star and they make the kits for both XP4 and X3 max and they said Max is much smoother. And the longer travel does help a lot. One comment is when Canam ships them they have them set super low for liability. But they are easy to lift up. The Canam max race cars run the 135WB and dont have issues except for some tight turns. I wish I could ride in a good tuned XP4 to see how good it can be. I seen a few Max DS for rent anyone seen any of the bigger Max RS for rent?
you are welcome to come drive mine next time I go out, if you saw my friends max its pretty bad. The max for sure is not a front running race car even though Can am won Vegas to reno it was not done with the max. What you need to figure is the cost of the max then setting it up, mucho dollars. The suspension for your xp4 with everything minus shocks for racers is 4k that includes all himes axles everything you need. Shocks I paid 1500 for all 4 shocks from a new turbo 17, spring kit from shock therapy was 1100 bucks which turns them into dual rate and custom to your car whith what you have on it.. Money yes but still cheaper than the max alone. I for certain would not trade mine for a can am, the ride is unreal with 4 of us in it and has been reliable gas and go and it goes

Zambo

Yes the x3 comes from the factory with the ride height way too low. Once you crank it up it's tons better but still not great in chop. Revalving the internal bypass setup makes it great.

I get about 12 mpg or so prerunning. With the stock 10.5 gallon tank that's 120 miles. A couple small cans under the seat and you have plenty of range.

One thing about this compared to my prerunner truck is that I never worry about getting stuck. In fact now I just aim the thing right at the steepest, siltiest, nastiest looking line on the course and just go.

Probably the worst thing about prerunning in it as compared to the truck is the highway sections. Much nicer tooling down the road in that steel cab.