What is worse?

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
After pitting for Josh Daniel this weekend and a part of the heartbreak after leading all day to only break 8 miles before the finish, my question is what is more heartbreaking?

Breaking 8 miles from the finish or breaking right off the start? Curious to see if others share my same view.

tapeworm

Reaction
I did 13 miles of the Baja 1000 in 2014. I would have much rather done almost every mile of the 1000 rather than the beginning. It's probably more heart breaking to be that close to the end in the short term, but long term breaking right off the start stings a lot more.

mwr352

Reaction
I would rather break early. 8 miles from the finish you have a truck that needs a full prep and A DNF!!!

dislocated1

Reaction
I have been in both sides of that story..... I had a heartbreaker this year at the Silver State 300 after leading 290 miles I broke a sector shaft on the steering box, and I could see the lights of the finish line through the valley.

I vote for an early exit if need be.... at least you are closer to the ice chest and the cold adult beverages

mike337

Reaction
It's gotta' sting more close to the finish, but after that wears off at least you know you were in the game. I'd rather DNF late.

Wendell #527

Reaction
I made it less than a mile my very first race. I thought that was the worst. Then we broke late in the last lap of the Mint 400 while leading the class by over 10 minutes. That was much worse from a broken heart standpoint.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
I can tell you as a fan, it sucks way worse to see someone charge hard all day - make zero mistakes and when the radio said the #90 had stopped everyone in all the pits around us were disappointed. Josh was on it. clean air makes a difference but he looked great everytime I saw him. I watched him twice at mile 77. and all 3 times at mile 20 - he came through both areas looking amazing.

Robin Hood

Reaction
Breaking early is only better for the wallet....

I might much rather charge hard, run good and break late in the race.

green787

Reaction
After pitting for Josh Daniel this weekend and a part of the heartbreak after leading all day to only break 8 miles before the finish, my question is what is more heartbreaking?

Breaking 8 miles from the finish or breaking right off the start? Curious to see if others share my same view.
You never shared your view, so how will we ever know???

mrmatt

Reaction
I have done both...9 miles from the start and 9 miles from the finish....both suck but at least 9 miles from the start there is minimal prep for the next one and that is what I tell myself to feel better

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MCM MOTORSPORTS

Reaction
Near the finish line is tough. We started last almost dead last at Kempsey after a steering column failed off the start line in the mornings race. Fought through the pack, got up to be leading on corrected times. Then broke a rear trailing arm around 5 miles from the finish. The worst part was sitting on the roof waiting to be recovered we could hear the announcing saying we were in the lead and should be coming into the arena any time now. Definitely sucks to be able to hear the pa at the finish.

This was in Brad Zackas Turbo Cosworth Jimco. The first A arm jimco into Australia. It was an ex julson car that came home 2nd in the 1000.

green787

Reaction
I was waiting for some others to post first.

To me, breaking right before the finish is more heartbreaking. It sucks both ways but I always feel more crushed when it happens towards the finish of a race.
I don't see it as heartbreak.... That's too emotional for me.... I get MAD.... It's metal....It's nothing but an effing POS!!!! Unless I made the mistake,,... then I get mad at myself....and then I try to blame others......
..... Whatever part that broke, you can always put it in a vice on Monday and sacrifice it to racing gods with your sledge hammer..... For me it either works, or it's thrown vigorously in the trash....(psychotic episode).. And as a limited racer, it used to be a matter of who could make repairs on the course.....
In your bracket, you can't even afford a flat tire......
So don't freak out, and redesign the wheel..... Just fix or reinforce the problem and eventually all of those things go away.... next year...... dang, that IS heartbreaking......I'm sorry, I wanted to see you win,....... because you don't have me on ignore.....:cool::cool::cool:

J Prich

Reaction
Haha I knew what this was going to be before I clicked on it! Breaking so close to the end might be more heartbreaking in the short term but in the grand scheme of things itTT90 is dialed and a real threat to win races and it's just a matter of time before all the cards fall right for consistent wins. When you break early you never really get to know what you've got. Josh knows what he's got and what he's got is going to win races.

philofab