What is your opinion of the tracks?

gmmvp42

Reaction
What does everyone think of the shortcourse tracks these days? Does anyone think a supercross style track could work? I’m not saying triple jumps into a corner table top, followed by a straight with 3ft whoops, but something different than the average short course track today. Does anyone see an evolution of the average short course track as far as its design? Could double jumps (not high speed, ones that take timing and kick the vehicle up in the air) and step-up tabletops mixed with slow rough sections bring quality racing/TV? I was watching the LOORS race in AZ and that is what got me thinking. I liked the mogul section, visually it was cool for the fans, not so much for the drivers probably. The jumps on the front straight were cool too, more like mini hills. Now if they could configure a double jump that landed on the back of one of those hills!
The tracks today, some limited by the space available, seem built for as much speed as possible with a few jumps, some 180s, some stutter bumps, and a couple sweepers. The tracks (not MTEG, actually the Coliseum had some rough parts) I remember from the 80’s-90’s seemed rougher, in that there were jumps that had to be hit at low speed and would kick the vehicle up 4ft in the air. I guess it was SCORE now that I think about it, but their tracks would have rough uneven sections followed by high speed double jumps, not to mention a 100+mph 30degree bank. Again space is a problem when its limited, but for the more wide open venues, could double jumps and step-up tabletops mixed with slow rough sections bring quality racing/TV? Translating the race from live in person to TV is tough, everyone knows the difference between being there and watching it from your couch. I am just throwing the idea out there, that maybe a radical track design would put the television shows in a league of their own. I'm curious as to what the drivers would want if they could make it. This just made me think of something that probably deserves its own thread but, what do you guys/gals think of a fellow racer designing the track you race on?

Bridges

Senior Replay
Reaction
still kinda partial I guess...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBmHj034FVA&feature=channel"]YouTube - CORR - ONBOARD WITH WHELCHEL VICTORY CHULA VISTA 9/13/2008[/ame]

:p

prolite#7

Reaction
great video

Pro-Lite Brian

Reaction
What does everyone think of the shortcourse tracks these days? Does anyone think a supercross style track could work? I’m not saying triple jumps into a corner table top, followed by a straight with 3ft whoops, but something different than the average short course track today. Does anyone see an evolution of the average short course track as far as its design?

It would be tough to design a track that can fit all the different classes. Single buggies need to keep momentum up to be fun to watch in person. Pro-2/4 trucks would need different jump spacing than the Pro-lite's and Superbuggies. The MTEG tracks were slower in speed but each obsticle was way more pronounced. They were hitting 55-60mph tops in the Grand National trucks. Those same GN trucks had 16+" of travel.

On a side note, since people always bring up Factory backed teams are what made the show in MTEG, ponder this; one thing that cost alot of teams $$$ was the info leaked out about upcoming track layouts. The teams would have test tracks built that mirrored what they would be racing on . Instead of showing up the day before the event and looking at the track to see if any changes needed to be made to your truck, these teams could unload and drive straight onto the track with the right gearing, and a set-up that was nearly dialed-in! That's what made it hard for a privateer to compete. There was some amazing tracks built on the Arciero's land in Diamond Bar, and in Corona!

Back to the OT, I do wish that the tracks were more about rythm and pace, and less about HP and holding your breath! I think it could be done to make a track that fits the Pro-2's, Pro-Lites, and Pro-buggies, but not in a stadium. The sacrifices made to the track in order to fit a group of Pro-2's in a stadium would make the track less fun to watch, in my opinion.

The question is, would people show up to watch Carl R., Johnny G., Huseman, Mac, Johnson, Kincaid, Hart, Hord, Naughton, Taylor, LeDuc, Brandt, Ampudia, Whelchel, etc... in a Pro-lite style truck racing in a tighter fan friendly stadium?

450grl

Reaction
Personally, the more technical the better. My Rhino and I are right at home on a full-on, technical MX track complete with doubles, step-ups, rythm sections, tables....you name it! I personally loved the mogul section at SW...I liked it better on Saturday, before they knocked it down. Its fun to have sections of the track that test your nerves and suspension, as well as your high speed cornering abilities. I think they could make the current short course tracks a little more technical (yeah, throw in a nice big double or step-up or two!) without sacrificing the high-speed properties that the high HP trucks need. If the limited suspension classes can't handle a section, give them another lane to opt out on. Split lanes are a blast, anyway....I would love to see that incorporated as well - choose between a row of moguls or a nice double-double section, etc......the fans always like that type of thing.

CMI CHUCK

Reaction
My opinon is that the tracks need to be rougher! The moguls at Speedworld were a step in the right direction. I just wish they were BIGGER!

CMI CHUCK

Reaction
The question is, would people show up to watch Carl R., Johnny G., Huseman, Mac, Johnson, Kincaid, Hart, Hord, Naughton, Taylor, LeDuc, Brandt, Ampudia, Whelchel, etc... in a Pro-lite style truck racing in a tighter fan friendly stadium?

Yes! Lucas needs to start a Stadium series!

Race Format as follows:
Pro lite/ Grand National trucks
Super Buggy
Rhinos
Quads
Modified Karts
Maybe one more class

offroadracer516

Reaction
Table top?
Doubles?
it can and has ben done
there were HUGE jumps at willow springs back in the day.
would be cool to see something new for a change..

Attachments

• 551.jpg
    551.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 120
  • photo42.jpg
    photo42.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 124

ProLite13

Reaction
It would be tough to design a track that can fit all the different classes. Single buggies need to keep momentum up to be fun to watch in person. Pro-2/4 trucks would need different jump spacing than the Pro-lite's and Superbuggies. The MTEG tracks were slower in speed but each obsticle was way more pronounced. They were hitting 55-60mph tops in the Grand National trucks. Those same GN trucks had 16+" of travel.

On a side note, since people always bring up Factory backed teams are what made the show in MTEG, ponder this; one thing that cost alot of teams $$$ was the info leaked out about upcoming track layouts. The teams would have test tracks built that mirrored what they would be racing on . Instead of showing up the day before the event and looking at the track to see if any changes needed to be made to your truck, these teams could unload and drive straight onto the track with the right gearing, and a set-up that was nearly dialed-in! That's what made it hard for a privateer to compete. There was some amazing tracks built on the Arciero's land in Diamond Bar, and in Corona!

Back to the OT, I do wish that the tracks were more about rythm and pace, and less about HP and holding your breath! I think it could be done to make a track that fits the Pro-2's, Pro-Lites, and Pro-buggies, but not in a stadium. The sacrifices made to the track in order to fit a group of Pro-2's in a stadium would make the track less fun to watch, in my opinion.

Brian I would love to sit down with you sometime and pick your brain you seem to be an offroad encyclopedia.

If anyone want's to see one of last standing Ford factory built Grand National truck's we will have one out at the SXS, DirtAlliance nationals on Fri 06-19-Sat 06-20. These truck's were trully amazing in the technology department. Water Cooled air shock's, cantilever suspesion, and on and on. Please come by and see us at the DirtAlliance SXS nationals we love to talk about this truck it's a work of art.

As for the track design's I personally like the tight technical stuff better it takes skill to drive these type of track's the tighter and more technical stuff will seperate the Men from the Boy's. Let's put a little finesse into these track's and showcase the driver's skills not their motor's. Hell who's getting support in the form of motor's anyway?

My background is 90% BMX where there is no room for error, the more technical true rythum section's the better IMO.

Oh and the holeshot for starting. Lucas Landrush!!!:)

And to answer your Question about people showing up to watch Mickey Thompson style stadium racing, 60K people were packing those seats back in 1994.:D

Robby Woods

Reaction
I would love to see more technical difficult tracks! It would give moto guys like myself an advantage to excerise timing and judgement. I killed everyone in the whoops at speedworld when they took technique but then they got knocked down and it was a wide open hold it to the floor section.If anyone wants to come run a supercross track for trucks and buggies e-mail me my track is dangerous! It has full blown make or break doubles etc etc...

07FJRog

Reaction
Brian I would love to sit down with you sometime and pick your brain you seem to be an offroad encyclopedia.

If anyone want's to see one of last standing Ford factory built Grand National truck's we will have one out at the SXS, DirtAlliance nationals on Fri 06-19-Sat 06-20. These truck's were trully amazing in the technology department. Water Cooled air shock's, cantilever suspesion, and on and on. Please come by and see us at the DirtAlliance SXS nationals we love to talk about this truck it's a work of art.

As for the track design's I personally like the tight technical stuff better it takes skill to drive these type of track's the tighter and more technical stuff will seperate the Men from the Boy's. Let's put a little finesse into these track's and showcase the driver's skills not their motor's. Hell who's getting support in the form of motor's anyway?

My background is 90% BMX where there is no room for error, the more technical true rythum section's the better IMO.

Oh and the holeshot for starting. Lucas Landrush!!!:)

And to answer your Question about people showing up to watch Mickey Thompson style stadium racing, 60K people were packing those seats back in 1994.:D

seems a small bit of conflict, landrush start and "not their Motors" HP lol

I like the more tech tracks too, like you say it takes the highest HP game away some. also, like you said for the Driver to shine, let's qualify on those tight tracks, and line them up SxS for the start.

I like Chuck's group of vehicles for a series. It would also seem that a track could be setup easier to accommodate this group with jumps, banked turns and stuff, so some of us are not flat landing all over the track. UTV's and Trophy Karts can really Air it out if we can have landings on the downhill. :) I would think the single buggies might like that also.

just my little .02

BF_702

Reaction
If the limited suspension classes can't handle a section, give them another lane to opt out on. Split lanes are a blast, anyway....I would love to see that incorporated as well - choose between a row of moguls or a nice double-double section, etc......the fans always like that type of thing.

I would love to hear more input on the split lane Idea. If the weather holds out, we plan on doing a split lane at Bark River near the Cemetery turn. We are 2 weeks behind because of all the rain. I hope to post some progress pic's soon.

gmmvp42

Reaction
"there were HUGE jumps at willow springs back in the day.
would be cool to see something new for a change"

The end of the landrush at Willow Springs was gnarly, the moguls definitely sent the bajas and some of the sedans on their lids. Riverside in the latter years split the ridge into two parts and in between were a set of like 4-5 3ft jumps that sent the car straight up and down for a harsh landing. They also did it coming off the pavement from the finish line, Danny Thompson destroyed his truck going for it one practice. There was a double coming out of the switch backs that Jack Flannery launched off of and one of the Arcieros got caught in mid air with another class10 (superbuggy) and both barreled a couple times. The back straight at the Coliseum one year had cool whoops that sent the trucks in all kinds of directions, right before the sweeper heading to the finish line. These are the things I remember the most about the tracks because they caused great action and of course some crazy crashes...

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
If anyone wants to come run a supercross track for trucks and buggies e-mail me my track is dangerous! It has full blown make or break doubles etc etc...

nice!!.... we're about the same size... have the truck ready, ill be over this weekend :D

dnf736

Reaction
...If anyone wants to come run a supercross track for trucks and buggies e-mail me my track is dangerous! It has full blown make or break doubles etc etc...

Like this one?? ;)

Edit, doesnt want to embed, click on Ride Day link at top of player.:(

[ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=58670560"]Ride Day on June 20, 2009 Video by Number 7 - MySpace Video[/ame]

ProLite13

Reaction
I would love to see more technical difficult tracks! If anyone wants to come run a supercross track for trucks and buggies e-mail me my track is dangerous! It has full blown make or break doubles etc etc...

Thank's for the invite, check your private messages.:cool:

DP13

baja619

Reaction
I would love to see more technical difficult tracks! It would give moto guys like myself an advantage to excerise timing and judgement. I killed everyone in the whoops at speedworld when they took technique but then they got knocked down and it was a wide open hold it to the floor section.If anyone wants to come run a supercross track for trucks and buggies e-mail me my track is dangerous! It has full blown make or break doubles etc etc...

Robby, if you care to share, can you post some detailed pics of your track?

Hope you do well at Lake Elsinore.

LukeHuff

Reaction
lets take it back to the L.A coliseum!!! Also i think more supercross style track layouts would be cool, more tight turns = more lines = more passing = more fun to watch. Also i remember a race at Laguna Seca that my dad raced a couple years back. It was pro trucks on a 1/2 dirt 1/2 pavement course. Made for something different for the drivers and the fans!