What kind of shocks?

South Tx Racer

I am completely new to desert racing. I have a truck that myself and a friend want to run in the stock full/8100 class in BITD and SCORE. We have the know how of building stuff (engines, welding, ect) but are clueless as to what kind of shocks to use. The truck is a 2000 Chevy 3500. I have never built a truck for racing and dont know what size, brand, length or type of shock to buy. Our goal is the baja 1000 but we are going to start with some short races to get our feet wet and learn a few years before we jump into that. Any and all help would be appreciated as far as stock class info as well as the shocks.

Jerry Zaiden

First off I would not start with a 2000 Chevy 3500 for the stock full class. I would look in the classifieds and find a good used truck already built. But make sure it has FOX Racing Shox :)

Jerry's right, no matter how much you pour into a bad platorm, you will not attain the desired results.

And you can almost guarantee that any homebuild will end up costing more than buying a used race vehicle in terms of time, effort and money.

And Full Stock can be a very expensive class in which to compete, when one considers how many stock parts must be replaced after each and every event, if not during.

If you really want to race, join an existing team first to learn the ropes.

It's the wisest "investment" one can make as an off road racer.

Go take a look at some full-stock buildups before you do anything else.

There's a lot of work to be done, with a commensurate big budget.

texasag02

All great advice. Come out to the TDRA event in Notrees, TX in April and I am sure any of the racing teams would give you an insight into their vehicles. Welcome to desert racing!

loufish

I would recommend heading to some races and see what others are doing, what equipment is being run and when the time is right (not during the heat of the actual race) talk to a few guys running the class you are thinking about running...

Avoid the trap others seem to fall into when getting into the sport..."I know others are telling me my truck isn't the best to be building up, but this is what I have and I can't afford to buy another truck".......If that's the case I can safely say you don't have enough budget to race....

El Mamito USMC

like they said , go to some races and see whats up and what would be the best platform to start with. and if budget is an issue Radflo shocks are good and the less expensive of the high end shocks..

JDDurfey

I am in the very beginning stages of building a Jeepspeed racer. Looks like a to of fun, way more enjoyable than "stock" and not real expensive. I also have the Jeep already so that helps.

South Tx Racer

Thank yall very much for the advice. I will be sure to heed it. I wasnt really sure if other racers were ok with competition(someday) looking into their vehicles. Thanks again.

mikerd400

I would spend at least a season, if not a couple of seasons of going around with an experienced race team. One that finishes races. Work in the pits with the team, and prerun the courses with them. You will see what works and what doesn't. You will get the chance to see alot of differnent race vehicles.

TexasBaja

You are not to far from our race shop in San Antonio. We are there all day on Saturdays so come on up and check out some Class 5's and class 10's we are building and we can talk about Dezert Racing.

amrein1743

I race a Ford F250 in stock full. Like others said stock parts can get expensive and starting with the right platform is key. Most build Ford's in the stock full class for the Ford money (in BITD anyway), but there are a couple Chevy's. Come out to Parker and check out Pat Moore's stock full Chevy. I believe it is a mid 90's Chevy and it might be a 3/4 ton. It's a well-built truck.

South Tx Racer

I have no problem getting a different vehicle. Its just a company vehicle that I replaced with a new diesel truck about a month ago. Thats why I was going to use it. But like I said I am new to the sport and I have been told on this site and another not to use that truck so Im not. Now to find the right truck.........lol. And I will be sure to go up there one saturday.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
I have no problem getting a different vehicle. Its just a company vehicle that I replaced with a new diesel truck about a month ago. Thats why I was going to use it. But like I said I am new to the sport and I have been told on this site and another not to use that truck so Im not. Now to find the right truck.........lol. And I will be sure to go up there one saturday.
Old ford, 1" kingpin beams, big block, C6 trans, 9in rear end.