what plasma cutters to buy?

singlehanded

Reaction
I am thinking about getting a plasma cutter but not really sure which one will be good for all my needs. Dont want anything that will not do it all for me. Thers a lot of millers on ebay, is there a better place to get a good one at a good price? What do most fab shops use? I have a lincoln power 200 mig so I would like an equivelent machine.

Brice

Reaction
we have an esab and it kicks ass. goes thru tips like a mofo tho

singlehanded

Reaction
What model, how many amps how thick will it cut. Where did you get it and hoe much thanks......

Kbach66

Reaction
Somebody in here turned me towards cyberweld.com and I have nothing but good things to say. I checked around a lot for price (I'm a cheap ass!!) and they were the best on price, plus no tax and free shipping at the time. They have all new current product, not refurbished or anything. I asked my local welding shop if he could match/beat the price and he told me to buy it from them...there was no way he could get close to the price, and he knows I will always go there for consumables.

Anyways....might want to look into them.

MH20

Reaction
I agree I bought my miller 175 from cyberweld and they were the best deal by far, plus you cant beat the free shipping and no sales tax.

singlehanded

Reaction
thanks, is one that will cut a half inch sound about right for my home shop, I like to get stuff a little bigger just to never have to worry that it wont cut what I need. the miller on ebay was like 1300 bucks that cut half inch new no shipping and no tax. but I 'll check that sight.

motoxscott

Reaction
I looked into this a while ago too. I ended up going with a more expensive machine than originally planned so I only have to make this type of purchase once.

I was either gonna go with a Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics. I went with the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 75. It's rated to cut 7/8" - 1-1/4". I haven't really used it much yet, but the times I have used it I have been happy with the results and the machine.

singlehanded

Reaction
Where did you get it at and how much. Its gonna be run at home but I have a 230v plug for my welder. Why did you decide you needed to be able to cut one inch,what for? I was thinking that 1/2 inch would be cool for anything I needed........

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Thermal Dynamics is one of the best. I have nothing but good to say for the ESAB 875. It is also rated at 7/8" cut and 1-1/4" sever. Some (like ESAB) use inverter technology which takes much less power and allows the same unit to operate on single or three phase power. The rating of any unit is usually the limit that it can go. A rating of 1/2" may leave you frustrated quite often. The ESAB 875 can be found for around $1800. ebay can be a good place to find prices and dealers. A secret the government does not know about (lol); shipping is often less than tax.

singlehanded

Reaction
There is an esab 875 on ebay used in great shape. How do I know if it will work from my 230 plug, it says something about 460v 3 stage. it seems to be a great deal. Let me know what you think??

jwfab1

Reaction
It sounds like it is 3 phase. Not going to work in your house. 230v single phase is what you have. 3 phase is for commercial use.

Jason

Reaction
If you dont have 3 phase, look into 3 pahse rotary converters (can be found on ebay).

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Use caution here as some are 3 phase only which would be useless at home. Try to get the model number and visit their web site. Or at least ask the seller. Using a phase convertor for any welding or cutting machine is not recommended. All phase converters waste electricity, so by the time its converted there often is not enough left for this kind of work.

BradM

Reaction
I have a thermal dynamics and it is a great machine. It was aquired as part of a trade deal with a local welding supply shop. They had it in inventory for several years, lost the manual and couldn't make it work. It was about a $3000 machine (about 1990) and I think I got it for about $300 worth of work. I called TD and within 5 minutes on the phone it worked perfectly. It seems that they left the electrode out of the gun on assembly. It is an old one, rated to 1/2" with modular ability up to 2". I have never used it for anything over 3/8 but it works like a champ and is not too bad on tips.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
I recently got a Thermal Dynamics Pakmaster 75 xl plus,and so far (2-3 months) its been great.Nice to have an inverter style machine much smaller than our old miller spectrum 701.

singlehanded

Reaction
Ya, I went down to the local welding shop and talked to the guy and got some brochures. I think I will go with either a miller 625 or a hypertherm 600. Both are pretty much the same cutting wise rated-1/2.........quality-5/8.............severe-7/8. but are around $1800 each, so I WILL SEARCH THE INTERNET FOR THE BEST DEAL.