What racers think about the Baja 1000 RS1 ironman challenge?

FourLow

RDC Crypto
how does one keep from getting bored / complacent... I feel like a play list is required, personally speaking i think i would be talking to my self like after mile 45.. 😂

I tried to FaceTime my codog who didn’t show up out around RM175 during the Hawthorn 250 earlier this year lol

Attachments

• 65CBB685-AF1A-4F9D-95EE-E64B56120AC7.jpeg
    65CBB685-AF1A-4F9D-95EE-E64B56120AC7.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 0

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
hmmm, interesting question, what Do racers think of when in a long stint, me?, i cant remember, but when im not racing, i think most of the time about 'How the fudge can i fanagle just one more race'????

FourLow

RDC Crypto
That’s awesome! It would be rad to go on Facebook live or something when going through a little town that might have better cell service.

I've live streamed before on a couple of the smaller races around town. A few of the Ultra4 guys stream in-car as well. I could totally see someone adding cell service checks to pre-run notes if they really wanted to stream it.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
As someone who has raced a bike for half of the 1000 before, the advise I would give you is this:

Break the race down into segments mentally. For me, I always broke it down in pit sections. I would pre-run and "compartmentalize" each section between pits. That seemed to help me remember what the course was like, and then on race day I raced from pit to pit mentally. I didn't worry about how much farther I had to go till I got off the bike, or what the course was like after the next pit. I just focused and raced the section I was on. When I left the next pit I focused on the next section. And so on...

Also, if you know there is a highway section coming up, you know you will get a break mentally and physically. So I would push hard heading into the highway knowing I would get a little break. However, you don't want to relax too much mentally, because when you need to be sharp again it can be hard to get the focus back. Also hydrating while on the highway is extremely important.

I believe that attempting to focus and push for the whole race would be nearly impossible, but if managed properly, you can push when necessary and relax when the terrain allows it.

A friend of mine Ironmanned the 50th on a bike. He had a nurse there in the pit waiting for him and she gave him an IV while he took a 2 hour nap before continuing. That might be something to think about.

FourLow

RDC Crypto
hmmm, interesting question, what Do racers think of when in a long stint, me?, i cant remember, but when im not racing, i think most of the time about 'How the fudge can i fanagle just one more race'????

"Has the steering always been loose, or am I imagining things?"

On lap races I reallllly focused on course memorization each lap so I didn't have to look over at the lowrance on the passenger bar.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
i would Definitely take a couple of timed breaks/ napps, no way to go full tilt that long, unless your you know who...^ps on lapp races, , Parker first lap was learn course, then 2nd lap i knew All the neet spots to let Curt LeDuc pass me ,,,, safely

FourLow

RDC Crypto
Also, if you know there is a highway section coming up, you know you will get a break mentally and physically. So I would push hard heading into the highway knowing I would get a little break. However, you don't want to relax too much mentally, because when you need to be sharp again it can be hard to get the focus back. Also hydrating while on the highway is extremely important.

I think this is huge, especially in an RS1. Open the visor, shake the arms and neck out, maaaaaaybe loosen the harnesses for a minute if it's long enough and shift in the seat. A little loosen and shift can make you feel like you just got out and back in after sitting for so long.

RacingTraX

RDC Crypto
Website
racingtrax.com
As someone who has raced a bike for half of the 1000 before, the advise I would give you is this:

Break the race down into segments mentally. For me, I always broke it down in pit sections. I would pre-run and "compartmentalize" each section between pits. That seemed to help me remember what the course was like, and then on race day I raced from pit to pit mentally. I didn't worry about how much farther I had to go till I got off the bike, or what the course was like after the next pit. I just focused and raced the section I was on. When I left the next pit I focused on the next section. And so on...

I believe that attempting to focus and push for the whole race would be nearly impossible, but if managed properly, you can push when necessary and relax when the terrain allows it.

A friend of mine Ironmanned the 50th on a bike. He had a nurse there in the pit waiting for him and she gave him an IV while he took a 2 hour nap before continuing. That might be something to think about.
Solid advice!! Thank you!

AZ7000'

RDC Crypto
Probably too early in the race but if it goes sf side I’ll give anyone a liter of saline or lactated ringers for free, if they want to stop for 20-30 min…

Near percibu, I’ll meet you the proper pit distance off the track, Sure as hell not in a tent!

Last edited:

RacingTraX

RDC Crypto
Website
racingtrax.com
Probably too early in the race but if it goes sf side I’ll give anyone a liter of saline or lactated ringers for free, if they want to stop for 20-30 min…

Near percibu, I’ll meet you the proper pit distance off the track, Sure as hell not in a tent!
I think a bag of juice and a 20 minute nap would be good around the half way point. Rumor has it the course is not going through San Felipe.

harleys dad

RDC Crypto
I have soloed a class 11 all the way to lapaz, rs1 is like cheating also have done it in a 51600. Whats funny is a whole lot of racers went the distance in the 70s and 80s now its a big thing???

RacingTraX

RDC Crypto
Website
racingtrax.com
I have soloed a class 11 all the way to lapaz, rs1 is like cheating also have done it in a 51600. Whats funny is a whole lot of racers went the distance in the 70s and 80s now its a big thing???
Two things can be true at once- It was hard then and only a few people ever did it and it's hard now and only a few people do it. That's all. One might even argue that the courses are a lot more torn up now than back in the 70's and 80's. My dad used to race a Toyota Celica in class 3000 in the 80's, I doubt that car would do well today. All in all, I'm just a wanna-be that has been admiring guys like you who have done the whole thing solo, the idea has always been very intriguing so now I'm going to do it.
And as far as cheating goes... go drive an 83" wheelbase RS1 through the desert and then get back to me on that one 😉

harleys dad

RDC Crypto
Two things can be true at once- It was hard then and only a few people ever did it and it's hard now and only a few people do it. That's all. One might even argue that the courses are a lot more torn up now than back in the 70's and 80's. My dad used to race a Toyota Celica in class 3000 in the 80's, I doubt that car would do well today. All in all, I'm just a wanna-be that has been admiring guys like you who have done the whole thing solo, the idea has always been very intriguing so now I'm going to do it.
And as far as cheating goes... go drive an 83" wheelbase RS1 through the desert and then get back to me on that one 😉
i wish you the best, it was different in the 70s as a whole lot did the distance. i will be watching you

51rcr

RDC Crypto
i think its the most reasonable affordable way to get down it. Some will finish, i hope a majority do.