What rearend ratio?

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
I'm getting ready to swap out my 4.0 & 5-speed(97 ranger) for a 5.0 from an explorer and have a C-4 built for it.I was running 4.71's in my 9" w/35's and it was great--I'm obviously losing O.D. but I still want some sort of freeway speeds without revving the hell out of the motor, which will remain stock.What's a good ratio? What about converter stall? What about an overdrive unit?

ntsqd

Reaction
Start with what's the engine's intended cruise RPM is and what MPH you intend to cruise at. Cruising at or just under peak torque is most idea as peak torque is where your BSFC will be the lowest.
Then you can find the ratio that does what you need, hopefully. An OD will offer better OR perf b/c it will allow a higher numeric ratio.

tedmales

Reaction
we had a gear vendor overdrive in one of our trucks, it never saw much off road use, but it never once gave us any trouble. but they are kinda spendy.

singlehanded

Reaction
I got 456s in my ranger 33 and a built c4. It is a little rough on the freeway but its not my daily driver. Usually reving between 3500 and 4200 where the computer cuts off the top speed at ? miles per hour. probably going between 70(3500) and 90(4200) I would guess. Oh ya its on 4.0 also.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
not to hi jack your thread but you can cut the wire that trips the top gear speed limiter on your ranger. Then you can run it to 4500 or where the motor just goes flat!