• Forum membership has its advantages....

What size circuit breaker?

D. Freeman

I have been popping a 30A breaker for my radiator fans, was usings Klixon 7271-8-30. After looking up the Spal part # va33-ap71/LL-65a I have learned each fan has a 22 Amp draw. I am having a tough time finding a comparable 45 or 50A breaker. Any help sourcing one would be greatly appreciated. What size breaker is recommended or most commonly used on big double rad fan setups? Thanks in advance.

mgobaja

What about using individual switches and breakers, so if one fails you don't loose both ?

D. Freeman

ProFormance you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you, pulling panel tonight and re-configuring per your recommendations.

_

Thank you for the kind words...

In case my PM was not clear, my recommendations are "per fan." Meaning, you will need twice the number of components I mentioned in my PM. (1-set per fan.)

Thanks and good luck...!!!

isdtbower

Does it make sense that the relay is on the negative/grounding side of the fan? So if the fan fails or does not get power that the indicator light goes out or will not light. Is there recent thinking on this?

Kyle D

Caterpillar used a ground fail system like your speaking of for years. If there's a problem, the dummy light illuminated to alert the ass in the seat. So yes, a ground interrupt warning system has been used with success. If that's what your question was.

shrive81

So we can all learn from this... Were you using 1 30 amp breaker for both fans or using 1 30 amp breaker for each fan.. Most fans will have a high load when initial start up and or when faced with silt or mud build up. I usually will put a 30amp Klixon 7271-8-30 on each fan to protect each one individually and run the appropriate size wire for the circuit taking into account positive and negative leg length ( thanks to ProFORMANCE for the negative side advice )

dzrt performance

sharing multiple device on one breaker is always foolish. Lets say one fan fails.....you kill both when the breaker pops. in some instances it is "OK" for non critical devices.....just think about what else fails when the circuit goes down.