What spare parts?

volks 73

The Norra 1000 will be our 1st. race. This is the start of our parts list. Tires 3 front 4 rear , 1 alternator ,1 starter , axles w/cv's, belts , filters , fluids, extra nuts and bolts, hoses , master cylinder , throttle cable. Im sure the list will grow. What does your list look like?

Race Whore

A spare gps. We ran the last two years. Last year ours got jacked up and I ran a half day without. Unless you remember the course from the year before...

Rory

Crayola Killer
Does not matter what spares you have, it will always be something you DON'T have......

GDRBORETIRED

Unless you have an exact duplicate car you most likely not have the spare part you need. I have seen a broken steering wheel, a shift lever snapped and a broken universal in the steering shaft. Who carries those spares? Not the folks with the breakage. Only the universal was fixed, with wire from a barbwire fence! You just take what you can and scrounge the rest!

dirtslinger

Funny, I have all the pit boxes for the Rasta Baja, each box has a shifter in it, steering u joints, one box has a steering wheel in it, and theres even a spare steering shaft.

GDRBORETIRED

I guess we know who else had those problems! I have only been at one race where the Rasta Baja raced. It was a finisher, I think it even placed but I don't recall what place. Sure wish you could bring it down for the NORRA 1000!

CZLou

Looks like it will be a guessing game on what parts to bring. May the Force be with us. LOL! The car volks73 and i have is a Chenowth DR2 with a 4age motor. Looking forward to this E ticket ride.

enesset

I'm surprised no one mentioned having a bunch of extra cash either strapped to the rig or in the drivers pocket so you can hit a pemex solo if you get separated from your chase vehicle if/when they break down.

CZLou

That is a Great post " Cold Hard cash goes a long way when you are between a rock and a hard spot " Great advice for all of us.

biffgnar

I'm surprised no one mentioned having a bunch of extra cash either strapped to the rig or in the drivers pocket so you can hit a pemex solo if you get separated from your chase vehicle if/when they break down.
Absolutely, although its Pemex for gas and whatever random local guys can be found in any town for repairs.

LantanaTX

At the last NORRA 1000 we didn't use a radio so when the chase truck broke down in the middle of nowhere, Bud Feldkamp got out and started hitch hiking so we could catch up with his son in the race car and give him some cash. Buddy had to do his own pit stops that day. We have been there enough to know where the best local welders, tire shops and parts stores are at. In addition to the parts listed above we are also bringing some "get you home" parts such as an old trans and engine. Not race ready but could be used in pinch to keep on going. Think about your chase truck too. Last year we never had to turn a wrench on the race car but did have problems with the chase truck and the trailer (thanks to the road to Coco's). We had to by some leaf springs in Bay of LA for the trailer and if we had a spare alternator for truck, Bud would not have spent the day one hitch hiking while we went to Calexico for parts.

retroblazer

I would add one part to the parts list that has caused me a headache or two in the past. Flexible brake lines. I have had flat tires rip off my front lines connecting the brake caliper to the hard line.

Marty Fiolka

At the last NORRA 1000 we didn't use a radio so when the chase truck broke down in the middle of nowhere, Bud Feldkamp got out and started hitch hiking so we could catch up with his son in the race car and give him some cash. Buddy had to do his own pit stops that day. We have been there enough to know where the best local welders, tire shops and parts stores are at. In addition to the parts listed above we are also bringing some "get you home" parts such as an old trans and engine. Not race ready but could be used in pinch to keep on going. Think about your chase truck too. Last year we never had to turn a wrench on the race car but did have problems with the chase truck and the trailer (thanks to the road to Coco's). We had to by some leaf springs in Bay of LA for the trailer and if we had a spare alternator for truck, Bud would not have spent the day one hitch hiking while we went to Calexico for parts.
In truth, having the Mexican 1000 start in Mexicali forced many teams to send their chase truck(s) and trailers around through Ensenada to avoid this kind of damage. This is one reason that starting in Ensenada will work out so well for our competitors in 2014. Keeps everyone together and is much easier to chase....

biffgnar

In truth, having the Mexican 1000 start in Mexicali forced many teams to send their chase truck(s) and trailers around through Ensenada to avoid this kind of damage.
Or have their chase truck end up hours behind them as it tried to navigate the puertocitos rd in the dark with a trailer. At one point Ultra4 home office called our chase truck on the IRC because they thought he wasn't moving and they were worried. Nope he was just going so slow that it looked on IRC like he wasn't moving.