What to look for when buying a class 5

treypal

I am looking at buying a class 5 for racing in the new Texas races. We are headed to Cali in November for the 1000, so we hope to find a car by then, so we can haul it back to Texas with us. I have found a few class 5s on here that look like good deals, but I am new to this so I am not 100% sure what I am looking at.

Any suggestion for things that I should make sure the car has/doesn't have?

Thanks for your help.

MikeLeung

What to look for when buying a Class 5...hum...a removable body so it can be converted to a Score Lite.

treypal

I think everyone in Texas is running 5 unlimited, but there isnt anything too crazy there. The one I am really interested in is a 5 unlimited.

Rory

Crayola Killer
I'd say a good history on the car. What kind of Chassis? Transmission (091, 002, Mendeola, Fortin) and is it fresh? Motor, who built it, when was the last time it was gone through? Fodrill front trailing arms? King Combo's? Rear Hubs (stubs, Micro stubs, midboard CV's, outboard CV's)? Front hubs (CNC, ProAM, stock)? Fuel cell? Wheel base, very important....I believe class 5 is limited to 105" or less, beyond that it is illegal. Spares? Radio? GPS? Intercom? General craftsmanship of the vehicle. Thats what i would look for. If it's a good chassis and you can get it pretty cheap, everything else can be bought.....but can be VERY expensive. My .02.

PRECEPTS

Couple of things I would look for; 1) Check for bump steer! There are several cars out there that have a real problem with this. 2) Is it SCORE tagged and legal? That is important if ever want to race SCORE and for resale. 3) I know this going to be an agrument here but I would stay away from a busbox transmission. 4) Look for a car with coil carriers and bypass' on all fours, stay away from torsion bars.
The best car out there for sale right now is Jim Varshays' car, it won't be cheap but at least you will get a proven car. My 2 cents worth, I will bill you.

5racer

wonders why crumco hasent chimed in yet hmmm. i will have mine for sale but it will be awhile as im in the middel of new arms and shock towers ,motor and transmission.drew dont you still have you roller for sale hell that a good deal for someone .

PRECEPTS

wonders why crumco hasent chimed in yet hmmm. i will have mine for sale but it will be awhile as im in the middel of new arms and shock towers ,motor and transmission.drew dont you still have you roller for sale hell that a good deal for someone .
Our roller is spoken for, in fact it should be at the Next MORE race.

steve0we

mine might be for sale if I dont get some photos to 5Racer....... J/K

Im glad your looking for a car. Just make sure its slower than mine......

Let us know if you need anything. Get with 5Racer, he see what he can do for you. He is a great guy to deal with.

M.Harvey1600

wonders why crumco hasent chimed in yet hmmm.
Rick hasnt been on since july 26... i hope he has been to busy building cars... he will be starting my s/s 1600 chassis around sept 20th... cant wait....

and everything that Rory posted along with drew is what is the most important things to look for... and Jim Vershays 5 car is by far the best car available right now...:D

Rory

Crayola Killer
Mikey's is still for sale........ That good enough history?
Mikes car would be PERFECT. Do you know what he wants for it? Heard it was pretty expensive last time I checked.

M.Harvey1600

Mikes car would be PERFECT. Do you know what he wants for it? Heard it was pretty expensive last time I checked.
mike who???

M.Harvey1600

JRV 511

Yep !!! my car is for sale ( at least thats the excuse im using for missing the last race)I was thinking of putting a deal together to go race the 1000 , unless it goes down the road first , want to go trade paint with drew, mike, and dave ,didnt get to race with them much at the MORE 500 . if you need any info,pics, or help pm me.
Jim Varshay