What to look out for when deciding a fabricator (suspension)

Fifty

Reaction
Not counting that I would make a less than desirable front system if I were to do it myself, I am not currently in the physical shape to do it.

I am therefore trying to find/decide on a shop to design and build a 4wd long travel front set up. (Colorado/canyon)

I have spoken with JD fabrication lightly about the project, and kibbetech is in the final stages of building a system for a customer with the same truck.

Pricing is just about the same between the two. I am going to try to drive by both if I can in two weeks. I live 450 miles away from them, so it’s a bit of a trek.

What sort of things should I be considering between the two? Both come “recommended” by folks I don’t really know.

The only negative I have heard has nothing to do with ability, and only attitude.

I don’t have enough time to care about “hurt feelings” and “cocky or confident” uncertainty by someone else.

I want to drive fast, with trucks that are faster and are running much more travel and have much more skilled drivers. ;)

Long story short, what should I be looking for other than flipping a coin?

Reaction
References, a responsible "vibe," no excuses, timely and professional manner.

Good luck, and remember: "Speed, Price, Quality; Choose Two."

isdtbower

Reaction
Driver/owner maintenance references would help. Fabricator experience with IFS 4x4 will go a long way. Videos other than straight whooped sections or silt beds. The 4wd will be most helpful in turns so you want to see what it is doing in those turns, and accelerating out. Know and visualize camber and caster gain with body roll. Weldiing bling might not be as important as a good heat treat. Center section choices and flange to flange distance. CV size and amount of turning desired. Steering choices..................etc.....Budget. $40k might be a minimum today not including steering power or Xfer case, etc. $100k might be easy also. On average, crank to wheel loss is about 30%, but 4x4 seems to be worth it.

blue dog

Reaction
Don't let this distract you from the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon.

Fifty

Reaction
Isdtbower reminded me quite a bit about camber geometry with hi levels of travel. My wind has a hard time getting. Away from the 4 inch movement of race cars.
Problems multiply exponentially when you get into 16-20 inches of travel. Chassis roll over and positive camber on the outside wheel for example.

Upper control arm chassis pivot points being flat (easy way) vs having them at an angle (geometry designed in for a specific handling characteristic) and a sign of someone who knows what they are doing.

These are things that I just considered a given and realize it’s not. And also reminded that the best laid plans of mice and men on cad don’t always translate perfect to real life. So a cad designed system isn’t absolute.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
References Refrences References
How well organised is the shop? Is it clean? Is the staff the kind of people your banker would let in thier office? Is the place covered in cigarette butts & keystone beer cans? Better yet how many glass pipes are laying around with dark burned substances inside them?

Use your gut feeling

Fifty

Reaction
Make sure the references are of the same state of kind as you.
And have the same idea of what a $100 means

jon coleman

Reaction
References Refrences References
How well organised is the shop? Is it clean? Is the staff the kind of people your banker would let in thier office? Is the place covered in cigarette butts & keystone beer cans? Better yet how many glass pipes are laying around with dark burned substances inside them?

Use your gut feeling
i only patronize shops with old pickup trucks( custom chevy short bed pre runners)are in the back Full of empty silver bullets, ( you know who you are;))