what to use as a gps for the 1000

Is lead-nav the go to for planning and finding access to the race coarse from the highway thru Baja while at home and in baja or what other options work best?

swiftracing5

Leadnav all the way, look on Murdocknav for the chase files from BFG from the last loop 1000 and import them over. That way you will have all the access roads marked in advance because it is pretty hard to find legit chase roads just off of satellite imagery.

MotionX is also a simpler option, same deal, download the chase pack from Murdock and you can change the colors of the roads.

If you can't find the chase files just DM me and I will send you mine.

51rcr

Home google earth.
Lowrance and a tablet with Maps.me app on a tablet in the racer. its the most simple. Also ran Sky Pro blue tooth gps antenna by Dual in the racer. Used tablets with gps chips in the chase rigs. We also had the course loaded in lednave, Mob armor, backcountry tracker apps also on tablets and phones. Maps.me was the favorite.
The others especially lead nave takes way more hard drive if you want to save all the detail like google earth.
also heard it lags. We just went with the simple race and chase routes on them all. regular window mount tomtom gps for driver to help see intersections of main roads ahead at night and to glance where there at easy. We just used sticky Velcro right to passenger side dash and back of tablets for gps and Romtrax email.

swiftracing5

Care to share why? What does lead Nav offer in terms planning and finding access to the race course from the highway, that cant be found in a multitude of other navigation apps?
Every level of off roader will have different needs, I think age and willingness to learn a new system is the most important especially if you grew up just uploading a map to lowrance and using it has a guide.

For me, I can download the map into leadnav and within an hour or 2 I can have previous race's notes, notes of lines I have heard of, and things like that, all marked on my file all while not having got up from the couch. Then when you get to the actual prerun you have all your preliminary notes in front of you and on the trail you can input new notes, delete notes, add audible notes, complete control of what you want your GPS to tell you come race day.

From there you can merge everyone on your teams notes together onto one joint file. You can cut out lines you took and marked during the prerun, or delete the primary course because you want to make sure you take YOUR line. It completely changed the way I prerun. I almost want to just ride on the prerun so I can put exactly what I want my corider to tell me in the heat of the battle.

It could be different for recreational, but for me it is a game changer. All for under $1000.

51rcr

Lead nav is top notch but takes some time to learn and work with and input. Do it right ya dont need a co driver, well he wont need to tell ya any gps cause it will tell you and replace him. But it cant change a tire.