what tools do you carry on the trail

petrolhead13

Reaction
I've been known to empty out the shops tool box and bring everything and the kitchen sink in my trail tool box (which has saved our asses more than once) while other friends barley bring any tools. So after tons of back and forth with friends about what you really need with you on the trail, I figured it was time to ask the off road racing community what your all packing in your tool box you carry with you on the trail?

I normally have:
18v drill (w/ full index and bits) and impact
standard and metric 1/2" and 3/8" sockets, drives, exstensions and breaker bar
" " combination wrenches and cresent wrenches
full set of screwdrivers
large and small pry bar
utility knife
duck tape, zip ties, extra hardware, hiems, uniballs, baleen wire, locktite, teflon tape, speaker wire and connectors
pall pin hammer, dead blow and rubber mallet
allen keys

and I'm sure there's lots I'm forgetting

BuzzChaser

Reaction
Youre friends probably drive Chevys:eek:
Sorry I couldn't resist, good subject though

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Well since my prerunner is now a bike I carry the following:
1 or 2 spare tubes w/pump and co2 kit
Tire repair kit
Spare fuses of different amperages
Cell phone/wallet/keys
KTM tool kit that came with the bike
Tire spoons
Zip ties
Electrical tape
Screw drivers

Thats all I can think of for now.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
Are you talking about Jeeping? prerunning?,or racing?

randy s

Reaction
a phatty and some hostess cup cakes.

Weatherman

The voice of desert racing
Reaction
Petrolhead13 --- Now you got me started: Besides what you listed! Fuses of all types, electrical tape, radiator hose repair tape, radiator stop leak, tire repair kit plus lots of fix-a flat. A large plastic container of fluids which include: Motor oil, gear oil, power steering fluid, trans fluids,(both types), wd-40, starter fluid, white lithium grease, marine grease gun w/grease and hand cleaner. Also three tow straps, battery cables, a porta power with all attachments, a sawsall, 5 gallons of regular gas, 5 gallons of water, plus a case of bottled water.

I also have a Quik-Air-3 air compressor, a Mobi-Arc Welder and a winch with snatch blocks and tree protectors. Lots of granola, trail mix, tarps, rags and gloves.

Sirris radio and a dvd player with lots of off road action, for when I'm bored, while waiting to fix or tow out a B I T D racer or Parker 4-Wheeler.

What did I forget and don't say BEER, as Casey dosent allow it. But as you already know, if you are out of the race, I have been known to have a stash.

All of this in my little Currie Jeep. Who would of believed?

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
Petrolhead13 --- Now you got me started: Besides what you listed! Fuses of all types, electrical tape, radiator hose repair tape, radiator stop leak, tire repair kit plus lots of fix-a flat. A large plastic container of fluids which include: Motor oil, gear oil, power steering fluid, trans fluids,(both types), wd-40, starter fluid, white lithium grease, marine grease gun w/grease and hand cleaner. Also three tow straps, battery cables, a porta power with all attachments, a sawsall, 5 gallons of regular gas, 5 gallons of water, plus a case of bottled water.

I also have a Quik-Air-3 air compressor, a Mobi-Arc Welder and a winch with snatch blocks and tree protectors. Lots of granola, trail mix, tarps, rags and gloves.

Sirris radio and a dvd player with lots of off road action, for when I'm bored, while waiting to fix or tow out a B I T D racer or Parker 4-Wheeler.

What did I forget and don't say BEER, as Casey dosent allow it. But as you already know, if you are out of the race, I have been known to have a stash.

Wow!! thats prepared!! Were you a Boy Scout?? HaHa!!

Matt Stevens

Reaction
Its only important to have the tools and parts to fix what might break:confused:.

randy s

Reaction
extra cigarettes and matches. some light sticks. can of sterno. hard candy. extra eyeglasses. complete first aid kit. vacumn pac a coat if your racing. and a blanket. shovel and hoe [better to drag sand out than lift it out.] camera to take pics of how miserable you look when you break. advil. spot tracker. sat phone. money [small bills and lots of change.] small portable winch, fire extinguishers everywhere. flashlites everywhere. batterys. bug spray. film for your brownie [toilet paper]. snacks you like. jb weld. a mechanic. extra lug nutz. roll of carpet or sand racks. rear lights on switches . those new led stick on lights inside the cab. good tire stuff [plugs guages vi-air, boots] gen III itt night vision googles so you can watch what's watchin' you at night out in the middle of nowhere. leathermans tool. small can of bag balm. jenna jamison blow up doll w/pump and vinyl patch kit with extra patches [very important]. picture of your wife.

BGRANT

Reaction
I have a rule. My buddies always know I have my tools when we ride so they don't want to carry theirs. So when someone needs my tools, they have to carry the tool belt until somebody else needs it. One ride I only had to carry it for the first couple of miles and somebody else had it the rest of the day. Moto X guys are the worst about tools. They don't want the extra wait. Hell, most of them only weigh 140 lbs anyway.

motoman29

Reaction
I have a rule. My buddies always know I have my tools when we ride so they don't want to carry theirs. So when someone needs my tools, they have to carry the tool belt until somebody else needs it. One ride I only had to carry it for the first couple of miles and somebody else had it the rest of the day. Moto X guys are the worst about tools. They don't want the extra wait. Hell, most of them only weigh 140 lbs anyway.
good rule.

cupnut

Reaction
extra cigarettes and matches. some light sticks. can of sterno. hard candy. extra eyeglasses. complete first aid kit. vacumn pac a coat if your racing. and a blanket. shovel and hoe [better to drag sand out than lift it out.] camera to take pics of how miserable you look when you break. advil. spot tracker. sat phone. money [small bills and lots of change.] small portable winch, fire extinguishers everywhere. flashlites everywhere. batterys. bug spray. film for your brownie [toilet paper]. snacks you like. jb weld. a mechanic. extra lug nutz. roll of carpet or sand racks. rear lights on switches . those new led stick on lights inside the cab. good tire stuff [plugs guages vi-air, boots] gen III itt night vision googles so you can watch what's watchin' you at night out in the middle of nowhere. leathermans tool. small can of bag balm. jenna jamison blow up doll w/pump and vinyl patch kit with extra patches [very important]. picture of your wife.

LOL -Extra patches for the Jenna Doll. Those must be if you get into a Tight spot in the Bush and have some Hard times getting out . Don't forget some lubricants - motor oil & KY

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
in our race car ther is a ready welder, metric/ standard wrenches, 3/8-1/2 drive socket sets. silicone ,jb quik, oil, brake cleaner, hiems/ hardware, cv's and grease, rubber gloves,impact, even have jumper cables, in case we need to weld farther from the batteries, big hammer, #1-#2 phillips, 2 flatheads, 1 big enuff to pry with .i know theres more.

Tipracer

Reaction
I think the question should be what DON'T you take...every time we leave the garage is EMPTY!!! In the race car we carry all the tools we might need(within reason), survival stuff like water, food, lighter and tape. In the chase trucks all the spares and tools...the last thing I want to have happen is the one spare we don't bring is the one that we need.

BajaBound27

Reaction
Thanks for the good laugh while im at work on this post! The jenna comment topped it off!

Score 44

<font color="DarkOrchid">Think Strange</font>
Reaction

Hey Mr. W, I thought I carried a lot of "stuff"..... lets see oil,t oil, ps oil brake fluid, stop leak gear oil, air comp, impact + ass. sockets, spare lugs, ass. bolts & nut, lots of pull ties. 15 tie down straps-all sizes, a 60' strap & a 30' strap, some slime, tire plugs, brake clean, Windex, rags, paper towels, good size ice chest, sorry no beer, k-ration, a bottle jack, a scissor jack, cb radio, fire bottles, pry bar, a fair amount of tools, starter fluid, duck tape, e-tape, hose patch stuff, kibble, ass. goggles, ass. glass's
matches, hand cleaner, grease, tarp, ass. gloves, fuses, d-rings, 10 gallons of gas, 2 gallons of water, .... looong jumper cables that I can use without opening the hood or trunk, to name some, I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff...
Also by the way my little hot rod has 2 front & 2 rear.... VERY bright amber lites, plus 2 door (ally) lites that I can either turn on or have 'em flash.... my tail lites can "wig wag" .... & my 4 head lites can flash in numerous patterns... I have afire truck e horn... & 4 different sirens... with a 120 decb. speaker front & rear... that will also PA the race radio.... & by the way my "winch" is a 509 c.i. speed-o-motive caddy.... oh yeah, my ride is also very low key.....

Last edited:

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
We at EC Motorsports never carry tools...you may ask yourself WHY??? Well, neither my cousin nor me know who to use them...:D:D:D

Weatherman

Reaction
Chuck --- A Rolls Royce is not low key as you already knew, you show off!!!!!!!!!!!! At SCORE Races. you are the man. I have discussed the idea of a SCORE RETRIEVAL ASSOCIATION, with you as the chief of retrievals. This would be a volunteer position as it is at the BITD races, and a much needed group of volunteers, for Laughlin and Primm. At Mexico races your group, should you become the revered leader, would be of enormous assistance to the racers. Please say you will take on this responsibility!!

Weatherman

Reaction
And chuck, I also have all the stuff you mentioned plus loads of other stuff, I forgot in my first post. My emergency lights, besides retrieval at BITD, are for pulling over the snow birds on the Desert Bar Road. It's only five miles long , buts thats two drinks when you count the time saved.