What type of tubing for bumper.

Just-in

Reaction
I'm confused what type of tubing I should use to make a set of bumpers for my truck.

4130 chromoly 1.75.x120
or 1.75x.120 DOM?
people on another forum told me both are overkil unless I'm racing...
Then what should I use?
I"m not racing in competition just out to have fun and my truck is also partly a daily driver so I want some protection for crazies on the road...
thanks
-Justin

Just-in

Reaction
IMO can't put a pricetag on safety.
I was prepared to spend 3 hundred something for 30 feet of 1.75x.120 DOM from metalsupermarkets. Not anytime soon being I just lost my job but... so I figured that was about what I'd be getting into. does that sound about right?

djblakely

Reaction
Play toy or daily driver?
If so all you need is 1020 ERW(E= electronicly R= resistant W= welded)
It is mild steel with a seam. Industry standard for non-race application.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
play toy or daily driver?
If so all you need is 1020 erw(e= electronicly r= resistant w= welded)
it is mild steel with a seam. Industry standard for non-race application.

x2!! Erw is fine.. And a fraction of the cost of dom, or 4130n..

stoprez2006

Reaction
I am working on a bumper for an 85 Toyota and I am using 1.75"x.120" welded seam, its looking to be plenty strong enough. Remember though safety is a huge consideration but also some parts are meant to be sacrificial should an accident occur. Sacrificing a bumper could save your frame or your own back by dissipating the shock of the impact.

Zac Reish

Reaction
You are better off with a mild steel bumper. 4130 is more likely to crack than bend. mild steel will bend before it cracks which is what you want with a bumper. plus if it is a toy you shouldn't even watse time using 4130.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Something that will give before your frame/cage. I prefer ERW for bumpers as they are a disposable item on the truck.

maxyedor

Reaction
IMO can't put a pricetag on safety.
I was prepared to spend 3 hundred something for 30 feet of 1.75x.120 DOM from

$10/ft for 1.75x.120:eek: You need a new metal supplier, should be right around $3.25/ft for DOM, maybe $1/ft less for ERW.

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
$10/ft for 1.75x.120:eek: You need a new metal supplier, should be right around $3.25/ft for DOM, maybe $1/ft less for ERW.

i paid $59 for a 19ft stick of 1.5x.120 dom

and around $300 for 4 sticks (76ft)of 1 5/8 x.120 dom that,s Canadian as well .