What we have lost over the years

Fourstroker

Reaction

NIKAL

Reaction
Sounds like it might be a consensus for those who were around that Riverside Raceway’s Score Championship is the most missed event?

I don’t think something like this could be ever duplicated today, but even something close would be awesome. Imagine a 3-4 day event with desert classes, short course classes and even SST all in one location at one event.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I never ran it, but remember Silver Dust Racing Org.? They had a crazy 400 mile loop race they did that ran around Nevada that seemed like it would have been a great race for the adventurous types. I remember reading in Dusty Times about it and the time of year, it was regular for the teams to race through snow at the higher elevations.

J Prich

Reaction
Again maybe I’m really naive but I feel like a Riverside esque race would be the MOST likely to recreate. The desert that’s gone, is gone. But there are plenty of road course venues that seem capable of hosting a Riverside like event. I imagine cost and buy in from the venue would be the biggest barriers but once you secure the location, it’s just down to moving some dirt.

JDDurfey

Reaction
Again maybe I’m really naive but I feel like a Riverside esque race would be the MOST likely to recreate. The desert that’s gone, is gone. But there are plenty of road course venues that seem capable of hosting a Riverside like event. I imagine cost and buy in from the venue would be the biggest barriers but once you secure the location, it’s just down to moving some dirt.
Willow Springs raceway in Rosamond CA. If you can get through the red tape, that would be a cool place. There is some desert around the raceway that could possibly used too.

DeCampRacing

Reaction
Sounds like it might be a consensus for those who were around that Riverside Raceway’s Score Championship is the most missed event?

I don’t think something like this could be ever duplicated today, but even something close would be awesome. Imagine a 3-4 day event with desert classes, short course classes and even SST all in one location at one event.
You could never duplicate what Riverside was in the late 70's. The RIR was a perfect venue, It was a 3-day/night festival with races during the day!

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Button Willow? Maybe the track in Pahrump if the country clubbers would let us in? Unfortunately, most big race tracks like Old Riverside are now located in middle to upper income urban areas where it just doesn't fit well. Riverside was still a dirt bike haven when the races were going on there. Now jetting a bike up and down your local street will get a visit from the local gendarmes.

J Prich

Reaction
Button Willow? Maybe the track in Pahrump if the country clubbers would let us in? Unfortunately, most big race tracks like Old Riverside are now located in middle to upper income urban areas where it just doesn't fit well. Riverside was still a dirt bike haven when the races were going on there. Now jetting a bike up and down your local street will get a visit from the local gendarmes.
Understand your point but if the neighbors can tolerate NASCAR cars running around the track for a weekend, how is that any different from an off road race inside the same property? My guess is the bigger factor would be cost to use the facility. The "mega tracks" these days probably don't see the ROI for this kind of event so there is little incentive to do it. Or maybe no one has made a serious run at it.

Obviously it's never going to be exactly like what it used to be, literally nothing is. But, even just looking at a place like LVMS...there is plenty of room there to put something together IMO. Again I think it would just come down to whether the cost to move the dirt in, etc would be worth it and whether the event could be pitched the facility in a way that made it attractive to them.

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
This would be a good place for a Riverside duplicate attempt...

snoreracer

Reaction
The thing with Riverside was it was a road course and had lots of room to run in the dirt off the pavement and still had large grandstands . the only thing on the west cost or close is miller outside of Salt Lake . The 1st year that Lucas oil raced there it was close to riverside with about 2 miles

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Yep. The ovals have lots of 'stuff' inside that makes creating a course tough. Trucking in dirt to make it dirt is cost prohibitive. I think racers would support it at just about any race track at any fairgrounds that isn't inside a city. In fact, a fantastic place to do something like this would be the horse track in Prescott, Az. Plenty of open land to run out into and the City would SUPPORT that type of entertainment. Do it in the Summer and you would get loads of people looking for a reason to get out of Hot L.A. down the hill.

kyle_pc_75

Reaction
The thing with Riverside was it was a road course and had lots of room to run in the dirt off the pavement and still had large grandstands . the only thing on the west cost or close is miller outside of Salt Lake . The 1st year that Lucas oil raced there it was close to riverside with about 2 miles
I worked the course at that first Lucas race at Miller with a bunch of BOR folks, it was pretty awesome. The next step was supposed to be the infamous MI7 "Robby Gordon" thing that got cancelled the morning of the race. I can only imagine what Riverside would've been like back in the day.

JDDurfey

Reaction
This would be a good place for a Riverside duplicate attempt...
I managed a business at the Mojave airport while that was being built. I wanted to sneak in a spin a few laps, but I never did.