what we looked like years ago......

jimpat

Reaction

as I feel sad that I had to get back home just after Primm contingency and miss the race, I opend an email from a friend and this web page has photos of what we raced 30 years ago ........Scrool to almost the bottom and you'll see a young Jim Patelli........so now i feel twice as sad......an old man that can't even climb into the car anymore...( thats why Joe is driving the Blazer and will also drive the new one.....)
http://www.mysterion.net/AAFA/socal020.html

martininsocal

Reaction
Jim- you ran an altered? Way cool! Those cars would have been a lot faster if they ever went in a straight line! YOu ever run against Willie Borscht(sp)? How about match racing with the Stone, Woods, and Cook Willies? Those were my Favorites!

jimpat

Reaction
Martin, we ran a 41 willis in A/GS in 58-9-60..
against Stone Woods and Cook....Mazamenian,Pitman, Ciambella........ran 140 MPH in that class.....
About the aa/fa......
This was the reputation of this class:
Fuel Altereds -- The power of Fuel Dragsters, wheelbases shorter than Funny Cars, and NO aerodynamics! The most evil-handling race cars known to man!
But what a blast to drive them is you were lucky enough to get to the finish line.....
In 1963 I had the fastest time ever and won every race I entered...
As of now I am listed as the 144th all time fastest, 179.95 MPH and 8.250 ET...
See the list at :
http://www.draglist.com/lists/faq32.txt
I still get tears in my eyes when I think about those crazy times......
thanks Martin for your post
jim

Attachments

• 66656-patelli_fiat.jpg
    66656-patelli_fiat.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 247

martininsocal

Reaction
Jim- If you ran a fuel Altered, then your quote "when everything is under control, you are going to slow" makes all the sense in the world.

Josh_K

Reaction
Jim, just for the history, tell us the story about you leading the INDY 500.

jimpat

Reaction
Dalton,
in 1959 and 60 Paul Russo, Wilson and I were involved with the Novi Indy cars.
When Granatelli bought them in 1960 and changed them around and had Parnelli drive, Wilson and I put together a racer with the Offy laying on its side, making the sillouette lower and moving the weight over to the left.
We ran this car for 3 years , placing in the top 15 spots every year, don't really remember now but believe the best finish was 5th.
We had the lead in 61, I was in the car for about 20 laps as
Wilson was waiting to get in (he had an oil burn from a cam tower leak, so he had to get out to doctor it) and as everybody was pitting, I got the lead...not much excitment!!!!
He got in and got to the front again till the Mag (Joe Hunt mag) quit. It was listed as a fuel pump failure, but it was a magneto failure.
Indy racing in my scale of things is in third place.....off road first, drags and then roundy round.
I'll attach a photo of the car.
Thanks for the interest
jim

Attachments

• 66743-indy in # 35- 1961.jpg
    66743-indy in # 35- 1961.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 231

Harpo

Reaction
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Jim, that is fantastic!
It is interesting that Parnelli also spent quite a few years in and out of off-road racing.

martininsocal

Reaction
Jim- Did you know any of the crew that worked for Granatelli back then? Clark West, an Offroader of the past, worked for him on the Novi's. Were you around the pits when the infamous "charged" fueling tower sprung a leak? In that vane, were involved with of the land speed stuff Granatelli did? My Dad did some test driving for Ford back in the days and then somehow hooked up with Granatelli when he did the land speed deals for Studebaker. My dad had the original Avanti R5 (twin superchargers) that he crashed and burn't up street racing back then. Seems the Fire Departments weren't used to Fiberglass cars yet. In your drag days, did you ever run into Joe Rohrer? He was one of the fastest Bike drag guys around. His kid was a great offroad driver until a flip broke his back and took him out of cars. Joe had several slips with unbelievable times for back then, and his favorite race was a grudge match between him and the Silver Slipper.

jimpat

Reaction
Martin, the only people I remember on the pre Granatelli Novi was Paul Russo,Wilson and Gene Marcenec, the french engine builder that got me interested in motor building. We
spoke the same french-italian dialect and that used to piss off Paul Russo because he only spoke italian, no dialects.
Never met any of the people after Granatelli got the cars.
Mostly we never talked much after he canned everyone in the old Novi team.The others you mentioned....my memory
is out to lunch...
jim