What would it take?

SJP12

Reaction
I was just reading that the trucks in CORE mini truck class are limited to 12" suspension travel front and 14" of travel rear, and the races i've seen on tv they seem to fly and take landings well with the minimal trave they have. My question is, how hard would it be to get 12" of travel out of front suspenion of and S-10 and to get 14" out of the rear. I'm guessing that the only kit that MAYBE could do this would be the CST Long travel with uniball, but i'm guessing something custom would need to be the deal to get 12" of quality travel. As for the rear suspension what is the most you could get while staying with leaf springs? How hard is it to do what i'm thinking off, or is it just a money factor? It sounds like it would be simple but i'm guessing its not

If youve never been scared your going to slow<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by SJP12 on 10/29/02 08:10 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Dillon

Reaction
You can probably get about 14" or travel in back without going to 62s, (which entails new front hangers and new shackles and running them under the axle....but that gets you about 18-21" of travel depending on how you do it). Just call Deaver, talk to them, you will have to go through the bed to get a 14" shock to work.

gary

Reaction
you do understand that the core trucks are full on, coilover/linked race trucks? tube chassis, motors moved back for weight distribution, all body panels fiberglass... nothing on there that's not full race...can't compare that to a regular s-10, man. (or a toyota, or a ford)

Timmah

Reaction
You can probably get that kind of travel without too much expense, but wouldn't you still be dealing with that S10 inhereht upper a-arm mount breakage I've heard about?

I think the reason the CORR Series trucks do so well with that limited suspension travel is like someone already said is the balance and even more so that they are so light weight. I don't know the weight of one of those trucks, but I would have to speculate that they weigh about half of what a fully caged S10 or Ranger would.

So while you could fairly easily get that kind of suspension travel out of an S10, don't be dissapointed when it doesn't fly and land like a pro-lite1 :)

GO BIG AND DON'T LOOK DOWN!!!!!!

tkr

Reaction
Greaves Pro 4 truck is listed at 4100 lbs...which seems really heavy to me, but oh well....we don't have an S-10 p/u on the lot, but an S-10 Blazer is 4450 lbs. I imagine the p/u would be a little less than that.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

jeff

Reaction
A Pro-Lite truck weighs about 2800lbs. I agree with others, there is no way you could bolt a long travel kit onto a stock truck and have it perform like a Pro-Lite truck... no way Jose'. Those trucks are now scratch built and are full on race trucks. Nothing stock about them! Even if you were able to dial in the suspension to soak up the bumps and jumps there is no way your stock frame, stock drivetrain, and stock body would hold up to the abuse. If I bolt on the extremely nice Newline Ford F-150 kit I don't have a trophy truck when I'm done... there's a reason those trucks cost six figures to build.

You can't bolt on any manufacturers kit and drive it like a race truck for very long. But you can buy a used race truck and drive it like a race truck :) Check out the classifieds here and elsewhere for short course trucks. Save your stocker for the freeway and buy a purpose built toy for when it's time to head out to the dirt.

Aloha