• Forum membership has its advantages....

what year explorer to build?

racemedic

What year or years would be good to build? I'm thinking about building one into a mild chase vehicle. What year was the last for i-beams? Also anyone got any pics?
Thanks
Bob

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
check out ace motorsports they build an explorer for a stock class. Pretty nice too.

Kris

If you wanted a steak you shouldn't have went to McDonald's!

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
1991-1994 Were the TIB/TTB Explorers. I'm planning the build of my '93 right now. You could build a pretty nice second-generation (95-01) Explorer though, if you'll stick with a 2wd and are willing to spend some money. I really like the TTB, and I'm a 4wd kinda guy, so I'd build a 91-94.

David - No one of consequence.

sirhk100

Yeah, the one at the Baja Shop is definately a 91-94 with the newer front glass clip. Also, Camburg has a pretty tight one running around too. If you want the I-Beam or TTB setup you want to stick with 91-94. If you want to mess with the A-Arm front setup 95+ will do you.

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart

Mike_HKmtrsprts

if I had the money I would build a 95+ 4wd, I havent seen any nice ones running around but everone else is the right 91-94 is alot cheaper to build.

Old thread resurrection! I want to ask the same question...91-94 seems to be the way to go, as I'm thinkin ibeams up front for travel. Anyone got anything new to contribute to this?

martein

PM usmcgunrock he is the Marine you met at the Powder Puff race with the white explorer. He knows what to and not to do.

sirhk100

LOL, as an original poster on this thread. I built my '92 4WD up pretty mild compared to today's standards but with a lot of time spent on shock valving it handled great! I actually still to the day miss that ride and I sold it probably 7 years ago now at this point.

I've seen a few really nice ones for sale on craigslist recently depending what your budget is. Buy one that's already built and save yourself cash most likely in the long run!

steveG

Old thread resurrection! I want to ask the same question...91-94 seems to be the way to go, as I'm thinkin ibeams up front for travel. Anyone got anything new to contribute to this?
Beamed Explorers are still the way to go. I have a small pile of parts for my next TTB Explorer build.

How many times can this old thread be brought back to life???

LoL, so I'm ready to buy and build up an Explorer. I've seen lots of guys on here and other sites bragging on their TTB setups, but I have to admit I am not as informed on the subject. I mean, I understand that TTB is the 4wd variant of I beams, but I'm not fully educated on the topic. I guess what I'm saying is, I may be open to the idea of going with 4wd, but I would like to know more about the build/suspension potential.

Also, is there a "master chart" out there that tells us which Ranger/Explorer suspension parts are totally interchangeable, broken down by year and 2/4wd???
For example, will suspension parts from a 2wd 97 Ranger fit a 2wd 94 Explorer??? Stuff like that. Will Camburgs Ranger beams fit Explorers???

martein

How many times can this old thread be brought back to life???

LoL, so I'm ready to buy and build up an Explorer. I've seen lots of guys on here and other sites bragging on their TTB setups, but I have to admit I am not as informed on the subject. I mean, I understand that TTB is the 4wd variant of I beams, but I'm not fully educated on the topic. I guess what I'm saying is, I may be open to the idea of going with 4wd, but I would like to know more about the build/suspension potential.

Also, is there a "master chart" out there that tells us which Ranger/Explorer suspension parts are totally interchangeable, broken down by year and 2/4wd???
For example, will suspension parts from a 2wd 97 Ranger fit a 2wd 94 Explorer??? Stuff like that. Will Camburgs Ranger beams fit Explorers???
Just save yourself a ton of money and headaches and buy USMCGUNROCK's. It is built well and rides good through the big stuff. I have ridden In it and it was impressive.

Brandon_Charley

Formerly "Cracka Racing"
2wd parts between the Ranger and Explorer are only directly 100% interchangable on the a-arm trucks, the a-arm Explorers are exactly the same front suspension as the torsion bar Rangers (Edge, Sport, 4wd).

With the the 2wd beam parts, there are differences, although they can be dealt with. The main difference is that the Explorer comes from the factory with what amount to drop brackets, so beams designed for 4"-6" lift on a Ranger will get something like 6"-8" on an Explorer in the stock mounts. The second difference is that the beam mounts are not the same distances from the frame left to right, so there is roughly a 1.5" track width difference between the two sides of the vehicle. This can be adjusted away somewhat easily if using hiemed beams.

With TTB, the front beams are 100% interchangeable. Keep in mind that the frame on the Explorer is different than the Ranger from firewall back, so you definitely will not be able to use transmission crossmember mounted radius arms meant for a Ranger.