What year motor do I have?

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I have tried calling the local Toyota dealer, LC eng. my chiltons, and others but to no avail. My motor has been rebuilt and the block was supposedly changed with the same year. I think toyota motors changed mid year in 84. the # is 0714411 22r...Anyone?

Duct tape is like the Force.It has a light side and a dark side,and it holds the universe together.

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Hard to tell exactly what year they are - no one I have ever run into know of any written documentaion.
There are two versions - the 81 to early 84 tall deck (22r) and the 85 (late 84) to 95 short deck (22r &re). Best easiest way to tell is if there is a knock sensor boss on the RH side. This will be for the later version.
I will go out tonight and get the numbers off my herd of 22r series motors for you as a reference.
BC

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?

cleartoy

Reaction
Yota whoop beat me too it. If its round, its mid 84 or older. Square nose is 85 and up RE\laser block.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I was under the impression that there were differences in timing chains mid year in 84. I want to go from the single row to double. anything special required to go from single to double other than oil pump gear?

Duct tape is like the Force.It has a light side and a dark side,and it holds the universe together.

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Motor Motor # Year/applicatoin Mfg date
22r-single row chain 1136687 84 4x4 P/U unk
22re single row 1934937 86 4runner 7-86
22re single row 1876036 claimed to be 88 swapmeet motor-???

Timing chains
20r's and early 22r's had the double chain, later 22r;s and all 22re's had the single chain. If I recall correctly the difference for the early 22's is the timing cover and lower drive spline. You can install the early (deeper cover) on the later 22r / re by haveing the top of the timing cover decked down. You will then have to find a lower drive spline - wrecking yard time. Or buy the LC kit.

Judging by your motor #, sounds like an early 22r, may just try to find an early wrecking yard motor to gather parts. Try old celica's or coronas. Same motor but parts are always less than truck motors.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?

sam_i

Reaction
pat

curious why you are doing a double chain conversion. from my experience, just swapping to steel guides will be sufficient - timing chain will still need to be changed every 75k.

you shouldnt need a double chain unless you are turbo / supercharging it... are you?

s

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
"You can install the early (deeper cover) on the later 22r / re by haveing the top of the timing cover decked down."

You must also slot the top two bolt holes and use a shorter bolt on top from the head to timming cover.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
sounds like I can find a double row motor and take the cover, chain and pump drive and bolt it on mine? 22r carb

I am on motor number 5 in 11 years. I drive a lot. Average 75 to 110 plus miles daily working construction. Planning on retireing this truck to off road use only and I want it to be a reliable rev monster basicly.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
You must use a shorter chian in the conversion too. I don't now if anyone sell's them seperately or not. I just took a link out and tiged the plate back on....... The chian guides are a little tall also making it a pian to get the cam sproket in and lined up. Simple fix, bend the tops out a little bit...... BTW I have a copmlete set-up for sale.......

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
called LC engineering today. The said It only takes their oil pump drive gear and a 81 22r timing set for the 82-84 to run the dounle row timing chain. Only the 85-95 Laser blocks require a deep cover kit.