• Forum membership has its advantages....

What's an off road race without a little controversy...

Bro_Gill

So if a civilian vehicle is only doing 55 on a 60 mph highway section, can they be nerfed? Seems some on here are saying GAME ON! I don't see the difference. We are given the PRIVLEGE to race on the public streets and roads in Mexico and some still want to abuse that PRIVLEGE. Despite the knuckle draggers on here who seem to think that maybe we should employ a points system as to how many civilian casualties we can create, I will not condone letting anyone with the name Dr. Frankenstein enter the race.

Do you think anyone with more than 3 brain cells will follow this guys stand?
I can't say I fully disagree.. Definitely not in this harsh of a manner ("Destroy" your personal vehicle) but people know this is a race course. I don't think Apdaly is to blame for this circumstance. Why would you enter a race course when you know there are trophy trucks on the horizon? And if so, do it responsibly and know where/when to exit if a vehicle does come.. You can't protect people if they don't protect themselves.

Does anyone know if there were any heli's above Apdaly? That's usually my warning the trophy's are coming..........................................

Last edited:

fishd00d

What A Joke
Speaking from experience of this exact situation happening to myself in a race here in the U.S. before here is what I think.

Spectator I believe without a doubt he knew he was on the course during a race.

I fully agree with the first bump the RPM truck gave him.

I believe the second act was a little uncalled for. It looks to me like he kept pushing him even when the dude was trying to turn off the course. If he would have just backed off the guy would have turned off without flipping.

I understand races are won by a second sometimes now days but I still think people's lives are far more important than any race win. If this dude would have died everyone would have been saying how RPM was wrong.

I think there should be a new rule specifically made about spectator vehicles on the course before the Baja 1000. What the rule is I have no clue as I do believe a nerf is appropriate especially when they don't move. But I think this would fall under "excessive", which would be a penalty IMO.

Here is video from myself and Dan V handling the same situation and I feel this was ok. Even the swap at the end to throw some rocks is warranted IMO lol

champtruck77

i DELIBERATELY nerf people all the time??? how the hell do you think people pass in desert racing???? NO one is required to yield(in my book) until they are bumped, they can if they want to when they know there is someone behind , but it is not required......rg wont move AFTER bumped, nor will many others....solution for that??? harder hit, sorry but true.....you non racers are killing me, YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IT IS REALLY LIKE!!!!!
Relax Pete! I know you are a racer but you have to see the other side of the story (even if it´s told by fans). It´s ok to bump race vehicles but not civilian vehicles during a Baja 500 or any other race. A fan was hurted (maybe not so much) inside the truck that Apdaly nerfed and bumped to continue leading the race.

Ramsey says there´s no need for new rules but i think Rule GE6 does not apply to civilian vehicles.

New Rule, simple like this, ¨if you nerf or bump a civilian vehicle you are penalize (certain minutes), period. There´s no need to do that.

P.D. Remember Rob MacCachren lost the race for less than one minute; he probably lost more than one minute behind some local traffic on the live course and he did not bumped some local´s truck. Rob is the one that should be complaining with SCORE, but he won´t because he is a good competitor and will respect Apdaly´s win.

Does anyone else find the opening sentence is SCORE's PR a bit odd?

"ENSENADA, Mexico—Racing with the discipline and patience of a much older and more experienced desert racer, 20-year old Carlos Lopez of Tecate, Mexico, blazed past a field that included the world’s best desert racers to capture the overall and SCORE Trophy Truck victory Saturday at the 47th Bud Light SCORE Baja 500 desert race."

MARXICO

The only one who needs to be OK with Apdalys actions is Clyde Stacey, without Clyde there is no Apdaly .

Clyde is the enabler it just depends on his level of ethics and value of human safety is the price Clyde determines how much a win is worth, obviously team orders are win at all cost .Ultimately that is the deciding factor that insures the longevity of our sport s existence, the more collateral damage an event produces the higher risk of future races being canceled grows. Ultimately one person’s judgment call or standard can have an overall effect on the future for everyone else. It would be a shame if years of racing history ended because of a 20 year old kid’s perception of winning over human safety is decided by a trophy for his boss

fishd00d

What A Joke
The only one who needs to be OK with Apdalys actions is Clyde Stacey, without Clyde there is no Apdaly .

Clyde is the enabler it just depends on his level of ethics and value of human safety is the price Clyde determines how much a win is worth, obviously team orders are win at all cost .Ultimately that is the deciding factor that insures the longevity of our sport s existence, the more collateral damage an event produces the higher risk of future races being canceled grows. Ultimately one person’s judgment call or standard can have an overall effect on the future for everyone else. It would be a shame if years of racing history ended because of a 20 year old kid’s perception of winning over human safety is decided by a trophy for his boss
Honestly from what I have seen of the kid is he only knows one speed and that's foot to the floor. Smooth and steady are not words he knows lol. He takes "checkers or wreckers" to a whole new level. Just watch him drive a SST truck it's the same way. I guess that's what happens when you don't need to pay for anything yourself and you have no fear because you don't know any different.
More power to him I guess.

calstyl2

Apdaly drives just like his dad but faster, kid has talent and no fear, he makes Tavo look like a controlled pace setting driver. He is fun to watch and also a huge threat to have a major crash.

tcm glx

First, like I said before, I probably never would have touched the truck myself unless I followed him for a solid 30 seconds to a full minute, then I might have tried tapping him to let him know I needed to get by.

To answer your question, IF I knew that the truck rolled, I 100% would have stopped to make sure they occupants of the vehicle were okay before continuing on (case in point, I stopped at the 2012 Baja 1000 for about 2-3 minutes to check on Bryce's dad who rolled his prerunner while "chasing" Bryce down the live race course. Granted I didn't cause the accident, but as a human being I do have regard for other people's lives).

To say Apdaly knew he rolled the truck and continued on is an accusation that nobody knows the answer to. I believe he truly didn't know he had rolled the truck.

Pat is right, Apdaly should not be DQ'd, but like I said in my previous post, there needs to be a precedent on key issues that occurred during this Baja 500 in preparation for the Baja 1000 in November.

Well Said Andy Mac and respect for this!!

mexgamer

So... are we all just ignoring what Andy said or...? I just thought it was worth pointing out that the opinion of a seasoned veteran hasn't received the appropriate attention (except for some, and I agree with Andy)

I have said it before, most of you commenting were not there, right? And you are assuming a single video speaks the whole truth. You are accusing Apdaly based on your own assumptions, these assumptions include:
1) He intentionally hit the car a second time and rolled it over.
2) He knew the truck rolled over and did not stop to check on him.
I don't think a respectable organization should make a decision based on a video that does not speak the whole truth. (In Tavo's Baja 1000 case it was pretty clear he was cheating, no way around it, here it's not so black and white)

Some will choose to dismiss the account of a firsthand witness when I tell you the back of the truck had no visible damage. If Apdaly had violently nerfed the spectator truck the tailgate would present huge damage.

SCORE should do something, but that something should not be disqualifying Apdaly. I had said it before, this is just a few hundred yards from where the course exited the highway. Why did the course workers let an spectator's truck inside a live race course at all, especially when a TT was coming? (The pick-up truck was definitely coming from the highway so don't suppose it was coming from another dirt road as there wasn't any other way in besides the highway). Course Workers are instructed not to let ANYBODY in the race course, unless they can prove they own a piece of land there, live there or something of that kind. Another reason for letting someone in the course is because of an emergency, in which case Weatherman should be alerted.
People will always find a way to get in the course, but if you can at least shield the highway entrances then you are cutting that number greatly, I assure you that. Less cars in the course = less chance of an accident involving non race cars. So SCORE should make a better effort at instructing course workers, and hire more volunteers!!! There's plenty of responsible fans who would love to volunteer for SCORE races, and with the appropriate training they would do a great job. Not letting spectators get on a live race course (at least from the highway) would be great!

BHollander

I am all in favor of a penalty. These people could be on their way home. If you are driving down your private road and get creamed by a vehicle behind you is it your fault? Or the in patient person behind you. What if it happened on the black top? Something needs to be done either way. Otherwise it sends a message do not wait for any traffic go ahead and handle the situation how you feel is fit. Mexico is Mexico yes but to be honest I love mexico and I hate the fact that some ignorant people think that you can just do whatever you want down there. Kind of like the people that think oh we can destroy Buffalo Bills cause its primm. It is Mexico and we are the guests and honestly it has some awesome areas and some dumpy areas much like San Diego and many other cities and states here. Don't be ignorant.

Let me ask this if it was a bike would Apdaly drive through it?

Judging by the fact that there are several RPM entries at every race I would highly doubt that Score will make an example of this whether that is the right or wrong call. Score needs every entry they can get.

Maybe R. Acer will hook the family up with a new grocery getter.

LantanaTX

I put the local, driving on the course in the same category as spectators standing on the outside of a turn. Not a smart thing to do but hitting them is bad for business and needs to be avoided if at all possible. While not the racers fault that a local is cruising along on the course, if it can be proved the racer could have avoided the accident, but purposely didn't then a DQ or major penalty should handed out. We can't control a lot of what is going on our there, but we can control how we react. I will bet the most watched videos of the race were the 10 car crash on the start, RG running over an idiot, and the local truck getting punted onto its side. I don't see how any of these events were good for the sport. The 10 car and RG look like accidents while the Local being rolled looks intentional.

deano

McDeano
I wonder if Monster and King shares the same opinion as BJ the total disregard for life and property in the pursuit of a $29 trophy.
Exactly what I was thinking - Sometimes @robertjunior hits the "send" button a bit prematurely without thinking !! #sshhhhhhh

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Very disrespectful to the people of Baja. Just because it's Mexico doesn't give us the right to do whatever the hell we want.
But don't so many of us do it anyways? Do most of us walk around the streets of US drunk and with beer in our hands? Do most of us go to strip clubs in U.S. and try to get laid? Do we drive around in race trucks? NO. I'm not disrespecting Baja more than it already does itself with corruption so don't tell me that I'm disrespecting it when I speak my truth,

Oh and Steve, yeah I don't believe I'll be going away any time soon, for that matter, I'm not really sure where I am that you want me to go away from nor do I believe that you know where I'm at so yeah.

Finally, I was merely talking about the difference of CA laws vs Baja laws.
Not sure why so many of you have such a hard on over something that already happened and wasn't dealt with, this is probably not the place to try and fix it, call Roger and ask for this to be addressed for future references.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

choyero

What I get from BJ's post is a threat against the lives of the people that get in his way, even if he is using their(our) roads, the roads that they(we) use to get to our homes or towns, if he will kill anyone to get his 29 dollar trophy I don't see why he would be welcome back in to Mexico.
I think we can all enjoy the races that SCORE promotes down here, I have convinced several ranchers to let the races go trough their land over the years and will do my best to prevent it if BJ and that stupid kid are not banned from racing here.

JoeyD23

Guarantee if a Race UTV was shoving a truck off course pop gun would have a whole other opinion - FACT