Whats Bent ?

michael_loomis

Reaction
well im trying to figure out what exactly is bent on my front end. my drivers side front tire was hit by a 700lb harley doing about 45-50. it has way more negative camber as the tire rubs the upper a arm (CST LT) badly and it wants to sit at full downtravel all the time. the rim and wheel spacer are not bent as there is no wobble .

my question is this ..... what do you think give ?

1. upper arm
2. lower arm
3. bullseye lift spindle
4. frame

thanks in advance for the insight.

Eric_M

Reaction
i would say to compare each side to each other untill you notice something that the passenger side does/doesnt have that the drivers side does. just compare, thats all i can think of. good luck though

stupid people shouldnt breed!

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
check your upper and lower arms for stress cracks in the powder coat or the welds! that might tell you if the arm is bent, if not I would say the frame....

prospectator

Reaction
Mike,
My trucks front driver side was hit hard and it did the same thing. It sat at full droop all the time. It ended up being a bent spindle and tie rod.

yotatech

Reaction
Not sure if this is what your problem is, but a friend from work has the same kit on his sonoma and it has the same problem on the passenger side. His frame is bent or twisted from a previous accident. So maybe thats your problem but not sure.

BlueCoyote

Reaction
My suggestion would be to take it to an alighnment shop that specializes in off road trucks. Have the set it up and check the suspension components and geometery. You would be amazed at how much may actually be damaged. Had a Honda hit my 4runner a few years ago (totaled that civic). Figured it just needed an alignment and was gonna do it myself. But took it to a friend who was an expert alignment teck - the insuracne co shelled out over $2400 to fix it - bent spindle, upper and lower arms, upper ball joint, cross shaft, one tire rod end, relay rod and wheel bearings. It was all legit too - he showed me the new vs damaged parts to prove it.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

michael_loomis

Reaction
well thanks for the replies guys .... all excellent opinions .... i guess the obvious next step would be to get the frame checked before i tear it down and start comparing.

assuming i need new spindel's does anyone know roughly what it would cost for a custom set to be made , by say "camburg" ? [maybe jerry will read this :) ]

thanks again

evan_clanin

Reaction
i would just take it to a shop like was said earlier, becuse there trained to see things you might not see

aim for the moon even if you miss you will land among the stars

curt

Reaction
We had the same problem until friday night. Truck launched the right spindle shaft/rotor/tire during qualifying it was apparently bent for a couple of races. Also another truck had 3 month old billet aluminum spindles and had brake issues after hitting the start finish jump so his preliminary estimation is the billet ones are flexing under large loads and force the pads out requiring a double or triple pump to get the brakes working again. If the spindle is bent it will affect the brakes since the rotor will not sit square against the pads until the pads wear to the same angle. Curt

VORRA Class 7