What's point of starting in Ensenada?

jcorsico

Reaction
The whole road out of town is one gigantic speed zone? If they want to do a parade lap for the spectators, do it the day before the race. But why start "the race" in an area where it takes 20 minutes to drive to the actual racetrack?

jcorsico

Reaction
I would add that there were basically no spectators during the speed zone. And then, as soon as the speed zone ended, people everywhere! What a shock! Spectators don't like to watch trucks going 37 mph.

So if the goal is to keep spectators away from the dangerous stuff, it doesn't really work. The spectators will just go where it's dangerous, since that's where it's fun to watch.

swiftracing5

Reaction
Money

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I remember back in the 80s that they would parade out of town to Ojos and start racing there. As to why, I think the post above says it all.

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

Reaction
If I may ad it’s a tradition. Unfortunately we have had some tragedies in recent years and due to soc media etc. at some point safety has to be recognized. I understand you can’t it a fence around all of the 1000 miles but. Town is where most hang out to see cars go by. As a competitor I too wish we were hauling the mail through town but I do respect the speed zones and what they stand for. I was told it’s the only way we can keep racing the Baja races. We had to make safety changes. I get it.

tapeworm

Reaction
If I may ad it’s a tradition. Unfortunately we have had some tragedies in recent years and due to soc media etc. at some point safety has to be recognized. I understand you can’t it a fence around all of the 1000 miles but. Town is where most hang out to see cars go by. As a competitor I too wish we were hauling the mail through town but I do respect the speed zones and what they stand for. I was told it’s the only way we can keep racing the Baja races. We had to make safety changes. I get it.

Putting a fence around the track didn’t really seem to work all that well... spectators were still hit.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

jcorsico

Reaction
The real problem is that adding a speed zone in town is self defeating - there won't be any spectators left in town, once everyone realizes it's lame to watch there. You are just going to drive people out of Ensenada, which is not good for money.

MTPyle

Reaction
I think the start in Ensenada is good and I am OK with the speed zones for the roads. Not sure why there was a speed zone in the wash though?

I kind of like the early speed zones as it give us a chance to settle down and relax. So much built up energy waiting to start.

Mike

johndjmix

Reaction
If the start was in Ojos could you imagine the traffic aka accidents on that road going there from Ensenada. Bad idea.

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

ThatSpaceMexican

Reaction
Wasn't it just a logistical nightmare last time they started in ojos? 1999. traffic, and spectators everwhere along with racers having to travel to the start/camp at ojos negros?

Tipracer

Reaction
$$$ and sense ... who wants to see a start anyplace but ensenada?? Ease of access number one, availability of places to stay and work out of number two, ojos start has literally one way in and very little if any infrastructure to support a start.

dhjeepgeek

Reaction
Just need more military with machine guns. Big machine guns. The spectator will stay back for them. If the spectators would stay where the policia tells them and the sun came up in the west it would all be perfect. I know they have been trying to keep people off the outside of corners.

mattb

Reaction
It's the 500 or the 1000. There are many miles of racing and places to oberserve, so I don't think 10 miles of speed zone ruin a whole race. Even if they were hauling the mail through town, what do you get to see? One turn? Maybe a jump in the turd infested wash?
Safety is more important.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Why does everyone cry about a speed zone? SCORE tacks on more miles to off set that. Is there some ratio SZ to full speed that makes everyone happy? Race promoters are trying to save lives. Does not bother me extra miles in a SZ if it keeps us away from people where we go full speed. Whats 10 or 20 min on a 20 hour race. If they did a start in Ojos it would take hours to get there in traffic and be a huge mess.

BajaFand

Reaction
My question is why have a 3rd race out of Ensenada? Could San Quintin support a SCORE race?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Honda48X

Reaction
Why does everyone cry about a speed zone? SCORE tacks on more miles to off set that. Is there some ratio SZ to full speed that makes everyone happy? Race promoters are trying to save lives. Does not bother me extra miles in a SZ if it keeps us away from people where we go full speed. Whats 10 or 20 min on a 20 hour race. If they did a start in Ojos it would take hours to get there in traffic and be a huge mess.
Just making a point: 80% of those spectators that were in a speed zone this year most likely will not be in the same spot next year. They are going to move because they want to see fast speeds and a race. Would you want to take your kids to NASCAR and have them announce because of safety they implemented a speed zone in front of the grandstand. People will figure it out and move.

Kyle D

Reaction
Just making a point: 80% of those spectators that were in a speed zone this year most likely will not be in the same spot next year. They are going to move because they want to see fast speeds and a race. Would you want to take your kids to NASCAR and have them announce because of safety they implemented a speed zone in front of the grandstand. People will figure it out and move.
Apples and oranges don’t grow on the same tree.