What's the best Digital Video Cam for the money ??

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
Re: What\'s the best Digital Video Cam for the mone

it really all depends what you want it for.
The resolution varies greatly from one to another. Is the image quality difference very apparent? well it depends on the size and quality of the screen its being displayed on.
The price for MDV has dropped dramatically and if you shop around you can get for only a couple of bucks more than a hi8.
You specifically make mention of the zoom features, well the more you have, the more need there is for a tripod. You might be thinking it might be convenient to have 20x zoom, and then you use it, but when you look at your footage, you realize its pretty crappy and that the image is everywhere, which in turn makes it into an incovenience.
IMO I say spend the extra bucks and buy the minidv, preferably a sony.
Also, all mini dv cams have a digital output, usually firewire, which allows you to easily import stuff onto your computer. HI8's have analog outs and you need a capture device to do any computer related work.
hope it helps

dcman008

Reaction

its tru that its is all tape... but if you look at quality, the print media does not play a big difference untell you go to bata cams and/or film. the next cam up form mine on sony line is the pd-150... one of the main reasons its "better" then the vx-2k is that it can record at full dv instead of 4to3 compression like a normal mindv... but they both use the same tapes and the difference is noticeable. to add to the last post if you use an analog connection you lose quality.

"on a scale of one to ten...i think im at least a bagillion!"
live long 91 cors-a-truck

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction

i just found out about the pd-150 like a week ago and i think im in love.

Attachments

• 24-53765-197878.jpg
    24-53765-197878.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 85

dcman008

Reaction

ya that cam is sweet ... the day after i got my vx i went to my uncles house to show it off. he was like I got u beat and pulled out 3 new pd-150s. hes a pro surf filmer so hes got all the good ish

"on a scale of one to ten...i think im at least a bagillion!"
live long 91 cors-a-truck

Tim

Reaction

well, I'm in the mood to beat a dead horse, sooo It sounds like minidv(sony preferably) is the way to go for someone who only wants to spend around $500 bucks. Are there any features or amounts of zoom or stabilizing features that I want to make sure it has so I dont feel stupid later. And lastly, do most of these cameras come with some kind of upload/editing software so I can make weak ass little videos of my adventures.
Thank you, Tim