What's the story with zinc and camshafts???

atomicjoe23

Reaction
What's the story with the zinc?

I've heard people mention using "zinc" when breaking in a cam twice now on this forum but I've never heard of it before now (not that I've installed any new cams before though. . .so I'm not calling BS, I'm just not familiar with it). . .

. . .I've got several engine rebuild books and I DVR every episode of PowerBlock TV and Gearz and I don't ever remember them mentioning it before either.

What does the zinc do. . .beside the obvious "protect the cam". . .shat specifically does the zinc do to protect the valvetrain?

The only thing I've heard is to coat the cam lobes, lifter faces, and pushrod tips with assembly lube and to lube the cam journals and lifter sides with engine oil.

If I run engine break-in oil will this have the zinc in it? or is something separate I have to get?

1audiohack

Reaction
Zinc is one of the few extreme pressure addatives used in conventional engine oil. Molybdeum and phosphorus are a couple of others. The E.P. in gear oils are not soft metal and few are yellow metal friendly.

Zinc is a disolved soft metalic that is great for sliding hard metal to hard metal interfaces like flat tappet lifters on camshafts. It has been removed from virtually every HMO engine oil as it reduces the life of catalytic converters by plating them (with zinc) like leaded gasoline will with lead. It has even been removed from the diesel oils, like Delo 400 is now Delo 400 LE, no metalics.

Engine oil has changed! If your engine oil does not state that it has zinc in it, you can bet it does not. That's one of the reasons almost all newer engines are roller cams. There are addatives like ZDP or racing oils like Joe Gibbs that have all the good stuff in them. Some of the more expensive oils like Schaeffer's use highly processed molybdeum (the clear stuff) that protects very well. Moly is one of the most expensive oil addatives, most oils now just go without.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
So I could just grab a bottle of zinc additive and toss it in. . .then prime the engine to get it mixed up really good before I start the engine?

Is one bottle enough (although I'm sure the additive bottles tell you how much to add it would be nice to know ahead of time)?

Thanks for cluing me in!

jeff

Reaction
GM has a special break in lube that can be added to conventional oil.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-88862586

I learned the hard way on a BBC in my boat that a reduction in ZDDP (zinc), not a total elimination of zinc, can cause lifter and cam lobe failure. It was an expensive lesson in motor oils and how they've changed over the years. Diesel oils like Rotella with the CJ-4 spec generally have higher ZDDP levels than "Gasoline Engine Oils" but it's nowhere near as high as the old CI-4 spec. Some guys are still using certain Rotella oils as a low buck alternative to the racing oils. I decided to rebuild the motor with a roller cam to prevent future problems from occuring. Whatever you do, don't fire your new motor until you get the right oil in it! A quick Google of "high zinc racing oil" should give you plenty of options.

Aloha

Attachments

• IMG_3335.jpg
    IMG_3335.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 376

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Thanks for the heads up!

Does it make a difference if it's not a new cam, but only new lifters. . .I would think not, it would make sense that you still have to wear the new lifters to the cam. . .

That picture is scary!!!

jeff

Reaction
That picture is scary!!!

You should have seen the lifters! I saved two of them as reminders. This was an engine that had maybe 100 hours on it when the cam and lifters took a dump. Reformulated oil ruined an otherwise excellent running motor. :mad:

Aloha

ChromolyKid

Reaction
I have a bit of experience with this as I recently rebuilt a 350 with a flat tappet cam, and all I can tell you is that the zinc is absolutely 100% necessary for a flat tappet cam, EVERY oil change. Put a bottle in every time because your lifters will mushroom if you don't. Glad I sold that turd flat cam and bought a full roller with the money :)

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I totally believe you guys, but at the same time I'm scratching my head. . .I pulled the lifters from this engine and they had very little wear. . .they definitely weren't mushroomed. . .and I can guarantee that the previous owner wasn't adding zinc every oil change.

I believe that it's necessary for cam break in (whether that's a new cam and lifters, or just new lifters) but every oil change? I don't think many people do that.

I'm just curious here. . .

scottm

Reaction
Good advice given in this thread. Yes street oil has less zinc and phosphorous now, and its not enough for a flat tappet cam. And yes there are millions of ft engines still running around without enough zinc. The key is valvespring pressure, rpm, and wether its already broken in or not. All new ft cams have to be broken in with a special oil like Joe Gibbs Breakin or regular oil with an additive, like gm EOS or the stuff from ZDDPlus.com. I use a Torco additive I get from my machine shop, but its hard to find. All real racing oils (non dot) have enough too, but they are very expensive and do not have normal detergents and stuff that street engines should have. Regular trucks and cars with low perf cams in normal driving may not ever have a problem, but they probably will eventually. I always use a supplement in my ft engines from now on.

http://www.zddplus.com/
http://www.compcams.com/Base/pdf/FlatTappetCamTechBulletin.pdf

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I didn't take into account spring pressure. . .I guess that and how aggressive the lobe profile is (and maybe if you have hardened lifters?) are the two biggest contributors to camshaft lobe wear

jeff

Reaction
Seriously? Run whatever oil you want. When the lifters are destroyed and the cam goes flat in your recently rebuilt motor you can pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Aloha

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Seriously? Run whatever oil you want. When the lifters are destroyed and the cam goes flat in your recently rebuilt motor you can pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Aloha

. . .little harsh there don't you think?

. . .I'm just trying to learn from you guys. . .plus it's not a rebuilt motor, more like freshened up ever so slightly. It's a $200 used motor out of a '79 K-Blazer (but less than 100K miles). . .all I've done is replace all the gaskets, paint it, and replace the intake manifold and carb.

If it eats the cam and lifters it, then it eats the cam and lifters. . .lesson learned and not that expensive of a lesson either, a cam costs about $150 and lifters are about $50, so for $200 I've got a new cam (something I plan on doing in the future anyway). . .although I do plan on using the zinc additive. I was just stating that I thought it curious for it to be such a big deal about the zinc and in 15 years of driving I've never used it or even heard about it before outside of an occasional reference to new cams, but never for regular everyday use.

I'm asking you guys because you have more experience than me and I hope that by asking I can avoid the mistakes that others have made ahead of me. . .and I take the advice that I get, but I'm entitled to ask questions to clarify. . .the internet is like TV, you can't believe everything your hear (read. . .)

63chevyll

Reaction
this is easy,
run whatever oil you want with a 1 can og BG MOA and you will be fine,

also, you wont always be able to tell if a lifter is good or bad by just looking at the bottom.

they are slightly convex and you wont be able to see it with your eye, when the wear they become flat, then mushroomed

I buy MOA by the case at Napa or Advanced auto parts. It has been prooven stuff and i have proof!!!! THE STUFF WORKS VERY WELL PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&prev=/images?q=BG+MOA&hl=en&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1

rich1

Reaction
does anyone have any experience with amsoil and flat tappet motors. I talked to my amsoil guy and he said it worked well, but I would rather hear from someone less biased. I use the signature series 0w-30.

philofab